Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Steam & Excursion > Long Shadows Are Cast By This Little Mixed Train In Long Ravine!

Date: 08/30/15 04:42
Long Shadows Are Cast By This Little Mixed Train In Long Ravine!
Author: LoggerHogger

We have an unusual perspective of both shortline railroading and mainline railroading in this fine photo taken by W. Sievers in February 1938.

Mr. Sievers has walked out onto the Southern Pacific's Long Ravine Viaduct trestle just outside of Colfax, California to capture this fine view of Nevada County Narrow Gauge #8 and her mixed train as they approach Colfax from Grass Valley.  The sun is beginning to set on the little narrow gauge train as it makes it's way through Long Ravine and on to it's final destination.  #8 has her winter plow afixed to her pilot to be ready for the Sierra snows that she might encounter along the her trip on the 3' gauge line.

Mainline trains still traverse the Long Ravine Trestle as they cross Donner Pass on the Country's original cross-continental rail route.  Only shadows remain however in Long Ravine to remind us that the little narrow gauge once ran her too.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/15 04:51 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 08/30/15 05:54
Re: Long Shadows Are Cast By This Little Mixed Train In Long Ravi
Author: jkh2cpu

Interesting shot, Martin. I always enjoy your daily postings of oldies but goodies :-)

John.

Date: 08/30/15 06:48
Author: TexasRocket

This shot is so crisp and clear that it looks as if it could have been taken yesterday. Very nice!

Date: 08/30/15 08:44
Author: LJohnson

Beautiful shot!

Posted from Android

Date: 08/30/15 09:22
Author: sixbit

Martin:

Thanks for posting that nice photo of NCNG. The contrast of the short and small narrow gauge freight/mixed trains of times past and today's container/unit trains is prety stark. Judging from old switch lists and tales of old crews there used to be much more intra-line freight deliveries between towns on-line than the simple empties in, loads out operations of today. In short, the railroad connected towns to each other within the same geographic area and therefore was more of an intrinsic part of the communities.

Then NCNG has a personal connection, as my Aunt was married to Fred Hawke Jr. They lived in Colfax up on the hill behind the old depot. Our family used to go visit for a few days at a time and side from being a great place to see the SP's Cab Forwards thunder through three at a time with 100+ cars, Fred had an old NCNG speeder out in the back of the garage. Fred's father was an engineer on the NCNG and Fred must have been ended up caring for it after his dad passed away. I have no idea what ever happened to that old speeder, but I do remember playing on it and poking around Colfax from the SP yards to out around Oilville - under the supervision of my dad as I was very young.

That photo really captures the uniquness of shortline narrow gauge operations as well as their attraction as a sort of railrodading we'll never see again.

Thanks agian,

John

Date: 08/30/15 10:15
Author: LoggerHogger

John,

Glad you liked the photo.  Thanks for sharing your story of your connection. 

Martin

Date: 08/30/15 16:16
Author: refarkas

Absolutely amazing - One of the best steam images I have seen.
Bob

Date: 08/30/15 18:07
Author: coach

What a great tourist line that would be if it were still in place!  Colfax to Grass Valley, then go tour the EMPIRE STATE MINE.

Date: 08/31/15 09:07
Author: wingomann

Is Long Ravine where I80 goes today?

Date: 08/31/15 12:42
Author: BoilingMan

Yes. The train as shown would just be entering oncoming WB traffic head on.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.038 seconds