Home Open Account Help 394 users online

Steam & Excursion > 765 at Del. Water Gap Next Weekend?

Date: 08/30/15 21:05
765 at Del. Water Gap Next Weekend?
Author: dal3294

I plan to go see 765 next weekend on its run to the Deleware Water Gap. Question is, where is the train stopping and where will they turn it for the trip back to Steamtown? Cant seem to find that info anywhere. 

-Ryan N.

Date: 08/30/15 21:07
Re: 765 at Del. Water Gap Next Weekend?
Author: TrackGuy

I would expect push - pull ops with diesels as I do not believe there are any turning facilities other than the TT at Steamtown itself.  I could be wrong though...

TrackGuy

Date: 08/30/15 21:11

Theres a wye south of Stroudsburg PA that I can see on google maps. Still not sure if thats where they will (or will not) turn it.

-Ryan N. 

Date: 08/31/15 06:05
Author: njmidland

Supposedly, they are going to turn 765 on the wye at Portland, PA.  Route 611 follows the railroad from the Town of Delaware Water Gap to Portland.  The Delaware Lackawanna Railroad interchanges with Norfolk Southern at the tiny hamlet of Slateford (at Slateford Jct.).  There is a small road that follows the railroad through this town then rejoins 611 just north of Portland.  The only spot for a photo here iswhere this line goes through a "tunnel" under the Delaware River Viaduct that used to carry the Lackawanna Cutoff overhead.  In Portland two spots for an interesting photo would be by the toll collectors house (there was a covered bridge destroyed in the 1955 flood, replaced by a footbridge) and by the former DL&W station.

Between Delaware Water Gap and Slateford the "usual" photo spot is "Point of Gap".  There is a large public parking lot here and lots of potential angles working in Mt. Tatamy on the NJ side.

Date: 08/31/15 10:17
Author: Rich_Melvin

We will turn the train on the wye at Portland.

Rich Melvin
Columbus, OH
My Web Site

Date: 08/31/15 12:36
Author: TamaquaTim

Where will the runby take place?
Thanks, TT

Date: 08/31/15 12:41
Author: HotWater

TamaquaTim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Where will the runby take place?
> Thanks, TT

What "runby".  I didn't think they did those anymore, due to the insurance issues. Besides, it you are not a paying passenger, why would runby information be important?

Date: 08/31/15 13:10

HotWater Wrote:
> TamaquaTim Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Where will the runby take place?
> > Thanks, TT
>
> What "runby".  I didn't think they did those
> anymore, due to the insurance issues. Besides, it
> you are not a paying passenger, why would runby
> information be important?

What so someone whos not a paying passenger cant view a runby from a public location? I see no issues with that.

-Ryan.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/31/15 19:21
Author: NKP779

Plenty of tickets- even dome and DOVER HARBOR are available for both the Saturday and Monday trips on the Delaware-Lackawanna RR (former DL&W mainline) from Steamtown east to the Delaware Water Gap (Saturday) and East Stroudsburg (Monday).  Go to 765.org.  Rugged mountain railroading with a 1.9% grade at Devil's Hole and a photo runby.

Date: 09/01/15 11:01
Author: bigjim4life

HotWater Wrote:
> TamaquaTim Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Where will the runby take place?
> > Thanks, TT
>
> What "runby".  I didn't think they did those
> anymore, due to the insurance issues. Besides, it
> you are not a paying passenger, why would runby
> information be important?

HotWater,

I'm attaching a screenshot directly from the FWRHS's page describing the Phoebe Snow trip - including that there will be a photo runby enroute.  It doesn't say where or when, so it may not be at or anywhere near the Water Gap.

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Date: 09/01/15 11:24
Author: HotWater

Thanks. Since the trip is NOT on Norfolk Southern, plus there would be no other trains at all on that line, a photo runby can, and apparently will, be performed. Hope they keep the location secret, however.

Date: 09/01/15 12:21
Author: njmidland

HotWater Wrote:
> Thanks. Since the trip is NOT on Norfolk Southern,
> plus there would be no other trains at all on that
> line, a photo runby can, and apparently will, be
> performed. Hope they keep the location secret,
> however.

For the Saturday trip there may be a regular DL freight train on the line as that is once of the normal interchange days at Slateford Jct. with NS.  They have handled a passenger train on that end of the line and a freight on the same day before.

Date: 09/01/15 17:32
Author: sscannella

Highly doubt there will be a PT98 to the Portland over the weekend, nor for that matter an H74/76 from the NS side.  The Wye at Portland is used by the NS job, and I doubt anyone will take a chance on that being tied up.

njmidland Wrote:

>
> For the Saturday trip there may be a regular DL
> freight train on the line as that is once of the
> normal interchange days at Slateford Jct. with
> NS.  They have handled a passenger train on that
> end of the line and a freight on the same day
> before.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1107 seconds