Home Open Account Help 213 users online

Steam & Excursion > Removing L&N 152's cab

Date: 09/01/15 16:37
Removing L&N 152's cab
Author: Baxtersta

The tear down for overhaul of L&N 4-6-2 continued this past weekend at the Kentucky Railway Museum.  Lots of external pipes and more components were removed by volunteers.  The most dramatic removal was the locomotive's cab.  Shown here are the lift and the backhead after removal of the cab.  All of this is leading toward ultrasonic of the boiler and evaluation of the running gear.  See also Crew 152 on Facebook.  

Date: 09/01/15 18:09
Re: Removing L&N 152's cab
Author: krm152

Thanks very much for the photo update.  Never thought I would see 152's cab removed a second time.
ALLEN

Date: 09/02/15 10:36
Author: rcall31060

The locomotive crane looks as though it would be right at home on a European RR e.g., Germany.  Who manufactured it and what is it's heritage?

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

Date: 09/02/15 18:16
Author: krm152

BOB:
The crane was manufactured by American Crane.  The name is on the counterweight on the back of the cab.
My guess is that it was built for the Army and that KRM acquired it through the government surplus program.
ALLEN

Date: 09/03/15 10:05
Author: rcall31060

Allen,

thanks for that info.  It would not surprise me at all, that this crane was built for the US Army, probably for use overseas, where restricted clearances are abundant.  That's not your typical American Hoist and Derrick upper works house design.  I wonder how many of these were built by AH&D?

krm152 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BOB:
> The crane was manufactured by American Crane. 
> The name is on the counterweight on the back of
> the cab.
> My guess is that it was built for the Army and
> that KRM acquired it through the government
> surplus program.
> ALLEN

Bob Callahan
Monticello, IN

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2698 seconds