Home Open Account Help 326 users online

Steam & Excursion > Saginaw Timber #2 owner and Mid-Continent at odds?

Date: 09/02/15 18:38
Saginaw Timber #2 owner and Mid-Continent at odds?
Author: SteveC

This was posted on the Mid-Continent bbs site and the #2 facebook page.   It sure has me scratching my head as to what is going on there.

Ryan SummertonAugust 31 at 8:16amThis is why I'm not renewing membership to MCRM. Sad news about ST#2.... I've been coming to MC every year for many years. Was in attendance at the FRA test. Everyone was in a good mood because there was HOPE for steam to return. Now they are punishing the owner, Mr. Lichter. Sad to see such politics in play again. Hope the owner decides to find a new home for the engine.... Per the members forum: "I have been directed by the Board to inform the membership of the following: To Mr. Roland Lichter, The Board has determined that you violated and went against a board order dated August 6, 2014 of being suspended from the Operating Department. By your own admission to director Doering, you operated engine #2, causing the engine to move under its own power on engine house track #2. While under suspension from Operations, you were not allowed to do any moves. The Board, with a quorum of 10 directors, voted unanimously to suspend your membership, all its privileges, and you are not allowed on Mid-Continent property for a period of 90 days beginning the date you are served with this letter (served on 8-30-15), without written permission from the President. I have given Mr. Lichter written permission to complete the following projects now in progress: 1. Complete and install a storm door and enclosure on the #2. 2. Complete the winterization of the #2. 3. Repair the small fork lift's starter. 4. Repair the bobcat's steering mechanism. 5. Gather up and secure his tools. The above permission is granted for these projects only, nothing else. Jeffrey B. Bloohm, President"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/15 18:39 by SteveC.

Date: 09/02/15 19:00
Re: Saginaw Timber #2 owner and Mid-Continent at odds?
Author: SR_Krause

Based on a little research, I strongly suspect there's more to this story than this statement. If Mr. Lichter is suspended from operating at Mid-Continent, I strongly suspect there's more than a shallow reason why. Violating operating rules is a serious matter.

SRK

Steve Krause
Chillicothe, IL

Date: 09/02/15 19:06
Author: HotWater

From what I have learned over the past few years, the board president has had no real interest in steam returning to Mid-Continent anyway, and has taken ever opportunity to put hurdles up for Skip to jump over. I to would love to see Skip take his locomotive to a museum that would appreciate an OPERATING steam locomotive, which is FRA compliant.

Date: 09/02/15 19:10
Author: callum_out

That e-mail sounds like something sent from a recent elect to a homeowner's association board!

Out

Date: 09/02/15 19:33
Author: NathanNon-Lifting

Sounds like there are a few individuals who are upset that they were not in attenence for
the engine's first steps under its own power....

Date: 09/02/15 20:05
Author: Milepost_130

What a pity!  Many friends of mine and I enjoyed so many fine times at MCRM in the 1980s, particularly during the then annual winter "Snow Train" weekends.

It is a great pity that the management of museums like MCRM seem not to appreciate the attraction operating steam locomotives represent.

Date: 09/02/15 20:17
Author: SteveC

As Hot Water has posted, it seems like the museum placed a lot of hurdles in the way of this project over the last several years.  Keeping him out of the engine house over the winter, cutting off heat and electricity, etc... All issues that could have been resolved, but seemed to indicate a less than mutual mission to return steam to the museum.  I don't have any insight as to what the Pi##ing match is about, but it is really sad.  The wording of this seems to indicate that someone had been watching to see if Mr. Lichter actually moved his locomotive under it's own power to "catch" them at it instead of a reminder in the nature of, "Oh, by the way, remember, if you need or plan to move her under her own power, make sure John Doe is at the throttle until we work out the stuff from last year."  That would have been proactive..........

Steve

Date: 09/03/15 06:43
Author: fehorse1

Does anyone have Skip's email address.  I'd like to get in touch with him.

Pete Replinger

Date: 09/03/15 16:57
Author: TrackGuy

SteveC, now that would require way too much common sense. Always sad to see adults behaving badly. What's his nearest alternative railroad or museum? Let's start thinking outside the box. Sounds like it's high time he shake the dust off his shoes and move on.

TrackGuy

Posted from Android

Date: 09/03/15 21:35
Author: CPRR

If it was me, I would quietly arrange for the low boy truck, a crane, and the local sheriff to be there as I take my steam locomotive out of there. Period

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/05/15 00:46
Author: IC_2024

I remember Dr Phil Hastings when he was President of Mid-Continent smoking his pipe and watching all of the ego wars/conflicts/altercations when I was a kid back in the 70's at the museum.
As a practicing Psychiatrist, he had plenty of opportunity to hone his craft by observing seemingly grown men behaving very badly as the volunteer army struggled to run the place while sometimes battling each other at the same time.
As sad as this is, I'm not surprised to see it...  Richard Hinebaugh "took his toys" off the property years ago and formed his Kettle Moraine RR (now defunct).  As life members, both my dad and I enjoyed many happy times there, and I went on to learn how to fire the 1385 during the summer '97.  As a career railroader, I really don't have the stomach to deal with the egos and in-fighting--especially when I deal with that on the mainline, everyday.  Maybe when I retire in 8 years, I'll change my mind. 

Date: 09/23/15 07:28
Author: 1916CASE

The short story is the museum has to pay Skip up to $200,000. when the engine is approved for running. The board is doing everything it can so this money wont get paid.
Skip pulled the throttle of HIS engine for the first time in 15 years. The engine moved about 100 feet.
Skip was under a order to not operate any engines.  So the board took this action.
Pretty small on the boards part.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0793 seconds