Home Open Account Help 395 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam Into History Railfan Day

Date: 09/29/15 15:54
Steam Into History Railfan Day
Author: ChooChooDennis

Steam Into History operates a Civil War era heritage train from New Freedom, PA to Hanover Junction PA. The locomotive is 4-4-0 steam locomotive “York”, a reproduction of a typical American Standard engine once common in American during the mid to late 19th Century. It was built by the Kloke Locomotive Works LLC in 2013.  Its design came from O’Connor Engineering 1970's blueprints that were used for creating the replicas of Union Pacific No. 119 and Central Pacific “Jupiter” locomotives that can be seen at the NPS Golden Spike National Historic Site in Utah. The passenger cars are wooden and built on steel flatcars.

I have wanted to see this operation for a couple of years and I finally got there. Steve Barry and Michael Burkhart conducted an excellent day and night of railfan photography in conjunction with Steam Into History's regular weekend of crew members in period costume on September 26, 2015. Here are shots of mine that are pretty much what I saw. (To paraphrase Jim Shaughnessy.)

1. No. 17's engineer is doing the time honored "oiling around" of his locomotive. The building in the background is the Hanover Junction station. 
Abraham Lincoln passed this building to and from Gettysburg. His funeral train did the same. 

This view of No. 17, the York, is from inside the Hanover Junction Pennsylvania station. There is the very real possibility Abraham Lincoln looked out at this window at pretty much the same scene.

3. This view again is from inside the Hanover Junction Pennsylvania station. I lucked out on this one for the locomotive was moving. Most of it lined up with the mullions. Note the bell's bottom does so as well even though it is being manually rung by the fireman.

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/15 16:19 by ChooChooDennis.

Date: 09/29/15 16:01
Re: Steam Into History Railfan Day

Civl War reenactors are seen aboard Steam Into History's train to Hanover Junction PA. Having worn costumes myself, I understand how wearing clothing different from your everyday ones does affect how you feel and stand. Note how the men in military uniform strike very powerful, masculine poses while the women in their hoop skirts are demure and in repose. Riding at dusk, gently rocking in this car, hearing the chuff and the whistle moans of the steam locomotive "York", was one of my greatest time machine experiences ever. 

4. Troops on their way to battle.

5. No. 17's engineer is doing the time honored "oiling around" of his locomotive.

6. No. 17 and it's train somewhere north of New Freedom PA.

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Date: 09/29/15 16:03

I would have to say that Steam Into History is about as authentic a history experience as can be realized. The locomotive, while a replica finished in 2013, is based on locomotives built in the 1860's. The crew, including the passengers, on special occasions wear period clothing. But perhaps the most telling detail is the history that rode it's track for no less than Abraham Lincoln traveled this route to and from delivering the Gettysburg address as well as sadly in his funeral train.
Looking at this view at Hanover Junction, Pennsylvania recently, you can feel like our forbears' and how they moved around at night since all they had were lighting devices with single flames. Without the super bright light we have with our cars, street lights, and buildings, our eyes acclimate very much to the dark. In the past before electricity a great deal could and did happen in lighting I would say most people today would find uncomfortable.
My hat's off to Steam Into History, Steve Barry and Michael Burkhart for creating this wonderful tableau for me and a few dozen people to greatly enjoy.

7. No. 17 and train at dusk at Hanover Junction, PA.

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/15 16:13 by ChooChooDennis.

Date: 09/29/15 16:22
Author: Tominde

Well done Mathew Brady. You got those plates developed in no time.  Nice composition.    Well done by the folks of Steam into History.   I really need to get there. 

Date: 09/29/15 17:13
Author: Cole42

They're all nice shots but that last one is outstanding!

Date: 09/29/15 17:52
Author: CPR_4000

I like the wrinkly glass and the shot inside the coach. Also the first image. I didn't know color had been invented in 1865!

Date: 09/29/15 17:54

Actually, I found these B&W images and colorized them.   :-)

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Date: 09/29/15 18:23
Author: CPR_4000

ChooChooDennis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Actually, I found these B&W images and colorized
> them.   :-)

Not so far-fetched:
http://www.businessinsider.com/amazing-american-civil-war-photos-turned-into-glorious-color-2013-10

Date: 09/29/15 21:22

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ChooChooDennis Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Actually, I found these B&W images and
> colorized
> > them.   :-)
>
> Not so far-fetched:
> http://www.businessinsider.com/amazing-american-ci
> vil-war-photos-turned-into-glorious-color-2013-10

I saw this series when it came out and I can say it was the inspiration for what I was trying to do with the colors shown above.

Dennis Livesey
New York, NY

Date: 09/30/15 01:40
Author: ClubCar

Great photos all of them and thanks for sharing them with us.  If you have not been there, everyone reading this needs to ride this historic train.  If you are in the Maryland or Southern Pennsylvania area, this makes a great one day trip for the whole family.  The old Northern Central Railroad itself is very scenic, lots of farm land and quiet little towns.

Date: 09/30/15 07:54
Author: YG

Well done!

Steve Mitchell
[b]http://www.yardgoatimages.com[/b]

Date: 10/04/15 09:29
Author: Auburn_Ed

Exceptional!

Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0817 seconds