Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Steam & Excursion > SP&S 700 Pioneer Chris McLarney Passes

Date: 09/30/15 16:42
SP&S 700 Pioneer Chris McLarney Passes
Author: EMDSW-1

Today we lost another good friend in northwest railroading circles with the passing of Chris B. McLarney. Chris' passing follows our loss of OPR volunter and former UP "Runthrough Yardmaster" Fred Rouse and previous to Fred Dick Yager of the SP 4449 crew.

Chris, who worked at Portland Union Station as a supervisor for the AMTRAK contractor, had been battling cancer for several years and was down to a couple of days a week at his job. The last time I talked with him last week he told me that they had taken him off some of his treatment and  that he was feeling somewhat better.

Chris is known for his determination to bring the 700 back to life eventually and spent many hours riding his bicycle to Oaks Park where the 700 was stored to oil and polish "The Lady" as she was known. Chris is more recently known for his perfectly restored UP caboose which he sometimes allowed us to use on our excursion trains. The caboose is now on display at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center in Portland.

We all owe Chris a big "thank you" for his perserverance and love for historic preservation.

Rest in peace my friend.

Dick Samuels
Oregon Pacific Railroad 

Date: 09/30/15 16:49
Re: SP&S 700 Pioneer Chris McLarney Passes
Author: HotWater

Darn! Another loss of an old friend.  May he rest in peace, and our condolences to his family & friends.

Date: 09/30/15 17:03
Author: asheldrake

WOW, while I knew he wasn't doing well this is a real shocker.   Chris was a good guy who cared a LOT about railroad preservation and a nice guy.   He would spend time in his caboose cupula reading and watching the train traffic go by....  He preserved caboose is a classic example...the details are outstanding.  RIP Chris.    Arlen

Date: 09/30/15 17:10
Author: asheldrake

That is the McLarney happy place Chris.....sitting in his cupala.......GREAT picture........Arlen

Date: 09/30/15 17:35
Author: 007

Thanks for posting Dick.
RIP Chris. Another good friend lost so suddenly. The signifcance of this photo is that I was able to obtain the station sign from Graham which he had his eye on for years. This was the day he got it, hence the celebratory rosettes affixed to it! He was absolutely delighted to be the new owner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/15 17:57 by 007.

Date: 09/30/15 17:38
Author: Frisco1522

Seems like this has been a bad year for losing good guys.

Date: 09/30/15 18:07
Author: Jim700

What a loss of a great friend.  Chris (in blue coat) is pictured here along with George Landrock in this photo which George posted of the 2009 Oregon Rail Heritage Center's Holiday Express.  George had relieved me on the hours of service for the last run of the day and Leia Knight (now George's wife) took this photo before the engine was shut down for the night at Oaks Park.

Following Jack Holst's untimely passing it was Chris (who was a teenager at the time) who picked up the torch in the quest to continue preserving the SP&S 700.  It was exposed to the elements and vandals at Oaks Park in southeast Portland and it was Chris' efforts which assured that it could remain a candidate for eventual restoration to service which was accomplished in 1990.

Amtrak engineers and conductors in Portland own a tremendous debt to Chris for his work ethic in his position as a mechanic, and eventually the PDX manager for, Drummac, Inc. which is the contractor which provides Amtrak's mechanical service in Portland.  Prior to my retirement from Amtrak, I spent many years running out of Portland being the grateful recipient of Chris' above-and-beyond attitude in getting needed repairs accomplished in spite of having so little resources to accomplish the job.  Chicago, Los Angeles and Seattle mechanical departments would routinely dispatch previously reported bad-order equipment as though they were taking advantage of Chris' get-it-done attitude at Portland.

Chris, my friend, rest in peace.  After so many, many years of approach and restricted speed signals in your health it's now time for clear blocks only.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/15 18:41 by Jim700.

Date: 09/30/15 19:53
Author: 830-east

So sad to hear of his passing.  I had know Chris since the early 70"s.  Long live the 700 and UP 25198   I hope his collection will be cared for. 

Date: 09/30/15 20:14
Author: px320

Very sad to hear. Chris looked the Pony Express over many times on its journeys through Portland. The last time I was there in 2012 and I don't think he was working those 2 days.

Date: 09/30/15 20:34
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

What a bummer!  I never knew Chris, and am awed by
all he did,.  What a great exampl;e he set for everyone.
I had no idea he was the one who picked up where Jack
Holst left off with the 700 when Jack died so young.

I, too, hope that the others he inspired will care for the
700 and the UP 25198 with skill and love.  I think they will.

My deep condolences to Chris' family and friends and
co-workers.  R.I.P. sir, and clear blocks forever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/30/15 21:31 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 09/30/15 21:37
Author: patd3985

Oh Man, I so sorry to hear this news! Chris was a "good'n" and would always be happy to talk to anyone about the 700 and railroading! "Kick 'em in the clear and tie up", old friend!

Date: 10/01/15 00:24
Author: nomosantafe

EMDSW-1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Today we lost another good friend in northwest
> railroading circles with the passing of Chris B.
> McLarney. Chris' passing follows our loss of OPR
> volunter and former UP "Runthrough Yardmaster"
> Fred Rouse and previous to Fred Dick Yager of the
> SP 4449 crew.
>
> Chris, who worked at Portland Union Station as a
> supervisor for the AMTRAK contractor, had been
> battling cancer for several years and was down to
> a couple of days a week at his job. The last time
> I talked with him last week he told me that they
> had taken him off some of his treatment and  that
> he was feeling somewhat better.
>
> Chris is known for his determination to bring the
> 700 back to life eventually and spent many hours
> riding his bicycle to Oaks Park where the 700 was
> stored to oil and polish "The Lady" as she was
> known. Chris is more recently known for his
> perfectly restored UP caboose which he sometimes
> allowed us to use on our excursion trains. The
> caboose is now on display at the Oregon Rail
> Heritage Center in Portland.
>
> We all owe Chris a big "thank you" for his
> perserverance and love for historic preservation.
>
> Rest in peace my friend.
>
> Dick Samuels
> Oregon Pacific Railroad 

So sorry to hear of Chris's passing. 

I used to give him a hard time by calling the 700 group "The 700 Club' (after a religious group's TV show).

He would say , we are NOT a religious organization and I would respond telling him it was hard to tell, as they  "worshipped "that locomotive.

He would just smile and shake his head.  He was a good guy and thank God he did worship that engine.  A lot of naysayers said it would never leave the Oaks Park, and guess what? - they were wrong!

I had the privilige of chasing it thru the Yakima River Canyon in the fall of 1990 - what a trip!

Rest in Peace Chris  you deserve it.

Here's a photo of Chris and Roger Hancock working on the 4449 in the spring of 1984.

Nomosantafe
Portland, Oregon
"Pacific Wonderland"

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/15 08:19 by nomosantafe.

Date: 10/01/15 03:09
Author: 494

Beyond sad to hear this, i hadn't seen him in a while & evidently i didn't realize just how sick he was. 
Here is Chris giving a roll by to the Coast Starlight #14 at Willsburg Jct in November 2011, now we're all giving you the highball Chris. 

Date: 10/01/15 04:44
Author: LoggerHogger

Very sad news to lose a freind of steam railroading of the calibur of Chris.  He will be missed by so many of us.  God's Speed Chris.

Martin

Date: 10/01/15 12:54
Author: Ardenwood

My humble tribute.

Date: 10/01/15 19:31
Author: nycman

So sorry to hear this.  He did great work and left us much too young.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0718 seconds