Home Open Account Help 224 users online

Steam & Excursion > Wednesday morning's freight from Antonito

Date: 10/01/15 19:44
Wednesday morning's freight from Antonito
Author: jbwest

This chartered freight left Antonito early Wednesday morning. Two engines and 36 cars. It was an amazing sight for 2015, 48 years after the DRGW abandoned freight service, and represents an amazing preservation effort on the part of the C&TS and the Friends of the C&TS. This was the final day of three days of charters sponsored by Steam Specials. 

JBWX

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/15 20:32 by jbwest.

Date: 10/01/15 19:58
Re: Wednesday morning's freight from Antonito
Author: The_Chief_Way

It is amazing that not only are there authentic steam locomotives that are operational, but ALL THOSE
ancient wooden freight cars that still roll.  THAT'S amazing.

Date: 10/01/15 20:17

The ancient wooden (and a few steel) frieght cars still role because of the hands on efforts of the Friends of the C&TS, who have taken responsibility for preserving the non-tourist railroad assets.  But the C&TS railroad itself deserves a lot of credit as well, since they have to do most of the freight car running gear maintenance and inspection (as well as maintaing the engines).  This train made it from Antonito to Chama with only one hot box and one replaced air hose, both of which were quickly repaired by the railroad.  The mechanical talents and can do attitude of the railroad employees is absoluted amazing.  The C&TS folks know how to railroad. And they go the extra mile to make stuff like this happen.  And the passenger trains are a good show as well.  It is a great place to visit.

JBWX

Date: 10/01/15 20:50
Author: zephyrus

Awesome.  IMHO, not enough museums preserve freight equipment so it is great to see this.  In Portola, we sometimes get grief for all our "useless" freight cars, but that's a majority of what railroads do and if you just focus on the motive power, you're not telling the real history.

Hats off to C&TS and the Friends.

Z

Date: 10/01/15 21:04
Author: railstiesballast

Wonderful to see.

Date: 10/01/15 22:08
Author: patd3985

Great shot JB! Do you have one that inclides the crummy? That would be the "icing on the cake"!!!

Date: 10/02/15 06:45
Author: mcdeo

Thank you for all involved to preserve this history! 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 10/02/15 07:29
Crummy

I do have a similar picture with the caboose, but being a photographer first and historian second I picked the one that looked "prettier".  I suspect somebody will post the whole enchilada, and if no one else does I will after I get home.

JBWX

Date: 10/02/15 07:36
Re: Crummy
Author: tomstp

John:  did this train have to wait at Toltec due to its length for both passenger trains?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/02/15 07:37 by tomstp.

Date: 10/02/15 07:52

The whole operation was carefully scheduled around the passenger trains so we were in Toltec for the westtbound passenger to run around us, and we met the goose and eastbound train at Osier, all of which happened with minimal delays to any of the trains.

JBWX

Date: 10/02/15 08:35
Author: Jason-Rose

Here's a photo and video showing the Caboose at Apache Crossing. FCTS member Larry Gibson shot these.

Not 100% sure, but looks like 0503.

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/02/15 11:25
Author: tomstp

Re:  the note on the video.  I believe that there was a 37 car tripple engine special run several years ago.

Date: 10/02/15 12:10
Author: Jason-Rose

Thanks, Tom. I've been trying to find out for sure what the longest train was, but haven't yet. I know Ben Greathouse took one down Cumbres to Chama in 70 or 71 that was about 40 cars, but haven't found a concrete number.

Jason Rose
Spring, TX
Rio Grande Explorations

Date: 10/02/15 14:32
Author: Frisco1522

Now that's awesome!

Date: 10/03/15 07:09
Author: drgwrgs

John, the photo is timeless and especially appreciated.  It's so different to see a mid train helper these days.  Thanks for posting this. 

Chris Callaway

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0381 seconds