Home Open Account Help 223 users online

Steam & Excursion > Hocking Valley

Date: 10/04/15 07:49
Hocking Valley
Author: Ohio1987

For the first time in 19 years steam returned to the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway. Former Ohio Power 0-6-0 No.3 pulled excurison trains Saturday even though it was a horrible day for video it didnt keep me down the first location is the Route 33 overpass just outside of Logan Ohio, The 2nd location is Haydenville the stopping point for the shorter of both trips enjoy. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/04/15 08:13 by Ohio1987.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/04/15 08:11
Re: Hocking Valley

Here are a few photos of her at different locations. The first is Haydenville the crew did the servicing there prior to heading back lite power. Photo 2 is of them taking water beside the shop prior to the 230 trip. 

Date: 10/04/15 15:53
Author: ClubCar

Nice videos - I wish the railroad had put the two B&O passenger cars together right behind the locomotive.  And those other green cars, they need to be repainted in B&O colors too to make a great looking train.  Just my opinion.

John in White Marsh

Date: 10/04/15 17:09

Agreed that is one thing that the railroad seems to get wrong. They can't seem to get the painting down they are always changing the looks of the 3 green cars.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/05/15 08:42
Author: NKPBernet

Ohio1987 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For the first time in 19 years steam returned to
> the Hocking Valley Scenic Railway. Former Ohio
> Power 0-6-0 No.3 pulled excurison trains Saturday
> even though it was a horrible day for video it
> didnt keep me down the first location is the Route
> 33 overpass just outside of Logan Ohio, The 2nd
> location is Haydenville the stopping point for the
> shorter of both trips enjoy. 

Great Video, thanks for sharing.. one question for the steam experts.. is there supposed to be that much "Blow By" coming out of the Cylinders? Don't usually see this on other Locomotives...

-Dave

Date: 10/05/15 09:43
Author: grahamline

That must be a lot easier on the track than the LS&I 2-8-0 the railroad opened up with.

Date: 10/05/15 10:07
Author: LarryDoyle

dbesade Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ohio1987 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----

> Great Video, thanks for sharing.. one question for
> the steam experts.. is there supposed to be that
> much "Blow By" coming out of the Cylinders? Don't
> usually see this on other Locomotives...
>
> -Dave

In the video, it shows that there is some work to be done on the packing glands surrounding the piston rods where the enter the cylinder head.  Not serious, I'm sure they'll take car of it.

In the still pictures it's from the drifting valves, which close automatically when the engine is running, but open automatically when stopped to relieve trace amounts of steam leaking at the throttle.  Shows that the throttle also needs a little work "lapping in" the valve against its seat.  Again, not serious - an afernoons work.

She sounds nice and "square" but one beat is a little heavier than the others, so a little time spent timing the valve gear should take care of that.

My hats off to them and SO GLAD to seem them back in steam!

-John Stein

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/15 10:10 by LarryDoyle.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0417 seconds