Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Steam & Excursion > Long Private Photo Charter

Date: 10/04/15 19:57
Long Private Photo Charter
Author: Wacky-roger1942

There has been a lot of negative comments about me flying the morning of the private charter. There is a long discussion about it on the Narrow Gauge Discussion Board.

Until everyone comes up with a better idea what I am going to do is pick my spots early and I will set up when no one is around. If others show up after I am set up so be it I am going to fly. For now 1st come is the number one thing. The last time I moved numerous times when others showed up cuz I was concerned about disturbing them, this will not happen again after reading all the negative posts. http://ngdiscussion.net/phorum/read.php?1,299046

If you show up after me understand I am going to fly and if that bothers you then be first to that location or find a different location.

My decision, no more no less.

Roger Hogan
Chama, NM
Train Stuff

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 10/04/15 19:59
Re: Long Private Photo Charter
Author: Wacky-roger1942

Ooooops my bad I forgot to attach the thumbnail photo.

Roger Hogan
Chama, NM
Train Stuff

Date: 10/04/15 20:59
Author: drggnfan

That"s right Roger, you do a lot for the n.g., for a lot of fans that never get to see.

Don

Date: 10/04/15 20:59
Author: up833

Your ground breaking photography there using the new technology is appreciated by this fan.  Hold your ground as it seems like a good plan to me!
Roger Beckett

Date: 10/04/15 21:28
Author: ajax247

Amazing stuff, keep it up!

Date: 10/04/15 21:28
Author: crackerjackhoghead

Wacky-roger1942 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There has been a lot of negative comments about me
> flying the morning of the private charter. There
> is a long discussion about it on the Narrow Gauge
> Discussion Board.
>
> Until everyone comes up with a better idea what I
> am going to do is pick my spots early and I will
> set up when no one is around. If others show up
> after I am set up so be it I am going to fly.
> If you show up after me understand I am going to
> fly and if that bothers you then be first to that
> location or find a different location.
>
> My decision, no more no less.
>

I'm with you Roger!

Date: 10/04/15 23:40
Author: dan

good work, there is plenty of railroad to go around for everyone

Date: 10/05/15 05:03
Author: RNinRVR

I have been around people flying drones and most of the time they are high enough that the motor noise is not a factor in my videos. Further I have read over all the posts and there is support of Roger and the fact that this charter was visible from public property and roads so private or not anyone could shoot the charter and there is no a thing they can do other than 'bitch'.

Sharon Evans
Glen Allen, VA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/15 05:24 by RNinRVR.

Date: 10/05/15 16:25
Author: PERichardson

CAn anyone disclose whose charter this was?  Just curious.

Date: 10/05/15 16:46
Author: andersonb109

Weather you are using a drone to photograph or simply chasing by road, if it is a photo charter, then you should contribute something to the organizer just as those who actually paid for the privilidge. Most organizers aren't in the business to make a profit. They just want to cover their costs, get a free trip for themselves (if they are lucky) and provide a unique experience for dedicated fans who don't want to see "Cumbres and Toltec" lettered on the tender.

Date: 10/05/15 20:22
Author: up833

Photo Charter drone photos.....meaning free advertising for the next event.  Not so bad of a deal for the C&T.. Sorry but I bet many of you didnt even know they did photo charters.  If someone from the railroad came on and complained it might be different thing. 
RB

Date: 10/07/15 06:42
Author: Darryl

I was on this tour and enjoyed it. I was taking stills and had no problem with the drone. And yes, First come-first served is usually fair.

BUT

This was not a C&T publicly run trip, it was a private charter. Those of us who chartered the train paid considerable sums of money to have those freight trains run so we could get our best pictures of it in a limited number of spots given the time we had. And think several thousand dollars for some of us, when you factor in airfares, cars and accommodation on top of the train charter cost which is not cheap - at least four of us came over from Europe.

Had I been shooting video, I would have been really annoyed if I made it to one of the best spots to find someone already there who ruins my one chance for a doozy clip by making intrusive sound, or by flying into my shot (I saw a video someone had shot on this trip where this happened).  And even more so if that person was free-riding on the back of our expense!  As a photographer, the one thing I dislike about 'group tours' is the photo-line, but you have to do it and be quiet and be respectful to let everyone get the shots they paid for.

I occaisionally shoot trains from the air and steer well of other fans by heading to remote spots. 

Again, I was shooting stills this trip, so personally the drone didn't bother me. It did bother some of the video guys, and even those who were just enjoying watching the train - and fair enough too.

Darryl 
https://www.flickr.com/photos/kiwibonds/ 

Date: 10/09/15 09:23
Author: sp3663

Here I go again asking stuuuupid questions. What was the music on this video? I relly liked it
Ron W

Date: 10/09/15 11:09
Author: ProAmtrak

Yeah great music, but it sucked people criticized you on using a private charter to do this, I mean give me a break, I for one didn't like it when people told me to get out of the way when I was in Tempe back in 2012 when 844 came to town, I mean what happened with great camaraderie among railfans!

Date: 10/09/15 11:33
Author: agrafton

Awesome video, well done I too am a Drone owner and you have shown incredible responsibility in flying your drone.
I did enjoy !!!
Alan

Date: 10/10/15 16:42
Author: Chooch

One of the best aerial videos I have seen in a long time Thanks.

I wouldn't let yourself get too concerned about complaints. It's part of our hobby. Hope to see more of your work.

Jim
Hatboro, PA​​

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0754 seconds