Home Open Account Help 338 users online

Steam & Excursion > As Soon As Some Final Adjustments Are Done She Is Ready To Roll!

Date: 10/05/15 03:13
As Soon As Some Final Adjustments Are Done She Is Ready To Roll!
Author: LoggerHogger

While the baggage car is being loaded the engineer of this brand new Daylight locomotive is making his final adjustments just prior to departure from San Francisco.

The contrast between the streamlined black, red and orange Daylight and her older baggage car is striking.  Even the REA truck looks dated and out of place next to Southern Pacific's newest and most modern motive power.

The late 1930's were certainly wondrous times with many changes appearing on the railroad scene such as this.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/15 03:18 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 10/05/15 07:17
Re: As Soon As Some Final Adjustments Are Done She Is Ready To Ro
Author: TonyJ

Very interesting photo that puzzles me. First it appears to me it is not on the normal departure track. I think part of the old Third & Townsend station is in the background, which would put the train on one of the baggage spurs along Townsend Street, but the buildings next to the locomotive don't seem right. If so I would think a 0-6-0 SP depot switcher would be doing this duty. This is the first photo I've seen of such big power on this track. There's no train number in the numberboards so I'm assuming the 4-8-4 will head each and then back up to the rest of the train at its normal departure track and the train numbers installed.

f it is on the other side on King Street then the train has just arrived, with Third Steeet and the depot behind. I think this is what is happening here. Someone out there should be able to help me with this.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/15 07:19 by TonyJ.

Date: 10/05/15 07:58
Author: PERichardson

Could it be the just-arrived Lark and they're unloading the head end stuff?   It looks to be a morning shot in the winter months.

Date: 10/05/15 08:03
Author: tomstp

I'll bet red and orange engines caused quite a stir when first seen.

Date: 10/05/15 08:14
Author: Frisco1522

I've heard and read about when new engines would arrive at a roundhouse back in the 30s-40s and how the local fans would swarm down to see them.  That was when you could do such things.  Must have been exciting times.   I was only 3 when Frisco got their last new steam engines, so my memory is a bit foggy on that.

Date: 10/05/15 08:41
Author: daylightfan

Could you imagine seeing these being delivered from Lima coming across country. Through the midwest where I live it would be like the space shuttle is rolling through. lol

Date: 10/05/15 11:34
Author: PERichardson

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've heard and read about when new engines would
> arrive at a roundhouse back in the 30s-40s and how
> the local fans would swarm down to see them. 
> That was when you could do such things.  Must
> have been exciting times.   I was only 3 when
> Frisco got their last new steam engines, so my
> memory is a bit foggy on that.

We (about three of us back then) would swarm down to the SP, UP, ATSF engine terminals in Los Angeles well into the 1970s when new diesels showed up.  I remember a Sunday in Janaury 1964 when the UP had the GP35/DD35 demo set (2 of each),  Santa Fe new SD40s and SP new GP35s.  All within ten miles of each other....shot a few 'chromes that day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/05/15 11:36 by masterphots.

Date: 10/05/15 13:05
Author: wag216

The first GS2 and up, were dead in train on the CRI&P at Topeka,Kansas. Also, the 3800s and some of the Cab-forwards. wag216

Date: 10/05/15 13:34
Author: MojaveBill

Could be a PR shot ...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 10/05/15 15:08
Author: PatternOfFailure

masterphots Wrote:
> Could it be the just-arrived Lark and they're
> unloading the head end stuff?   It looks to be a
> morning shot in the winter months.

It does look more like an RPO door next to the buggy than a standard baggage door.

Date: 10/05/15 16:49
Author: agentatascadero

If this is a departing train, then I submit this cannot be taken in SF, because that is clearly not the Townsend St Freighthouse behind the locomotive.   I'm not sure why, but I'm thinking El Paso.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 10/05/15 18:50
Author: Auburn_Ed

Not the Lark arriving SFO, buildings don't match.

Ed

Date: 10/05/15 19:49
Author: agentatascadero

Wow, don't think I've ever seen a photo of this view, which must be looking eastward across 3rd St in SF. 
Those buildings across the street from the SP depot, do appear to be the same as in the 4413 shot.  Only thing is that I've never seen an incoming train spotted in the foul of 3rd ST, as this one appears to be.  Guess I've never paid much attention to what's on that block.  What I recall is a burger joint, a Muni stop at the corner, and not much else, certainly not that warehouse, or whatever it is.  This SF native could be learning something about a very familiar part of his home town.  AA

Stanford White
Carmel Valley, CA

Date: 10/05/15 21:18
Author: TonyJ

agentatascadero Wrote:
> Wow, don't think I've ever seen a photo of this
> view, which must be looking eastward across 3rd St
> in SF. 
> Those buildings across the street from the SP
> depot, do appear to be the same as in the 4413
> shot.  Only thing is that I've never seen an
> incoming train spotted in the foul of 3rd ST, as
> this one appears to be.  Guess I've never paid
> much attention to what's on that block.  What I
> recall is a burger joint, a Muni stop at the
> corner, and not much else, certainly not that
> warehouse, or whatever it is.  This SF native
> could be learning something about a very familiar
> part of his home town.  AA
>
I'm also a SF native and I remember seeing the Daylight and Lark use the eastmost track so the power could cross Third Street and use the run around to back up Mission Bay (and later Seventh Street). It appears a flagman is trying to stop traffic so the E-unts can cross Third Street. The buildings do look the same except the white building is not as long in the first image. Perhaps the burger joint you remember is Doggie Diner, which was a block away at Third & Townsend.

Date: 10/06/15 16:29
Author: BCHellman

daylightfan Wrote:
> Could you imagine seeing these being delivered
> from Lima coming across country. Through the
> midwest where I live it would be like the space
> shuttle is rolling through. lol

The SP Historical Society published an article from a gentleman who worked an westward freight on the Salton Subdivision between Yuma and Indio with one of the new GS-2 entrained. It was dead, destined for LA's General Shops. The train was restricted to 25mph due to its presence. I believe this took place in late January or early February of 1937. What stood out in the article is that he said the trip was done at night, and because of the speed restriction, the DS put them in the hole for a number of meets, some of which were lengthy. He guestimated that there were perhaps 100 hobos on board, and because it was cold, he said at one siding, he spotted what must have been 10 campfires.

That must have been a sight. A gleaming new GS2 in the middle of the dark, cold and desolate desert. The only light from campfires, an occasional headlight, and (probably) the kerosene lamps of the Style-B semaphores. A far cry from the glamor that would be awaiting the GS2 in a month or two.

It's too bad they didn't save a GS-2 instead of the GS-6.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/15 00:41 by BCHellman.

Date: 10/06/15 16:31

agentatascadero Wrote:
> If this is a departing train...

I think it's an arriving train because the indicators have been removed.

> I'm not sure why, but I'm thinking
> El Paso.

I'm pretty sure it's not El Paso. Nothing looks like this at the depot (before or after rebuild).

Date: 10/06/15 16:59
Author: ExSPCondr

It would have been a Westward train...

Date: 10/07/15 00:42

ExSPCondr Wrote:
> It would have been a Westward train...

Yes. Mistake corrected.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0668 seconds