Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Steam & Excursion > Leaving Silverton

Date: 10/06/15 08:33
Leaving Silverton
Author: Auburn_Ed

Actually, the #486 is backing its train into town.  The first train has left and it is now time for the second daily passenger train to pick up its passengers for the trip South to Durango.  When was the last time they used the balloon track in Silverton?

Ed

Date: 10/06/15 16:47
Re: Leaving Silverton
Author: SR_Krause

Balloon track? I wasn't aware there's a balloon track in Silverton. Has that changed?

Steve Krause
Chillicothe, IL

Date: 10/06/15 17:16

Roughly outlined in this picture is the spur track that is used to store old cars and the #49X.  It sure looks like it could have been, though it now joins the main going the wrong way.

Ed

Date: 10/06/15 17:19
Author: Earlk

It's not really a "balloon track".  It's only along siding that loops way out to the west from the mainline.  Its original purpose was to serve a few industries along side of it.  To the south end a loading ramp was built to load drop bottom gons with smelter slag for track ballast.  It is know as the "Shanandoah (sp?) Track".

Date: 10/06/15 17:41

Thanks for the info and answer.

Ed

Date: 10/07/15 10:04
Author: livesteamer

IOTD candidate for sure

Marty Harrison
Knob Noster, MO

Date: 10/07/15 11:00

During my recent visit to Silverton I noticed "for sale" signs up there just north of the station.  Modest lots selling for a little over $200k.  YOU could live right next to the Narrow Gauge.  Trouble is, (as the D&S knows) it only takes a couple hours in Silverton and most folks are ready to leave!

Ed

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0379 seconds