Home Open Account Help 237 users online

Steam & Excursion > RBMN 425 excursion this coming weekend

Date: 10/07/15 14:57
RBMN 425 excursion this coming weekend
Author: 611Doug

I need some help with directions to chase the 425 from Port Clinton, PA to Jim Thorpe, PA and return.  I am not familiar with this area.  Can you recommend what routes to follow?   I have seen distance shots of the Hometown high bridge, is this part of the route ?  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Doug

Date: 10/07/15 16:59
Re: RBMN 425 excursion this coming weekend
Author: OCtrainguy

Doug,
I cannot help with the full route as I'm not from the area, but Route 209 follows the tracks from Nesquehoning into Jim Thorpe.  There are some nice spots in and around Nesquehoning.  A word of advice in that the traffic gets real bad getting into Jim Thorpe this time of year and Route 209 will get bumper to bumper as you approach Jim Thorpe.  Also, parking will be an issue as well as the town lost some of their parking along the old CNJ yard as a new Route 903 overpass is being built over the Lehigh River.  

Steve

Date: 10/07/15 18:40
Author: tehachapi-dave

The train will leave from Port Clinton at 9:00 and follow 61 for a few miles, after the railroad crosses under 61, make a right on to 895.  895 will follow the railroad to New Ringgold where you will make a left 443.  443 follows the railroad all the way to Zehners below Tamaqua, after passing Zehners the railroad will go off to the left.  After the railroad curves away make a left onto 309 which will follow the railroad through Tamaqua.  North of Tamaqua you have two options, you can either make a run for East Mahaony Jct.  If you want to make the run, make a left on to 54 when you get to Hometown.  If you don't want to make the run just make a right onto 54 which will follow the railroad until you get to Nesquehoning where it will dump onto 209 which you can follow all the way into Jim Thorpe.  That's the route.

Chasing the train very difficult from Port Clinton to East Mahanoy Jct as it is 30 MPH track and they RUN.  Find a spot right in in Port Clinton to start.  From there you can either to Hawk Mountain Rd on 895 or New Ringgold.  Both are nice spots but the engine is always making terrific noise coming through New Ringgold.  From there you can make it to Atlas Rd to catch them on the upgrade through there.  From there you can attempt to make it Tamaqua for the beautiful station there, you can amke it if the traffic lights fall you way.  if you stop at Tamaqua you will have a hard time making East Mahanoy Jct.  Beyond East Mahanoy Jct the track is 10 MPH making an easy chase into Jim Thorpe, just go on google maps and find some spots in between Hometown and Nesquehoning.  Once you get close to Jim Thorpe you will most likely come to a dea hault as traffic in Jim Thorpe is terrible.  

Hope this helps and enjoy the chase, the 425 is one heck of a steam engine!  We'll be out on the 17-18th chasing!

Tehachapi-TJ Over & Out.

Date: 10/07/15 20:19
Author: bigjim4life

611Doug Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have seen distance shots of the Hometown high bridge, is this part of the route ?  Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

> Doug

Those Hometown High Bridge "distance" shots are more than likely "one and done" shots from what I understand.  They require a long hike to get to the spot from a certain point - I've never tried it myself, I've stuck to the roadways and some of the more established spots in my chases there.

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Date: 10/08/15 05:41
Author: m1bprr

And she looks like this.
Ed K.

Date: 10/08/15 15:29
Author: Bridge60

Doug

If you take a look at Google maps you can follow the route pretty well.  North from Port Clinton, follow Rt 61 to 895 at Molino, 895 to 443 at New Ringgold, 443 to 309 at Tamaqua then 309 to Route 54 at Hometown.  54 will lead you to 209 which goes into Jim Thorpe.  It's not exact, and a host of little roads will lead you to different locations, but its a start.  I've never chased the line myself, this weekend being a first.

Hope this helps.

Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds