Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Steam & Excursion > Audio Recorded Aboard The Doubleheader

Date: 11/16/15 20:06
Audio Recorded Aboard The Doubleheader
Author: MaryMcPherson

In a previous thread, I mentioned miking this weekend's doubleheader of Southern Railway 2-8-0 #630 and 2-8-2 #4501.  In this video, I put together a four minute edit of some of the sounds recorded over the weekend.  Rather than looking at a blank screen, I put a few video clips with the audio... they in no way match the sounds other than they were shot this weekend.

The right hand microphone was located along the engineer's side running board on #630, below the sand dome, and was aimed forward to capture #630's exhaust.  The left hand microphone was located on the tender deck center and rear, and was aimed at an upward angle to capture #4501.  This places 4501 to the left and 630 to the right on your speakers or headphones.  The recorder was a Xoom H4n; mated with a pair of Shure SM-57 microphones.  I went with the SM-57s due to their ability to take a beating, both physically and from high sound levels; which they certainly did in both regards!

The sound opens with the locomotives pumping up the train brakes before departure and ends as the train passes through Missionary Ridge Tunnel on the return to Grand Junction.

I'll do a video highlight reel in the next few days.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/16/15 20:14
Re: Audio Recorded Aboard The Doubleheader
Author: Panamerican99

Mary,
Very well done.
-JH

Date: 11/16/15 20:56
Author: wag216

Really enjoyed your "work" Mary! wag216

Date: 11/16/15 21:53
Author: 28hogger

That recording is fantastic best I've heard in along time. Listened to it just on computer speakers and it made the hair stand up on the back of my neck. Well done Mary!!!!

Warren Smith

Date: 11/17/15 04:07
Author: LoggerHogger

Just spectacular!  Thanks for posting.

Martin

Date: 11/17/15 05:53
Author: AJnCorrie

You were standing next to me when you shot the scene by the Tech School...Nice recording...

Date: 11/17/15 06:38

AJnCorrie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You were standing next to me when you shot the
> scene by the Tech School...

Great location, isn't it?

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

Date: 11/17/15 10:36
Author: Tominde

Great recording. That may be one the best recordings that I've heard capturing the two chuffs.  Similar but not the same size drivers; 57" 630  and 63" 4501.  But there was some slipping. 

Date: 11/17/15 14:18
Author: nycman

You sure produce great quality work, Mary.  Excellent job.

Date: 11/17/15 21:30

Thanks for the comments!

All told, we ended up with about 17 hours of audio recorded during the course of the two runs.  Thank goodness for computer based editing software that has a visual display of the waveform.  It's a heck of a lot easier to edit when you can look at it rather than having to listen to the entire thing to hear where the engines are working instead of coasting!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0507 seconds