Home Open Account Help 265 users online

Steam & Excursion > New and set up

Date: 11/20/15 12:33
New and set up
Author: tomstp

T&P  new 2-10-4's   #'s 631 and 633 nestle close to the old shop building in downtown Ft Worth after having the rods attached and the box removed from the headlights.  No fire has touched their bellies yet but, soon will.

Date: 11/20/15 12:56
Re: New and set up
Author: hoggerdoug

quote "No fire has touched their bellies yet but, soon will."
Just wondering, did the builders not fire the locomotives prior to delivery to test all the appliances, pipes, joints, gauges and pumps etc, let alone a hydro static test??  Doug

Date: 11/20/15 15:18
Author: dcfbalcoS1

I would think they at least had steam connected in order to test and verify, probably from a stationary boiler.

Date: 11/20/15 15:30
Author: LarryDoyle

dcfbalcoS1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I would think they at least had steam connected in
> order to test and verify, probably from a
> stationary boiler.

Yes, "at least".

-Larry Doyle

Date: 11/20/15 15:40
Author: glibby

Thanks for posting these excellent photos.  Do you know the dates of the photos, at least approximately?  I've always like these T&P locomotives.  Is the horizontal cylindrical object above the headlight in front a water heater?

Thanks again.

Date: 11/20/15 15:54
Author: TexasRocket

Yes Elesco feedwater, though not sure on exact model.

Date: 11/20/15 16:43

Date would be 1928 and the Elesco Feedwater Heater is model K-50A used on all of the last 60 engines,  The first 10 had model K-54.

Date: 11/20/15 16:46
Author: Frisco1522

I would think Lima fired all new engines up and tested all the appliances and appurtenances, set safeties and such.    Wouldn't make sense not to.

Date: 11/20/15 19:56

In reading about Lima I saw a statement that all locomotives were test fired and run around the tracks at the plant prior to final paint and shipping.  So I will have to correct my statement to mean no fire yet on the T&P.

Attached is a shot of the Lima erecting floor.

Date: 11/22/15 12:07
Author: MaryMcPherson

Looks to be A-1 duplicates under construction, with the frames showing four driver boxes and the abbreviated length set up for those unfortunate Lima trailing trucks.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.045 seconds