Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Tennessee Valley in 1991

Date: 11/27/15 10:18
The Tennessee Valley in 1991
Author: MaryMcPherson

The Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum's former Army 2-8-0 #610 was just recently restored in 1991.  A friend and I were on a multi-state steam trek that June, photographing Norfolk & Western 1218 and riding the Kentucky Central before making our way to Chattanooga.

1. On June 9, 1991, #610 was bound for Grand Junction on the museum's tracks as it crossed the bridge over Tunnel Boulevard.  The train was creeping here, likely because engineer Billy Byrd saw a couple of people along the tracks in an area where people are not often found.  Once he knew who we were however, he'd be putting on a heck of a show for the next day and a half.

2. In the golden light of an early morning, #610 is seen on 6/10.  The crew was just beginning to get the locomotive ready for a day of operations.

3. Retired Louisville & Nashville engineer and steam devotee Billy Byrd works at cleaning #610's fire on the morning of June 10, 1991.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 11/29/15 17:56
Re: The Tennessee Valley in 1991
Author: NSDTK

610 is a neat locomotive in my opinion. Features a air powered bell like a diesel and newer than most F7's.

Posted from Android

Date: 11/30/15 02:27
Author: Finderskeepers

I think I saw her in action around 2003? She had the absolute loudest whistle I have ever heard, it literally vibrated your internal organs from 20 feet away. I think it was perhaps a long bell Hancock, maybe someone here knows more.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 12/02/15 16:47
Author: DRGWMark

Nice pictures!

I have a little bit of a soft spot for this engine: I made several trips to the TVRM when I was a kid, and on all but two of those trips, we rode behind 610. My personal favorite was the year we rode the Autumn Leaf Special to Summerville, 2004 I think it was.

Hope TVRM gets her back up and running soon! From what I've heard, she needs some work, but nothing too bad.

Mark H.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0348 seconds