Home Open Account Help 219 users online

Steam & Excursion > Reading 2102 being inspected to potentially restore

Date: 01/10/16 06:29
Reading 2102 being inspected to potentially restore
Author: Emmo213

Let's try some good news for a change. Looks like Reading 2102 is starting to be restored. We may actually have two T1s running at the same time!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/104112404467/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/16 07:35 by Emmo213.

Date: 01/10/16 06:33
Re: Reading 2012 Being Restored
Author: HotWater

It is my understanding that only the "inspection/investigation" has begun to determine the requirements and cost of restoration.

Date: 01/10/16 06:34

I was already updating the topic. Thanks. The sad thing is I knew as soon as I posted that that you would bring it up.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/16 06:35 by Emmo213.

Date: 01/10/16 06:55
Re: Reading 2012 being inspected to potentially restore
Author: jkh2cpu

Emmo213 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Let's try some good news for a change. Looks like
> Reading 2012 is starting to be restored. We may
> actually have two T1s running at the same time!
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/104112404467/

The problem is that the link requires a login...

John.

Date: 01/10/16 07:11
Re: Reading 2012 being inspected to potentially restore

Date: 01/10/16 07:37
Author: wcamp1472

RDG 2012?

A RDG 2-8-0 coming back from having been cut up, years ago?

Or,  maybe there's a gremlin in the " number checker"?
[ since corrected.....]

If however, the discussion is about an existing 4-9-4, [ oooops one too many drivers!]. then maybe there's an explanation.

On a technical note-------

This applies to all extant RDG 4-8-4s:  it would be nice if someone would would apply a counterweight scheme,or a counterbalance spring, to the valve gear rock-shafts (that support the radius rod at the reverse link) of the Walschaerts valve gear.  The RDG original remanufacture of the engines omitted a scheme to balance this critical shaft.

What happens is ----- that while underway, the weight of the two radius bars causes the bars to droop at the reverse link, and drag the power reverse piston slightly forward. This activates the power reverser's  self-centering valve to move the shaft back to its original setting.  The valve event timing drifts lower in the Walschaerts link, to a longer admission point, using greater steam, before the reverse gear re-corrects the valves back to the intended cutoff-point.

This sets-up a constant, slow cycle, hunting of the valve gear---- you can hear the change at the stack as they roll down the track.
The chuffs deepen at varying rates while rolling along.

The chuffs at the stack should be even in loudness, not varying in intensity from soft chuffs to loud barks, then back to soft chuffs.......

On the 2102, the RDG mechanics attempted to remedy the imbalance by brazing a small plug at the ports of the reverse gear's slide valve seat ( inside the reverse gear housing).  Instead of helping, it made the problem worse: by lengthening the port distance, it makes the droop get WAY out-of-whack ----- before the re-centering action is activated.

When 'parked' and the air goes down, the rock shaft always sags ----- allowing the radius bars to sag to the bottom of the reverse links.
Even though the the reverse lever in the cab is pinned in the center of the reverse quadrant.

It's a fine point, but it DOES  affect the the running and firing of the engines --- it would be a clever mechanic that could rig up the shaft with an ingenious balancing arrangement, while also removing the brazed bits from the modified valve ports.

Now is he time correct that original design omission, if the engines are being rebuilt.

Wes C.

Edited 8 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/16 12:19 by wcamp1472.

Date: 01/10/16 08:00
Author: RBMN-ENGR

HotWater Wrote:
> It is my understanding that only the
> "inspection/investigation" has begun to determine
> the requirements and cost of restoration.

Correct.

Chris Bost
Leesport, PA

Date: 01/10/16 10:06
Re: Reading 2102 being inspected to potentially restore
Author: ClubCar

Emmo213 Wrote:
> Let's try some good news for a change. Looks like
> Reading 2102 is starting to be restored. We may
> actually have two T1s running at the same time!
>
> https://www.facebook.com/groups/104112404467/ 
​I too hope that this is true for the owner has an excellent railroad on which to operate it as it has run on the Reading and Northern before, not just counting when it was the Reading Company. 
John

Date: 01/10/16 15:34
Author: co614

"Word on the street" is that Mr. Muller wants to get the 2102 running in time for his 2017 70th. birthday. Those who know him well are skeptical that when he gets the high 6 figure to low 7 figure cost to bring her back to life that he'll say yes. 

As a steam lover that would love to see her run again I very much hope that the skeptics will be proven wrong.

Time will tell.   Ross Rowland 

Date: 01/11/16 06:49
Author: csxcophotographers

Ross,

Is there any chance you are going to explore getting the 614 out of Clifton Forge and on to some place where you can actually use the 614 under steam again. I am sure there are plenty of people would love to see the 614 teamed up with the 1309 in Cumberland.

It seems just a shame to see all of your efforts to work with CSX have really never amounted to anything in the past 10 years other than a ferry movement to where it sits now.

I do agree that restoring the 2102 is probably as it states,  is just gathering data, as the cost for operational steam now a days is way out of the budget of even private investors.

Hope to see 614 back at it again sooner than later.

CSXCOPHOTOGRAPHERS

Date: 01/11/16 07:06
Author: co614

Short answer is no. Until/Unless there's a change in CSX's absolute ban on steam 614 will stay on display at the COHS in Clifton Forge,Va. where at least the public can enjoy her.

Someday perhaps there will be a change in CSX's attitude and then we'll take a new look at things ??

Hope springs eternal.  Ross Rowland

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0527 seconds