Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Steam & Excursion > NP 924 Update, Riveting Complete!!!

Date: 01/25/16 18:41
NP 924 Update, Riveting Complete!!!
Author: PorterNo2

Howdy all,

After seeing the great work that our friends on the 765 have been doing last week, I figured some might be interested in the riveting we have been doing on our 1899 Rogers built 0-6-0.  Our video lacks the fine editing but gets the point across.  This very rare and historic locomotive has required a fair amount of boiler work to return to service including a new steam dome, longitudinal seam rivets, side sheet replacement, etc.  For the new dome we decided to use riveted construction for historicity and also skill exercise.  All said and done over 150 new rivets went into this boiler.  Rivet diameters varied from 3.4" to 1 1/8" for the longitudinal seam.  In particular, these rivets required a great deal of specialized tooling to install and drive around the internal drypipe and braces.  I would like to take the opportunity to thank all my great volunteers for your hard work and good spirits through this process.  We have a fine team at NWRM, and I am very proud of everyone for rising to the challenge.  I hope that you enjoy this video and some of the photos of our progress as we bring this very special locomotive back to life.  

Best,

Stathi

Video by Drew Black

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/16 19:04 by PorterNo2.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/25/16 18:42
Re: NP 924 Update, Riveting Complete!!!

And a few more...  Fun times!

Date: 01/25/16 19:34
Author: Frisco1522

You guys amaze me.  Seems like a month ago you posted photos of dragging this hulk out of the weeds.  Now you're well into a great restoration.  New tender, new steam dome.and riveting finished.
Sure wish I was close.

Date: 01/25/16 19:35
Author: A-1

Just out of curiosity, why were 924 and the ten wheeler selected? Were any others seriously considered, and if so what disqualified them? You and your crew are showing what top notch craftsmanship really is!

Posted from Android

Date: 01/25/16 19:43
Author: Inthehole

Stathi and his team are doing a great job up there. Seems like yestreday that Stathi was in my garage telling me he wanted to do full size locos. He's making them faster than most of us can build 1" scale models!!! 

Date: 01/25/16 22:54
Author: SCPCno2

Tremendous progress and excellent work. 
I particularly compliment you on the historical  accuracy of a true restoration of this 1899 locomotive. 
You and your crew are doing wonderful things at Northwest Railway Museum!

John

Date: 01/26/16 08:02
Author: wabash2800

Hey, that's a pretty awesome capped stack too!

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 01/26/16 08:26
Author: PERichardson

Inthehole Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Stathi and his team are doing a great job up
> there. Seems like yestreday that Stathi was in my
> garage telling me he wanted to do full size locos.
> He's making them faster than most of us can build
> 1" scale models!!! 

Amazing what someone can accomplish when he knows what he's doing.

Date: 01/26/16 21:02

Thanks everyone for the encouragement and good feelings! In regard to a-1's question, I looked at all the engines in the collection and compared various metrics against usual, peak, and anticipated peak loading. The condition of the individual candidates was less of a concern than suitability for the operation and appropriateness historically for the museum's period of significance. 924 and 14 were the most logical choices given these parameters. And as an added bonus, operating 19th century locomotives are incredibly rare, so the fleet will be something totally unique in the region dominated by logging locomotives. I hope this explanation makes sense and I hope you all can make it out sometime soon!

Best

Stathi

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/28/16 07:33
Author: moonliter

40 years ago I had the job of needle-gunning the inside of a fire box but that was nothing compared to the noise the man with the bucking tool had to put up with!  His voice is the one who yells out the 2nd "Go" in the video. Nice job.

Gerry Gaugl
Ottawa ON

Date: 01/28/16 15:47
Author: spandfecerwin

Hi,
i wonder that steel for rivets is still available in USA.
Erwin from Austria

Date: 01/29/16 15:04

Erwin,

Unfortunately, many alloys are no longer available in the U.S. unless special mill runs are ordered. Appropriate rivet stock is a31b, which is low carbon, high ductility, and passes the bend test. As it turned out, most of the rivets used had to be made ourselves out of a stock pile of a31b that I have. We made a die to head the bar stock, and drove the heads using heat and an air hammer. This method, along with some new old stock rivets of known composition allowed us to complete the job. There are a few suppliers of rivets out there, but most of their stock consists of new old stock rivets with a modern material certification. As Matt austin says, what will kill the steam locomotive is a lack of appropriate material.

Stathi

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/30/16 16:27
Author: spandfecerwin

Stahi,

thanks for explanation.

I don´t know how our museums handle riveted boilers. But i know that for the restoration of the historic platform hall in Salzburg they used screws with heads looking like rivet heads. Shame on me - no pic.

Erwin from Austria

Date: 01/31/16 12:00
Author: ProAmtrak

That's how to restore or even overhau; a steamer, nice video and that steam engine's gonna look great once she's ready to roll!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0575 seconds