Home Open Account Help 387 users online

Steam & Excursion > 611 Dome Seating Question

Date: 02/08/16 13:48
611 Dome Seating Question
Author: PhillipJohnson

Forgive me for having to ask here, I called VMT and also searched the archives on here but didn't find the answer.  I would like to know if there is lower level seating in the full length domes currently planned for the upcoming 611 trips.  I was told on the phone when I called VMT that you were only gaurenteed a specific car, but not a specific seat.  If I pay the extra for the dome seating, I just wanted to know if I would be jockeying for a seat in the actual dome and potentnially never getting one, or if all of the availible seats were in the dome making any ticket sold for that car a theoretically guarenteed dome seat?

The VMT website currently shows the following dome cars in the consist:

Prarie View
Scenic View
"Super Dome" (MILW Cedar Rapids?)
Stampede Pass (partial dome - 20 seats lower level)

I'm sure some of you on here have ridden in these cars and could provide some insights.  The timing of these trips isn't ideal financially or family wise with two young kids at home, but with spousal blessing I wanted to jump on it this year just in case the opportunity doesn't exist in the future. 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/16 13:52 by PhillipJohnson.

Date: 02/08/16 13:56
Re: 611 Dome Seating Question
Author: Jimbo

Stampede Pass lower level seats (main floor) are sold as First Class seats.  I don't remember any other lower level seats on the domes being sold.  I do remember the lower levels being used for food and drink preparation and staff use.

Jim

Date: 02/08/16 16:39
Author: Buttons2013

I would think Dome seats would mean in the dome. As Jim stated other seats in a dome car are typically sold as a different class or used for the crew. This was the case when I rode the 765 Horseshoe Curve trips. I intend to ride the same trips as you and I assume the VMT will sell Dome seats the same way. But hopefully someone here can offer some concrete clarification.

Date: 02/08/16 17:37
Author: Defective_Detector

Last year VMT sold the lower seats as First or Deluxe class. Dome seats are for the dome.

Date: 02/08/16 20:47
Author: holiwood

I hope I can get Dome seats for Mannass and both Roanoke trips
Already have room at Hotel Roanoke

hollywood
NS B Line MP 74

Date: 02/08/16 22:24
Author: AltiplanoRailtours1

Onboard the 611 excursions we will only be selling the upper dome seats in the full length domes, the lower level area is used by staff and for storage. The Stampede Pass will offer 24 dome seats upstairs and 20 First Class seats in the lower level. The food service will be identical.

I hope you enjoy your time behind the 611, the team has worked very hard to put together a flawless season.

Adam 

Date: 02/09/16 08:41
Author: PhillipJohnson

Thanks for the responses guys, I think this clears it up very well.  Hopefully I'm able to get a ticket!

Date: 02/11/16 14:40
Author: andersonb109

"Cedar Rapids" is an observation car...not a dome. Now a request to the excursion operators if anyone is reading. I have several friends coming over from Europe to chase the train on May 7 and 8. These are SERIOUS photographers who have traveled all over the world for steam. We all plan to buy a coach ticket for a trip that day for the privilege of photographing and to help offset cost (I hate it when chasers get the benefits but donate nothing). Can you ask the crews to PLEASE take their safety vests off while on the train. I get they are necessary now with all the lawyers around, but why do they need to wear them on the train? Last year, some with vests were hanging out the open doors of the tool car and completely ruined some otherwise great photos. These people are spending thousands of dollars to come over for this. It would be greatly appreciated.

Date: 02/11/16 15:01
Author: HotWater

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Now a request to the excursion operators if anyone
> is reading. I have several friends coming over
> from Europe to chase the train on May 7 and 8.
> These are SERIOUS photographers who have traveled
> all over the world for steam. We all plan to buy a
> coach ticket for a trip that day for the privilege
> of photographing and to help offset cost (I hate
> it when chasers get the benefits but donate
> nothing). Can you ask the crews to PLEASE take
> their safety vests off while on the train. I get
> they are necessary now with all the lawyers
> around, but why do they need to wear them on the
> train? Last year, some with vests were hanging out
> the open doors of the tool car and completely
> ruined some otherwise great photos. These people
> are spending thousands of dollars to come over for
> this. It would be greatly appreciated.

Just my opinion but, I sure wouldn't spend THAT much money to chase that big up-side-down bathtub. I mean, just look at all the negatives: 1) 40MPH speed limit, 2) a non-prototypical canteen, which the N&W J Class locomotives never used in passenger service, 3) all those silly safety vests/jackets, 4) non-correct passenger cars, and FINALLY 5) that "spirit of Roanoke" under the cab windows.  It's all very sad!

Good grief Charlie Brown!!!!!

Date: 02/11/16 15:01
Author: mdogg

andersonb109 Wrote:
> "Cedar Rapids" is an observation car...not a dome.

REALLY? Is it April 1? Come on, all you have to do is a little Lightroom/Photoshop work and the vests are no problem!

I think it has been discussed that wearing those safety vests in the cab of a steam locomotive, especially a coal burner, is a safety problem!  100% cotton doesn't burn like those vests do!  Back to the question, if you see something you don't like, just use Lightroom/Photoshop, rather than complain!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/16 15:11 by mdogg.

Date: 02/17/16 10:08
Author: EL-SD45-3632

andersonb109 Wrote:
> "Cedar Rapids" is an observation car...not a dome.

If they are SERIOUS photographers they sure don't have Wally World cheap cameras. Use their skills to photo-shop those vests out of their photos. Once again, the railroads are here to serve us railfans. As far as the chasers getting the benefits without paying...more to them. I bet you have chased many trains without help to offset the cost. What I hate are the people who complain about what the railroad doesn't do for the FOAMERS like you.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2372 seconds