Home Open Account Help 312 users online

Steam & Excursion > 614 - Smoke Rings Over Moodna Viaduct - October, 1996

Date: 03/19/16 05:47
614 - Smoke Rings Over Moodna Viaduct - October, 1996
Author: classiclights

A previous thread making reference to smoke rings from steam locomotives reminded me of a ring side seat I enjoyed back in October, 1996 while photographing C&O #614 crossing Moodna Viaduct during the initial Erie Express trips from Hoboken, NJ to Port Jervis, NY.

I had chartered the other helicopter which is seen towards the end of this video clip captured by Mark Balkin (now deceased) under the name Mark1Video. The full length video, "614 - Return of a Thoroughbred" is still available and may be found both on eBay and thru the Mark1Video.com website.

614 put on many a fine show that year, and on this particular trip she also demonstrated the ability to blow smoke-rings at will. If you look from the 15 thru the 30 second mark, you likely will have trouble counting the actual number of smoke-rings which occur in rapid succession. I've included the entire clip of the Moodna crossing, which runs about 00:02:12 even though not shot with the clarity of anything approaching what today's cameras will yield.

Enjoy - Bob Lyndall

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 03/19/16 06:54
Re: 614 - Smoke Rings Over Moodna Viaduct - October, 1996
Author: Wolfman

Great footage!

Date: 03/19/16 07:19

Two views from the 1996 & '97 trips:

1 - Hoboken Yard - October, 1997
2 - Port Jervis, NY Aerial Shot During Runbys - October, 1996

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/16 07:35 by classiclights.

Date: 03/19/16 07:44

Another aerial view of Port Jervis Depot prior to the runbys - October, 1996:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/16 07:38 by classiclights.

Date: 03/19/16 18:53
Author: scoopdejour

Bob - I'm the guilty fireman who burned 500 tons of coal across the viaduct. Lifing the safety was my goal and that happened in spades. However, certainly not the most efficient way to run an engine, needless to say.
Thanks for the memory!
Hank

Date: 03/19/16 19:56
Author: P

Drones were a lot more expensive back in those days.  Nice video.

Date: 03/20/16 01:27

P Wrote: "Drones were a lot more expensive back in those days."

Quite Correct & adjusted for inflation my charter fees for that Jet Ranger for both weekends (3.25 hours total) would translate into a very nicely equipped DSLR capable drone today.

Date: 03/20/16 10:34
Author: TheApostleGreen

How did the microphone manage to pick up no aircraft engine or slipstream noise?  I'd have thought even being inside of some sort of parabolic cone couldn't overcome that completely.

Date: 03/20/16 13:02

TheApostleGreen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"How did the microphone manage to pick up no aircraft engine or slipstream noise?  I'd have thought even being inside of some sort of parabolic cone couldn't overcome that completely."

Good question, but as I was not involved in the production of the tape itself I can't tell you exactly how the audio sync was handled. Perhaps one of the crew members who was on this trip might jump in here with the answer. It could be as simple as pulling the audio from another recorder which was on the engine or toolcar.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/20/16 13:03 by classiclights.

Date: 03/20/16 19:32
Author: NKP779

What is the deal with the Port Jervis turntable?  Mitch Goldman had some photos published and he mentioned that the turntable was moved "manually".  By front end loader with cable or something like that?  Google indicated that the Erie E-unit is parked on the turntable continuously?  Not used otherwise?

Date: 03/20/16 23:14

When the turntable was first refurbished for the 1996 Hoboken to Port Jervis test run, the turntable motor had not been re-installed. Therefore, another source to "spin" the turntable with 614 & tender was utilized. This was accomplished with a small cat/dozer and attached cable which was used to walk the turntable around manually.

What the status of it today is I have no idea. The attached photo is a screen-grab from the Mark1 video. It shows 614 being turned during the test run to Port Jervis. The cat/dozer is easily identified on the right side of the image. This is at the approximate 14 minute mark on the DVD which runs around 2 Hours & 30 Minutes.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0437 seconds