Home Open Account Help 321 users online

Steam & Excursion > Colorado steam in October

Date: 04/29/16 10:29
Colorado steam in October
Author: john7968

Opinion? What's best in October. Cumbres & Toltec. Or. Durango & Silverton ?

John

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/29/16 11:03
Re: Colorado steam in October
Author: sptno

Both are great, but my wife and I really like the Cumbres and Toltec in the fall.  The trees are quite beautiful and we really like the lunch at Osier.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 04/29/16 11:36
Author: NKP779

Winter comes early in that country.  Aspen leaves start to fall early.  By the middle of October, IMHO it is too late.  I kinda think the peak is the last week of Sept. and the first week of Oct.

Date: 04/29/16 12:21
Author: The_Chief_Way

Why not both lines? They're not that far apart !

Date: 04/29/16 15:05
Author: Auburn_Ed

I've done both railroads for the last three years, usually in October.  Aspen are hit and miss when it comes to color-time.  Some years a little earlier, some years later.  And the color can easily arrive at one railroad days before the aspen turn at the other.  But they are just 3 or 4 hours apart,, so you CAN do both easily.  But, the C&T offers more scenes WITH a railroad in the picture, and the D&S is less accessible. Not that the colors are any less for the D&S, indeed the mountains around Silverton have some of the very best color, just that the railroad is difficult to work into the same scenes.  Both railroads and surroundings have offerred plenty of sunshine in each October that I have been there.

Ed

Date: 04/30/16 19:10
Author: UP951West

Great shots !

Date: 05/01/16 07:08
Author: dougd

Havent ridden D & S but rode C & T last fall, last week in Sept.  colors were exceptional. 
This is a first class operation

Date: 05/01/16 14:00
Author: ProAmtrak

I'm way overdue on checking out both railroads, I'm hoping soon I'll be able to do it!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds