Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Dalles Dam Tour Train

Date: 05/01/16 20:48
The Dalles Dam Tour Train
Author: A-1

We rode this many times when I was a kid and sadly, this fun little ride has left very little to look at on the internet. My Google search turned up just a few pictures, and I found nothing on YouTube. But that got me to wondering...
How long did it run? Could it be one of the longest running tourist lines in the northwest? When I was little they had a tiny little switcher for power, and at some point started using a center cab engine. Does anyone know what became of these? As far as I know, the consist was always the half open coach and caboose. I think the caboose came from Portland Traction, does anyone know the open coach's history?

Posted from Android

Date: 05/01/16 21:37
Re: The Dalles Dam Tour Train
Author: miralomarail

Here are my photo's taken June of 1987 the  " Les_Dallies_ Portage RR @ The Dallies, Oregon

Two locomotives were used, the 1st being # 75 GE 25 T ( 15688, 6-42 )  Ex Riverbank Army Ordance Depot  ( Riverbank Ca. )

The 2nd was a GE 45 T ( 27591, 5-44 ) Ex USMC # 279670, exx USN # 65-00522 China Lake, Ca ) , Nee US Army # 8513

Tom Hirsch
Cherry Valley, Ca

Date: 05/02/16 06:10
Author: rrthug

Hello-
Never rode the train but always saw it sitting by the dam when I passed on the interstate.  It was always a "one of these days" kind of thing.  I noticed the train has been gone for some time and old postings on this site indicate about 2003.  A Google search will find the old Trainorders.com postings and a Facebook page dedicated to the ride.
Thanks,
Mike

Date: 05/02/16 07:27
Author: PNWfan

Here is what they had on 7/1/97.

Date: 05/02/16 10:34
Author: LJohnson

The 45t locomotive is in Longview wa.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/02/16 18:42
Author: jdb

Here is the little critter at Port of Morrow, Boardman, OR.  Looking at Google Maps it seems to still be there.  Shoved all the way to the end of a spur north of Utility Ave.

I think they stopped giving tours of the dam after 9/11.

jb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/16 11:21 by jdb.

Date: 05/02/16 19:15
Author: miralomarail

jdb Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is the little critter at Port of Morror,
> Boardman, OR.  Looking at Google Maps it seems to
> still be there.  Shoved all the way to the end of
> a spur north of Utility Ave.
>
> I think they stopped giving tours of the dam after
> 9/11.
>
> jb

Last I heard , the GE 25 T went to Fort Lewis, Wa

Date: 02/05/17 01:48
Author: marku46

I just wanted to say I have two websites for this train one is at weebly.com and the other is on Facebook

Posted from Android

Date: 02/05/17 01:52

I rode this train many times in its run I have two websites in its honor one is at weebly.com and the other is on Facebook

Posted from Android

Date: 07/05/17 17:01

I went there yesterday and the building in front of it is being demolished. I don't know if it is being used for anything right now.

Mark

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0505 seconds