Home Open Account Help 378 users online

Steam & Excursion > One for Mr. Booster

Date: 05/02/16 19:43
One for Mr. Booster
Author: Bob3985

After a grand steam event in St. Louis for the Annual NRHS convention, the UP's 844 and The Frisco 1522 were double headed from the Saint Louis Terminal Station out to the Museum in Webster Grove where the 1522 was stored between trips. Don Wirth and his crew were a great bunch of guys to work with. I even had some of them for guest firemen for me on 3985 on some of our other trips. The 1522 is a great Mountain class Frisco locomotive. They, the Saint Louis Steam Train Association, did a great job of restoring and operating it. This one's for you Don.
​"And that's the way it was!" Walter Cronkite... Good Night.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/16 20:00 by Bob3985.

Date: 05/02/16 19:55
Re: One for Mr. Booster
Author: Palhoghead

You tell 'em, Bob!

Date: 05/02/16 20:54
Author: Hillcrest

I've said it before and I'll say it again, of all the excursion locomotives I was privileged to see, nothing beat that old Hot Rod from The Frisco...

​Cheers, Dave

Date: 05/02/16 21:03

OOps, my error. This was taken at Kirkwood at the Museum of Transport after they cut out of our double header consist. Webster Grove was where I shot my video of the double header.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/16 21:12 by Bob3985.

Date: 05/03/16 04:50
Author: Carondelet

This looks like BN's Chouteau Yard.

If it was the Museum, the engines would be flip flopped - based on the sun and St.Louis summer haze present in the photo.

Date: 05/03/16 06:43

Carondelet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This looks like BN's Chouteau Yard.
>
> If it was the Museum, the engines would be flip
> flopped - based on the sun and St.Louis summer
> haze present in the photo.
​Thanks for correcting me. I forgot about picking them up at Chouteau instead of downtown.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/03/16 06:49
Author: Frisco1522

Thanks Bob.  I remember the Smurf telling me "You've got a cute little engine there".  With 844 on the point of the doubleheader, it really did look small behind the tender.
That was a fun day.  Kirkwood went bonkers when we both went through there whistling.   Didn't you ride up in the cab?

Date: 05/03/16 07:14

I was driving the Suburban and taking photos and video. Lynn fired for Steve. I think Smurf rode the train as well. I believe Watrous was tailing me and videoing too, but not sure there. That was about 20 years ago and I have already forgotten my name so how will I remember that LOL.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/03/16 07:16

I remember when Robby pulled in with the 1218 and Lynn looked down at them and had a comment I can't repeat here but basically said " I thought you were bringing your Big engine" LOL Seemed like 1218 was a little shorter in height and just barely longer in length than 844.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/03/16 07:20

You know Don, Trains really messed up. They had is stage that photo shoot and they used their cherry picker for an overhead shot. What they should have included was a photo of all the crew members out front by their respective locomotives. All too often the publications forget that there are people actually operating these behemoths as well.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/03/16 07:58
Author: MaryMcPherson

Motion seconded on that!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 05/03/16 11:41
Author: Frisco1522

That would have been a nice gesture Bob.  I took a picture out of our cab showing Steve in the gangway of the 1218 acting like he was releiving himself in their cab.  That was a fun  Convention, but so damned hot!  Had to keep replenishing our precious bodily fluids.

Date: 05/03/16 18:34

Frisco1522 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That would have been a nice gesture Bob.  I took
> a picture out of our cab showing Steve in the
> gangway of the 1218 acting like he was releiving
> himself in their cab.  That was a fun 
> Convention, but so damned hot!  Had to keep
> replenishing our precious bodily fluids.
​I recall after our all day display on the 844 in the Terminal trainshed in the heat, your were on your Newburg trip and we toasted you in the lounge area by the fish pond.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0592 seconds