Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Steam & Excursion > Nickel Plate 587 status

Date: 05/04/16 23:14
Nickel Plate 587 status
Author: kurt765

Have there been any recent updates as to the restoration of 587? I was just checking into their site:
http://itm.org/museum/restoration/nickel-plate-road-587/
.... and the last update is from more than a year ago. Are the ITM folks still working on the 1472? This Nickel Plate fan is just wondering. I saw 587 go by my house growing up a number of times, and saw a double header with 765. It was amazing and I'd love to see her steam again sometime.

Date: 05/05/16 03:58
Re: Nickel Plate 587 status
Author: junctiontower

Currently. the Indiana Transportation Museum has a lot bigger problems than when (if) 587 will be operable. For more information, go to the Indiana Railroads Bull Season site and look in the forum under "Museums, Historical Societies etc."

Date: 05/05/16 07:44
Author: filmteknik

Sesson.  But Google will know that's what you meant.

Date: 05/05/16 10:44
Author: The_Chief_Way

Session. But Google still will know.

Date: 05/05/16 12:18
Author: junctiontower

Sorry about the misspelling. My tablet does funny things with spellcheck that my desktop doesn't, and sometimes I don't catch it.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/05/16 14:05
Author: wcamp1472

"Funny things with this spelll-chequer...."

Rojer, Thaat!

W.

Date: 05/05/16 18:58
Author: ProAmtrak

junctiontower Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Sorry about the misspelling. My tablet does funny
> things with spellcheck that my desktop doesn't,
> and sometimes I don't catch it.
>
> Posted from Android

Happens to me all the time, it sucks! Be cool to see 565 and 587 running together!

Date: 05/06/16 06:54
Author: NKP779

When WAS the last time that the NKP 587 operated?  

Date: 05/06/16 07:11
Author: kurt765

Good question. Sometime prior to 2007? That's when they started the current (stalled) overhaul.

Date: 05/06/16 08:34
Author: HotWater

kurt765 Wrote:
> Good question. Sometime prior to 2007? That's when
> they started the current (stalled) overhaul.

I read recently, on another forum, that there are some serious "issues" within the group, and they have reportedly seriously pissed-off the "host railroad" that they could have operated on. Apparently they are now land-locked.

Date: 05/06/16 09:47
Author: jderoo

Wayne 587 last ran in 2002.

NKP779 Wrote:
> When WAS the last time that the NKP 587 operated?
>  

Posted from Android

Date: 05/06/16 13:33
Author: NKP779

My how time flies......14 years.

Date: 05/06/16 17:25
Author: px320

My partner and I rode the cab of 587 from Kokomo, IN north to some small burg in June of 1991 while scouting for the movie Night Ride Down. Would have been the best RR movie of all time, but the plug was pulled just before production was slated to begin.

Date: 05/06/16 19:39

I've been trying to remember the route we took on the excursion in 1991. I know we left Kokomo and headed north, but looking at my Topo Maps and Google Earth it looks like the line we were on has been turned into the Nickle Plate Trail. I think we went as far as Bunker Hill. Can anyone confirm this?

Date: 05/06/16 20:07
Author: NS19K

px320 Wrote:
> I've been trying to remember the route we took on
> the excursion in 1991. I know we left Kokomo and
> headed north, but looking at my Topo Maps and
> Google Earth it looks like the line we were on has
> been turned into the Nickle Plate Trail. I think
> we went as far as Bunker Hill. Can anyone confirm
> this?
but
If you have any, and I mean ANY, pictures of this trip I would like to see them. The IMC to Peru came out before I was old enough to railfan it myself. It came out around 1999-2000 but was overgrown with weeds for a few years beforehand.

Date: 05/06/16 20:41

NS19K Wrote:
> px320 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've been trying to remember the route we took
> on
> > the excursion in 1991. I know we left Kokomo
> and
> > headed north, but looking at my Topo Maps and
> > Google Earth it looks like the line we were on
> has
> > been turned into the Nickle Plate Trail. I
> think
> > we went as far as Bunker Hill. Can anyone
> confirm
> > this?
> but
> If you have any, and I mean ANY, pictures of this
> trip I would like to see them. The IMC to Peru
> came out before I was old enough to railfan it
> myself. It came out around 1999-2000 but was
> overgrown with weeds for a few years beforehand.

If I still have pics of that trip they are in storage.  It will be at least a week before I can look for them, but I will.

Most pics were given to the studio for their reference.

Date: 05/06/16 21:05
Author: scraphauler

One or more of the more "informative" posts on the Indiana board have been deleted by original poster for whatever reason (too many inside details I would assume).  The track and right of way belong to the Hoosier Heritage Port Authority, which belongs to Hamilton County, CIty of Nobelsville, Town of Fishers, and City of Indianapolis.  Freight concession was granted to Indiana Railroad, but make no mistake, HHPA is NOT interested in growing freight business.  Last freight ran in 2008 maybe? and ine is indeed land locked.  Diamond and connection to NS at Tipton was removed around 2008, and connection to IU Belt (CSXT), diamonds over CSXT Indianapolis Line Sub, and serveal blocks of track in Indianapolis disappeared (some by theft) startig in 2010,

Indiana Transportation Museum (ITM) operates over all in service HHPA tracks, running the standard tourist fare around Nobelsville, and runnimg the popular State Fair Train between Fishers and the State Fair Grounds during the fair.  Problems have arrisen between HHPA and ITM, which has caused the FRA to get involved in operating practices of ITM.  As far as I understand based on some of the deleted posts and other conversations, current situation is that ITM is suspended and barred from HHPA property, and that they have been a number of board changes made/being made at ITM. 

Future remains cloudy, as even if HHPA and ITM kiss and make up, a good portion of the line, including the Fair Train route, is subject to removal and conversion to a Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) system assuming voters approve funding this fall. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0764 seconds