Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Steam & Excursion > 765 this summer

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/17/16 07:42
765 this summer
Author: daylightfan

Who's up for the chase, has anyone planned it out yet.? Keep in mind though, be safe and don't drive crazy.

Date: 05/17/16 07:44
Re: 765 this summer
Author: HotWater

Chase an excursion on METRA?!?!       You're kidding, I hope.

Date: 05/17/16 07:50

Probably be better to get way ahead before it leaves and wait?

Date: 05/17/16 07:56
Author: HotWater

daylightfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Probably be better to get way ahead before it
> leaves and wait?

Ya think?   Head for an area where she will be running the fastest, like maybe accelerating out of a slower portion, and enjoy the show. Checkout the other threads, here on the Steam Railroading board, for discussions on some of the best locations.

Date: 05/17/16 08:39

I was testing the waters for now, to see what ideas other people had. It'll be a heck of a show, only about 25 days away.

Date: 05/17/16 10:01
Author: PatternOfFailure

The Metra/WSOR trip is pretty terrible from a photography standpoint (all the more reason to ride, which I am).

Date: 05/17/16 14:15
Author: Mayfair Tower

While on Metra you'd best just pick a spot.  Once they get on WSOR you may be able to get a couple of shots though you'll have to zig-zag down country roads which will eat up your time.  The bridge over route 12 north of Richmond, IL still has "The Milwaukee Road" painted on the south side of the bridge though it is faded.  Just to the west (100 ft.) of that they cross the old CNW Lake Geneva line which is now a bike trail.  Both are pretty overgrown but you may be able to make something work.  One other cool spot in my opinion (before you get to Janesville with the river bridges) is just west of Zenda, WI there is a road bridge made of timber that you could get an overhead shot from (Hillside Rd.)  Otherwise it's open farmland across the field shots and grade crossings.  If I weren't going to be overseas riding behind steam I would just buy a ticket and enjoy the ride.

Date: 05/17/16 16:12
Author: JLW2K

I won't be tracking that locomotive down.  I still don't understand why they don't disclose deadhead moves or provide tracking of the locomotive.  I still feel the overall aura of that program is anti railfan.  

-James

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/16 16:13 by JLW2K.

Date: 05/17/16 17:34
Author: mitch45

I believe the host railroad does not want a safety issue with people on the property

Date: 05/17/16 17:46
Author: Txhighballer

JLW2K Wrote:
> I won't be tracking that locomotive down.  I
> still don't understand why they don't disclose
> deadhead moves or provide tracking of the
> locomotive.  I still feel the overall aura of
> that program is anti railfan.  
>
> -James

Think about it for a minute. The railroad is trying to handle the deadhead "like any other train" on the railroad. They are not trying to police the right of way for these moves ahead of time. Management personnell are already busy enough trying to just deal with regular traffic. The railroad is being a gracious host for even allowing the trips in the first place. There are so many logistical hurdles to be dealt with you have no idea what kind of hoops the 765 group had to jump through, although they are operating on a "friendly" railroad. You know when she's running...buy a ticket and support the operation, or volunteer.

Date: 05/17/16 18:02
Author: Spoony81

JLW2K Wrote:
>
> -James

They do provide tracking but not during the deadhead moves only during the excursions. They are far from anti rail fan btw

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/17/16 18:03

I'm a member and I've ridden before, this is another way to enjoy 765. I like being out there at crossings with all the other people too.

Date: 05/17/16 18:11

Spoony81 Wrote:
> JLW2K Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I won't be tracking that locomotive down.  I
> > still don't understand why they don't disclose
> > deadhead moves or provide tracking of the
> > locomotive.  I still feel the overall aura of
> > that program is anti railfan.  
> >
> > -James
>
> They do provide tracking but not during the
> deadhead moves only during the excursions. They
> are far from anti rail fan btw
>
> Posted from iPhone

That's just my perception, not the gospel truth.  I have a few occurances and things that have made me think that way and I've conveyed them to Kelley Lynch.  Hopefully they aren't, but to me it has kept me from being excited about or interested in my home state's steam program.   I have a very large video channel on YouTube that I have covered 765 with before but am not excited or interested in covering again because of my past experiences.  Oh well, life goes on with or without my support.

Date: 05/18/16 05:59
Author: nathansixchime

JLW2K Wrote:
> Spoony81 Wrote:
> -----
> > JLW2K Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > I won't be tracking that locomotive down.  I
> > > still don't understand why they don't
> disclose
> > > deadhead moves or provide tracking of the
> > > locomotive.
> >
>
>
> That's just my perception, not the gospel truth.
>  I have a few occurances and things that have
> made me think that way and I've conveyed them to
> Kelley Lynch. 

Just some minor commentary:
- Name another steam locomotive organization that has ever publicized their deadhead moves. We did in 2012 as part of the 21st Century Steam program with the explicit permission of the railroad. No one else does. Not 261, 4449, 611, etc. In the hours/day of our ferry moves in the last few years, we typically make an official statement whether implicied or explicit one way or the other.
- Name another non-profit steam locomotive organization that provides decidated-where-available GPS tracking of its locomotive at either little to no cost to anyone. (UP Steam invested over $40k in their tracking system.)
- Name another non-profit steam locomotive organization that provided (prior to 2015) regular updates on Twitter for both revenue trips and ferry moves.

We typically do have the tracker on during deadhead moves, but can't always maintain its wireless connectivity because of poor cell service (it's Verizon.) If I'm not on board or if I'm firing, I have to deputize another volunteer to keep an eye on it - same with providing the Twitter updates. On ferry moves, the crew is already pretty thin and getting someone else to look after it is very cumbersome.

To put it simply, these outlets are total loss leaders and a major time sink (like some marketing tools), but FWRHS does it because we want to enable as many folks to see/experience the 765 as possible. But when our GPS drops or we don't have cell service to transmit information to the internet, guess who gets the blame? We do. Someone misses the 765 and it's our fault. The incentive has waned over the years because of the attitude that the 765 be delivered in swaddling clothes to the nearest doorstep. While I would love to do this personally, it's just not always possible.

Having said that, there are guaranteed dates and times that you can always see the 765: http://fortwaynerailroad.org/events-and-excursions

Kelly Lynch
VP
FWRHS

Date: 05/18/16 13:01
Author: Rich_Melvin

Very well stated, Kelly.

There's just no pleasing some people...

Rich Melvin
Columbus, OH
My Web Site

Date: 05/18/16 14:51
Author: RRBadTrack

JLW2K Wrote:
>
With comments like this one, is it any wonder why railroads are becoming more and more reluctant to even engage in discussing the possibility of a trip like this, let alone agree to one?

I wish people like this would do half the amount of research into the logistics of a project of this magnitude as they do scouting for photo locations.

Buy a ticket. Enjoy the experience. And, take note of just the obvious things that go into running the train. Then multiply what you see by 500 and you may get some idea of what goes on behind the scenes.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/18/16 14:54

You guys are among the best in public relations, I'm looking forward to seeing you this summer!

Date: 05/18/16 15:57

nathansixchime Wrote:
> JLW2K Wrote:
> -----
> > Spoony81 Wrote:
> >
>
> > -----
> > > JLW2K Wrote:
> > >
> >
>
> >
> > > -----
> > > > I won't be tracking that locomotive down.
>  I
> > > > still don't understand why they don't
> > disclose
> > > > deadhead moves or provide tracking of the
> > > > locomotive.
> > >
> >
> >
> > That's just my perception, not the gospel
> truth.
> >  I have a few occurances and things that have
> > made me think that way and I've conveyed them
> to
> > Kelley Lynch. 
>
> Just some minor commentary:
> - Name another steam locomotive organization that
> has ever publicized their deadhead moves. We did
> in 2012 as part of the 21st Century Steam program
> with the explicit permission of the railroad. No
> one else does. Not 261, 4449, 611, etc. In the
> hours/day of our ferry moves in the last few
> years, we typically make an official statement
> whether implicied or explicit one way or the
> other.
> - Name another non-profit steam locomotive
> organization that provides
> decidated-where-available GPS tracking of its
> locomotive at either little to no cost to anyone.
> (UP Steam invested over $40k in their tracking
> system.)
> - Name another non-profit steam locomotive
> organization that provided (prior to 2015) regular
> updates on Twitter for both revenue trips and
> ferry moves.
>
> We typically do have the tracker on during
> deadhead moves, but can't always maintain its
> wireless connectivity because of poor cell service
> (it's Verizon.) If I'm not on board or if I'm
> firing, I have to deputize another volunteer to
> keep an eye on it - same with providing the
> Twitter updates. On ferry moves, the crew is
> already pretty thin and getting someone else to
> look after it is very cumbersome.
>
> To put it simply, these outlets are total loss
> leaders and a major time sink (like some marketing
> tools), but FWRHS does it because we want to
> enable as many folks to see/experience the 765 as
> possible. But when our GPS drops or we don't have
> cell service to transmit information to the
> internet, guess who gets the blame? We do. Someone
> misses the 765 and it's our fault. The incentive
> has waned over the years because of the attitude
> that the 765 be delivered in swaddling clothes to
> the nearest doorstep. While I would love to do
> this personally, it's just not always possible.
>
> Having said that, there are guaranteed dates and
> times that you can always see the 765:
> http://fortwaynerailroad.org/events-and-excursions
>
>
> Kelly Lynch
> VP
> FWRHS

It is expected of your operations manager to chime in, he works for you and is part of the team. As a career military officer I know there is no pleasing everyone.  But what you both are missing is a few extra layers of thick skin.  I simply stated my perception and how I could be wrong.  I have conveyed to you Kelly my personal experiences and sure enough every time I say something public I get private messages from people saying they feel the same way.  I've got one sitting in my Trainorders PM inbox right now and one in my personal email box.  So I am open to maybe things are done certain ways for a reason, but when I hear other stories I wonder if it's a larger problem.  These folks are volunteers and work very hard, so hats off to them.  I was just conveying my experiences and others for some reason don't want to be as public about it.  Perhaps they're worried they'll get blacklisted from purchasing a ticket or who knows.  There are other railroads and locomotives that do advertise when they start their deadhead so people can at least track something down that way. 

Bottom line, this was not an all out attack on your program.  No reason or even ammo to do so, just passing on that I and others feel they are not railfan friendly.

-James

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/16 16:42 by JLW2K.

Date: 05/18/16 18:16
Author: nathansixchime

James,

I grew up with a girl's name and a scar on my face, if my skin was any thicker I'd be a pair of alligator boots!

I was providing a counterpoint to your comments, which as you've noted I have personally addressed with you via private message. Even despite our involved dialogue, you still decided to share your perspective without including any of of the comments I relayed for you. I wasn't replying necessarily to you, but to the thousands who will no doubt read the commentary but perhaps never participate and are forming their own opinions. Since you mentioned me specifically it seemed like an invitation to share what I've spoken with you about back channel.

If there is another group like ours that advertises and broadcasts and allows tracking of their moves, I don't suppose I'm aware of them.

KL

Date: 05/18/16 19:20

nathansixchime Wrote:
> James,
>
> I grew up with a girl's name and a scar on my
> face, if my skin was any thicker I'd be a pair of
> alligator boots!
>
> I was providing a counterpoint to your comments,
> which as you've noted I have personally addressed
> with you via private message. Even despite our
> involved dialogue, you still decided to share your
> perspective without including any of of the
> comments I relayed for you. I wasn't replying
> necessarily to you, but to the thousands who will
> no doubt read the commentary but perhaps never
> participate and are forming their own opinions.
> Since you mentioned me specifically it seemed like
> an invitation to share what I've spoken with you
> about back channel.
>
> If there is another group like ours that
> advertises and broadcasts and allows tracking of
> their moves, I don't suppose I'm aware of them.
>
> KL

Our involved dialogue did not include why you don't announce deadhead moves but did explain tracking.  When you isolate groups to "like yours" you are setting parameters that are pretty small anyhow.  Hopefully you are railfan friendlier than you have been percieved to be in the past by myself and others.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0985 seconds