Home Open Account Help 300 users online

Steam & Excursion > Big Boy in Sin City

Current Page:1 of 3

Date: 05/19/16 09:09
Big Boy in Sin City
Author: Auburn_Ed

Not too long ago we all had our hopes up.............

Ed

Date: 05/19/16 11:46
Re: Big Boy in Sin City
Author: wigwag

Yep. At that time, some of us were led to believe it was actually going to get rebuilt or something.

Date: 05/19/16 11:59
Author: Spikes

And how does monotonous negativity from you or several others help progress on this or anything else in life, my fellow so-called enthusiasts and preservationists?

Date: 05/19/16 12:00
Author: Realist

Spikes Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And how does monotonous negativity from you or
> several others help progress on this or anything
> else in life, my fellow so-called enthusiasts and
> preservationists?

And how does endless blue-sky, unicorns, free Bubble-UP,
bragging about blatant screw-ups, and eating Rainbow Stew
make it happen at all??

(Apologies to Merle Haggard)

At least they are not deaf, dumb and blind cheerleaders.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/16 12:05 by Realist.

Date: 05/19/16 12:06
Author: NKPBernet

Spikes Wrote:
> And how does monotonous negativity from you or
> several others help progress on this or anything
> else in life, my fellow so-called enthusiasts and
> preservationists?

And the fact nothing has happened in over 2 years is a positive thing?

-Dave

Date: 05/19/16 12:28
Author: HotWater

That's our boy Spikes!

Date: 05/19/16 13:17
Author: davebb71

Spikes, they are actually pissed off at themselves, in that, they took a great steam program for granted and didn't stop by more often or go out to see them passing and enjoy working UP steam engines. "you don't know what you got, 'til it's gone." they watched as the torch was passed on, dropped, and then extinguished. some glimmer of hope has poked it's head up once and a while, but the current UP steam program has kept disappointing them time after time after time and again. broken promises, wrecked equipment, make work programs, etc. you know the story. they are vocalizing their angst of the future of the UP steam.

my $.02, dave, out.

Date: 05/19/16 13:17
Author: dougd

Hey Spikes    give us the latest progress report on the 4014 rebuild

Date: 05/19/16 14:41
Author: callum_out

If anybody goes on the tour, check the boxes and see if the springs have started to rust yet.

Out

Date: 05/19/16 14:58
Author: Frisco1522

Well to put things in perspective, the US fought and won WWII in less time than someone has been jerkin the gherkin on 844.  Just putting that out there.
Spikes, the floor is yours.

Date: 05/19/16 15:13
Author: ns1000

For those who think that UP 4014 is going to be running ANYTIME SOON, I have some GREAT oceanfront property to sell you in Arizona too.........

Just saying....!!!! 

Date: 05/19/16 16:31
Author: JLW2K

Anytime soon?  Not me. If they get 844 running, don't change water treatment back to what worked in the past and don't stop using #2 diesel fuel they will continually be stuck in the loop of fixing 844 just to have it need serious repairs year after year.  My prediction: 2026 will be the return of 4014 at this rate without intervention or change.

-James

Date: 05/19/16 18:20
Author: gra2472

I wonder why some people think they have any right to complain in the first place. So, YOU thought it was going to be done in a certain amount of time. Does that mean that you are somehow entitled to see the locomotive running in your expected timeframe? Did you vote on the project? Donate money? Supply goods or services? Perhaps you gave approval in some way? I have to wonder if the same people who feel negative about the 4014 not being finished when they expect it to have been done, would feel the same way about somebody elses private model railroad not being finished. Is there the same sense of outrage? Are you entitled to it even though you did not spend a dime or help in anyway? I don't think so.

The 4014 is the property of a publicly held corporation, but is also "privately" owned. Meaning that Union Pacific is the only company who has any say about when or where they decide to devote resources to any project they want to focus on. Perhaps it would be prudent to remember that you, the railfan, have no ownership in the 4014 unless you are a majority stakeholder in Union Pacific. This goes for any locomotive owned by Union Pacific, specifically in this case 844, 3985, 4014, and 833, or 5511.

Perhaps it would also be prudent to remember two things. 1: Union Pacific has already layed off 2,700 union workers and more to come, due to declining revenue. Perhaps UP has decided not to spend millions in potential salaries for furloughed workers on a showpiece that actually has little real business value or ability to make money. It might be a poor showing to spend money on a steam engine when people are losing their jobs. 2. Where do you think the 4014 is in the priority list for UP? Is it important in any real way? Which locomotive could UP Steam complete for the 2016 season with the least amout of investment?

​Frankly, I think anybody that bemoans the UP for anything about their steam program is a shortsighted, selfish fool. Why not be thankful that Union Pacific has ANY steam program at all? What other multibillion dollar corporation is spending their money on steam trains today?

Date: 05/19/16 18:44
Author: callum_out

Our collective observation is that for the money that the UP is pouring into Cheyenne, yea for LESS than the money
that UP is pouring into Cheyenne the program could be contracted to an outside firm to provide operating steam to
the UP for their PR efforts. And yes it's their money so in all actuality we don't have a legitimate say.

Out

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/16 19:22 by callum_out.

Date: 05/19/16 18:52
Author: CalZephyr

gra2472 Wrote:
> ​Why not be thankful
> that Union Pacific has ANY steam program at all?

Thankful for what exactly? There is not much evidence of a steam program at UP at the moment.

> What other multibillion dollar corporation is
> spending their money on steam trains today?

Not UP, that's for sure. They're spending money on a department. But there has been no steam from that department for a few years now.

Date: 05/19/16 18:53
Author: 4489

gra2472 Wrote:

>
> ​Frankly, I think anybody that bemoans the UP
> for anything about their steam program is a
> shortsighted, selfish fool. Why not be thankful

I am just curious but should a STEAM PROGRAM not include at least one actual OPERATING steam locomotive?
Just thinking out loud here.  Back to you!

Date: 05/19/16 18:57
Author: EMDX90

gra2472 Wrote:
> I wonder why some people think they have any right
> to complain in the first place.

First amendment gives me the right to say as I please. And I say the Der Leader is much like a certain leader in this country, full of empty promises. 

Date: 05/19/16 19:40
Author: dcfbalcoS1

It was a first class operation a few years ago and is now no different than a rusted out car up on blocks in someones front yard while the toad setting on the porch in his chair brags about how it is the fastest car in town and can out run anything. Really now, in this condition??? And nothing is ever fixed and there are no spare parts. the weeds have not even been stomped down from the porch to the rusting hulk. All talk.                     And yes, we can see the lack of action and it is our right to talk about it if we so decide to do so. Anyone on here has the right to voice their opinion. We are not required to own them, put money in them, work on them or anything else but can still see it for what it is.

Date: 05/19/16 19:49
Author: Realist

gra2472 Wrote:
> 1: Union Pacific has already layed off
> 2,700 union workers and more to come, due to
> declining revenue. Perhaps UP has decided not to
> spend millions in potential salaries for
> furloughed workers on a showpiece that actually
> has little real business value or ability to make
> money. It might be a poor showing to spend money
> on a steam engine when people are losing their
> jobs.

Nice try.  YES, they have furloughed thousands of
employees and stored thousands of locomotives, etc.
BUT, they are STILL spending money on a non-productive
steam program.  It is not an either-or proposition.  Your
argument makes no sense.

Would you rather have 20 more people working on track
Than polishing every nut on a steam engine?

2. Where do you think the 4014 is in the
> priority list for UP? Is it important in any real
> way? Which locomotive could UP Steam complete for
> the 2016 season with the least amout of
> investment?

That's easy.  3985 should have had it's 1,472 done 2
years ago and been running now.

>
> Why not be thankful

Speaking of fools, has it occured to you that they
have been paying money out for almost 3 years and
have NO operating steam engines to show for it?

NS, for one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/16 21:55 by Realist.

Date: 05/19/16 21:53
Author: johnsox

I believe I have the right to complain as a shareholder.
I am a supporter of the steam program for sure but not at all a supporter of wasted money in any of their departments.
And the steam program is clearly mismanaged from my perspective. They need to review the NS approach. It works.

Posted from iPhone

Current Page:1 of 3

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0809 seconds