Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 3977 Cody Park, North Platte, NE

Date: 05/20/16 05:10
UP 3977 Cody Park, North Platte, NE
Author: cozephyr

Summer travel starts Memorial Day weekend.  Check out Union Pacific 3977, 4-6-6-4 Challenger, on display at Cody Park in North Platte, Nebraska.  Grace kindly showed me its location on the east side of Cody Park (wish there were signs pointing to its location).  The cab is open to visitors.  Also on display were UP 6922, DDA-40X Centennial, a UP caboose and the relocated UP Hershey Depot.  Visited May 15, 2016.

Date: 05/20/16 05:21
Re: UP 3977 Cody Park, North Platte, NE
Author: Bob3985

That is an excellent display well maintained by the City of North Platte. My late friend, Harold Mathews, used to help be a host out there and greet the public. Also when in North Platte a visit to the Gold Spike Tower out by Bailey Yard is another place that is well worth the visit. And getting to and from North Platte, even though traffic is somewhat reduced, one can see trains along old US 30. In fact an eastbound manifest is gracing my living room window as I write this, as I live close to the crossovers at Barnett on the east side of Cheyenne.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 05/20/16 05:56
UP Hershey Depot at Cody Park, North Platte, NE
Author: cozephyr

Kaley was excited about the trains and Hershey Depot on display at Cody Park, North Platte, NE, May 15, 2016.  Thanks, Kaley, for adding to our UP 3977 and depot visit.  Kaley's Dad proudly gave permission to take photo.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/16 06:42 by cozephyr.

Date: 05/20/16 06:32
Re: UP Hershey Depot at Cody Park, North Platte, NE
Author: Mudrock

Don't forget the other steam engine in Memorial Park.

Chris

Date: 05/20/16 07:28
Re: UP 3977 Cody Park, North Platte, NE
Author: up3985

Bob3985 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> That is an excellent display well maintained by
> the City of North Platte. My late friend, Harold
> Mathews, used to help be a host out there and
> greet the public. Also when in North Platte a
> visit to the Gold Spike Tower out by Bailey Yard
> is another place that is well worth the visit. And
> getting to and from North Platte, even though
> traffic is somewhat reduced, one can see trains
> along old US 30. In fact an eastbound manifest is
> gracing my living room window as I write this, as
> I live close to the crossovers at Barnett on the
> east side of Cheyenne.

It's my favorite display in the whole country. My family would always stop there on our way to visit grandparents in South Dakota because I wanted to see the"big boy".. I would be corrected soon enough though.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0406 seconds