Home Open Account Help 319 users online

Steam & Excursion > 765 to operate first Amtrak excursion to Galesburg festival

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/25/16 06:59
765 to operate first Amtrak excursion to Galesburg festival
Author: nathansixchime

CHICAGO, May 24, 2016 – For the first time in over a decade, a steam-powered passenger excursion will depart downtown Chicago Union Station on June 25th and 26th.

Nickel Plate Road steam locomotive no. 765 will operate The Galesburg Zephyr between Union Station and Galesburg, Illinois for the Galesburg Railroad Days. These all-day, roundtrip excursions will feature vintage passenger cars from the 1940s and 50s and include accommodations in standard coach, deluxe coach, and first class and dome car. Passengers will enjoy a three-hour layover at the festival.

Tickets can be ordered online at fortwaynerailroad.org or by calling 888-718-4253. Additional information and frequently asked questions can be read at fortwaynerailroad.org/faq. Information and a schedule of events and attractions for the Galesburg Railroad Days can be read at galesburgrailroaddays.org.

The Galesburg Zephyr, a 16 car excursion train, is a nod to the fleets of passenger trains that the Burlington Route operated “EVERYWHERE WEST” starting in the 1930's. The Burlington Route was an early innovator in diesel locomotives, stainless steel passenger cars and the development of the dome car with superior visibility.  This train will carry two vintage dome cars from the 1950’s.

In order to accommodate passengers in Chicago and the surrounding suburbs, an additional passenger stop will also be made both days at the Amtrak station in Naperville, Illinois. The trips are being operated in concert with Amtrak and BNSF - a first for the railroad historical society. There will be an Amtrak diesel locomotive on the train, primarily to generate electricity for the lighting and air conditioning on the passenger cars.

“These trips represent our first partnership with Amtrak and BNSF to bring the magic of the 765 to thousands of people,” said Bill Otter, president of the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society (FWRHS). “Passengers aboard this trip will be the first to experience the 765 at high-speed in many years.”

Owned and operated by the FWRHS, no. 765 has operated passenger excursions and public exhibitions throughout the Midwest since 1979. The locomotive and train attract passengers from around the world for numerous sell-out excursions throughout the year. No. 765 was originally built in 1944, restored in 1979 and completely rebuilt in 2005 and is maintained by an all-volunteer crew.

PRESS RELEASE: http://fortwaynerailroad.org/2016/05/765-excursion-to-galesburg-railroad-festival

TICKETS: https://www.showclix.com/event/galesburg-zephyr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/16 07:58 by nathansixchime.

Date: 05/25/16 07:04
Re: 765 to operate first Amtrak excursion to Galesburg festival
Author: aehouse

Interesting juxtaposition with the recent post that claimed BNSF has banned all steam from its rails.

Art House

Date: 05/25/16 07:05
Author: HotWater

Well there you go!!!!!!     So much for the alleged "anti steam policy" on BNSF!!!!

Congratulations to all in the 765 organization.  I'll be track side in Western Springs, IL for each and every pass (remember there is NO 40MPH speed restriction on BNSF either).

Date: 05/25/16 07:16
Author: CNWGenevaSub

Two steam trips in the Chicago area. This feels like the old days.
Thank you for bringing stem back to Chicago Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society and thank you BNSF and Amtrak for allowing this whole event to take place.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/25/16 07:27
Author: Spoony81

Great job 765 team !!
   I'm taking my 4 1/2 yr old son to the Galesburg Railroad days for the 2nd year in a row and I was secretly hoping  a round trip excursion would go from Galesburg-Quincy that way we could ride it. Living in Springfield it wouldn't make sense for us to drive 3 hours to Chicago to ride it so catching it arriving and leaving Galesburg would be the next best thing for us. Will 765 be open for viewing in Galesburg before it's afternoon departure to Chicago? My wife was 8 months pregnant with my son when we both sat in the cab in 2011 at Train Fest in Rock Island so it would be cool if he got to sit in it for real this time so to speak :-) .. Last time I saw 765 was when I paced it on it's trip from Decatur, IL to St. Louis in 2012. Thanks again 765 for everything you do

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/16 07:33 by Spoony81.

Date: 05/25/16 07:32
Author: bigjim4life

BNSF is anti-steam my a**!!  I wish I could be out there for this!!  :D

Jim Lipnitz
Morrisville, PA
Big Jim Video Productions

Date: 05/25/16 07:52
Author: SP4360

Amazing what you can do when you get ALL yer ducks in line first.

Date: 05/25/16 07:59
Author: Cumbresfan

aehouse Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Interesting juxtaposition with the recent post
> that claimed BNSF has banned all steam from its
> rails.
>
> Art House

Crow tastes better with Texas BBQ sauce!

Date: 05/25/16 10:03
Author: andersonb109

From what can be gleaned  from this good news, clearly the situation in California is different than in Illinois. Could it be a function of all the global warming believers in CA worrying about all the harm that could be done by one steam loco ruining with a diesel doing most of the work? Or are there issues in CA with the other railroads involved,not BNSF?  Or is it an issue with the 3751 group in particular?  My only experience with that group wasn't all the reassuring that they had all their ducks in a row.  On their last trip to the Grand Canyon, we were limited to a crawl once off the BNSF main line. No one bothered to confirm permission to run track speed from the host railroad making for a very boring ride and late arrival and short night for those not fortunate enough to be staying on the train in bedrooms overnight. Not saying that's it. I have no idea. But clearly BNSF has not banned steam from the main line as previously reported.

Date: 05/25/16 11:01
Author: 576

Very good! With the BNSF matter now settled, let's move on to more contemporary railfan curiosities, like...

Will 765-A be finished in time to make the trip, or will they still borrow the one from VMT?
Is Tool Car 701 able to be Amtrak certified, if it hasn't already?
Weren't there a couple of ex-ArTrain cars FWRHS purchased to use on these trips before NS? 

Date: 05/25/16 11:27
Author: unseenthings

I'm more curious about insurance costs, as Jack was saying 3751 was cancled due to Amtrak costs making tickets too expesive to sell

Date: 05/25/16 11:48
Author: The_Chief_Way

but, but ... the 765 trips to Galesburg are running by Amtrak.

Date: 05/25/16 13:04

576 Wrote:
> Very good! With the BNSF matter now settled,
> let's move on to more contemporary railfan
> curiosities, like...
>
> Will 765-A be finished in time to make the trip,
> or will they still borrow the one from VMT?

No and yes.

> Is Tool Car 701 able to be Amtrak certified, if it
> hasn't already?

701 will sit these ones out. We'll be using an Amtrak baggage car instead.

> Weren't there a couple of ex-ArTrain cars FWRHS
> purchased to use on these trips before NS? 

Yes, one is under consideration right now for restoration. We have a local hospital that's expressed interest in helping return one of the former US Army Hospital car into one that can accommodate passengers with limited mobility, but it's about another 6-9 months off if they decide to partner with us.

KL

Date: 05/25/16 13:17
Author: PhillipJohnson

Is the Amtrak diesel required to be in the consist by Amtrak, or is it primarily for HEP and dynamic braking?  If a group had their own power car that was Amtrak certified, could they forego the Amtrak unit if there wasn't a concern for fuel consumption and/or dynamic braking?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/25/16 13:41 by PhillipJohnson.

Date: 05/25/16 13:56
Author: displacedneb

Diesel also required so if a mechanical problem arises with the steam power there is a way to move the train.

Date: 05/25/16 14:03
Author: HotWater

displacedneb Wrote:
> Diesel also required so if a mechanical problem
> arises with the steam power there is a way to move
> the train.

Except with the track record of Amtrak diesels, I find such protection for 765 highly unlikely!

Date: 05/25/16 15:46
Author: PhillipJohnson

nathansixchime Wrote:

> We have a local hospital that's
> expressed interest in helping return one of the
> former US Army Hospital car into one that can
> accommodate passengers with limited mobility, but
> it's about another 6-9 months off if they decide
> to partner with us.
>
> KL

Kelly, is this Hospital Car from the 1945 ACF built lot with 6-wheel trucks, or the 1953 St. Louis Car lot that rides on 4 wheel trucks?

Date: 05/25/16 19:19
Author: SP4360

More likely the 765 will be the protection for the dismal grinder.

And for anderson109, no, the greenies aren't worried about the bad old steam engine, or the diesel with it. Get a clue.

displacedneb Wrote:
> Diesel also required so if a mechanical problem
> arises with the steam power there is a way to move
> the train.

Posted from Android

Date: 05/25/16 19:34

PhillipJohnson Wrote:

> Kelly, is this Hospital Car from the 1945 ACF
> built lot with 6-wheel trucks, or the 1953 St.
> Louis Car lot that rides on 4 wheel trucks?

St. Louis Car Company -- no. 89554 / Amtrak Baggage Dormitory no. 1424 / Wreck Dormitory no. 16505.

Date: 05/25/16 19:50
Author: sd24b

The_Chief_Way Wrote:
> but, but ... the 765 trips to Galesburg are
> running by Amtrak.

They are paying Amtrak an astronomical amount of money for that privilege.

Posted from Android

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds