Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Steam & Excursion > It's The Faces Of The Steam Crew Members That Tells The Story!

Date: 05/29/16 03:42
It's The Faces Of The Steam Crew Members That Tells The Story!
Author: LoggerHogger

All to often when we see a great photo of a steam locomotive in service we are too busy studying the details of the engine to stop and look into the faces of the men who actually are the story of the age of steam.  Let's not make that same mistake here.

We are trackside in 1919 at Twin, Washington and the crew of Puget Sound Mills & Timber Co. Shay #2 have brought their engine to a stop for the camera man.  While the photographer gets his final setting adjusted the men have a moment to reflect on the hard day still ahead for them.  We can see it in their eyes.  This is not easy work.  They are the real reason that Shay #2 is being photographed today.

When you take a moment to actually stop and see the crew, you will see what the age of steam railroading was really all about.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/16 03:57 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 05/29/16 04:38
Re: It's The Faces Of The Steam Crew Members That Tells The Story
Author: PlyWoody

Is that a tea pot (Like English tea) in the tender or is that tea pot used to add oil to the journal or engine pots?

Date: 05/29/16 08:08
Author: BAB

Looks quite fancy for an oil pot think you might be right as they have the means to heat it for sure. Nice picture not many from back then with that much detail the fellow standing on the engine looks very young too.

Date: 05/29/16 09:43
Author: up833

The person in the cab..a lot younger than the others.  Engineer?...doubtful?  Woman?
Nice old photo.Roger Beckett.

Date: 05/29/16 09:50
Author: flash34

The engineer is probably the guy on the ground. The young guy in the cab is the fireman. I started firing when I was 15, and that was in the early 90's, so I know they would have let them start even younger back then. A responsible teenager can handle a firing job very capably.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 05/29/16 12:54
Author: Btrain

I know those looks, it's time for dinner!

Date: 05/29/16 15:33
Author: Greyhounds

Back in 1919 high school was not that common.  Unless you were a rich kid.

After eight years of schooling a male was expected to know how to read, write and do arithmatic.  And at age 14/15 he was expected to go to work and support himself and help with the family finances.

Date: 05/29/16 16:35
Author: RRMike

You know, I think that is a woman on the gangway, looks like hair tucked up under the cap, I know 1919 not likely, But still...

Date: 05/29/16 20:24
Author: Streamliner

Martin,
Your photos and stories always touch me, but this one even more so.  It was men like those pictured that helped build our great country.
Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend,
Allen

Date: 05/29/16 20:26
Author: ValvePilot

Female fireman. Too pretty for a guy!

Date: 05/30/16 22:58
Author: Cjcheely

Hello

If it is a women in the cab of the locomotive, The reason could be that ww1 had just end and there was not enough men back state side to displacer her.

Chris

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0419 seconds