Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Steam & Excursion > AFT 1 Travesty ... Shame on the B&O RR Museum

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/30/16 20:54
AFT 1 Travesty ... Shame on the B&O RR Museum
Author: burlingtonjohn

=12.0ptOn Tuesday, 24 May, I visited the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore. On a trip to the Washington DC area, my family decided to visit the National Zoo in Washington DC and I vetoed the idea, deciding to take my first ever Acela ride and see the museum and more specifically, American Freedom Train #1 (aka Reading 2101).=12.0pt =12.0ptTo say that I am dismayed about the condition of the T1 (as the AFT crews refer to it) would be an understatement. If the T1’s condition isn’t borderline criminal, I don’t know what is. To be fair, the volunteer staff at the museum bear no responsibility in this travesty and I wish that someone that had some degree of authority had been in attendance so that I may have engaged them.=12.0pt =12.0ptI fully understand the challenges that the museum has had to face over the last 10+ years. They have rebounded from the roof collapse in fine fashion.

But.=12.0pt =12.0ptAs I visited the museum, I couldn’t help but think that they had plenty of nice signs that said “Danger Keep Off” on the various items on display.  The equipment on display in the roundhouse is immaculate. Some of the locomotives on display outside show obvious signs of new paint jobs. The same can’t be said for what is on display in the former car shop (if that is wrong, please correct me).  Most of the passenger and freight cars outside are deteriorating. I don’t know what is contained in the “restoration” facility, as it was not open to view. Didn’t see the GP30, etc.=12.0pt =12.0ptAs far as I could tell, the T1 is the only steam locomotive outside that is not protected from the elements. Rust. Graffiti. Broken items. Literally hidden from view. As a fan of the AFT, it pains me to no end. I first saw the T1 in August of 1981 and it is evident to me that other than having been moved about the grounds, the museum leadership is solely responsible for the deterioration that has befallen her today. Correct me if I am wrong.=12.0pt =12.0ptI will let Ross Rowland chime in should he so desire, but as I recall, he told me at the last AFT crew reunion that he had approached the so called powers that be at the museum, offering to raise money for a cosmetic restoration of the T1 and was given the cold shoulder.=12.0pt =12.0ptThree steam locomotives took turns on the point of the American Freedom Train. SP 4449 needs no introduction as to her condition or how she is taken care of. T&P 610 is under cover. Neither 4449 nor 610 wear their AFT paint scheme and that is okay by me. AFT 1 is the sole reminder of what was undoubtedly the most significant railroad event to happen in my lifetime. To see her in the state she is in now is absolutely heartbreaking.  Before leaving the premises, I placed a hand on a cylinder and quietly said “you deserve better”.=12.0pt =12.0ptI’m not trying to start or organize a “Fire Up AFT 1” group. I am not foaming for an operational restoration.  All I hope for or desire is that the T1 is cosmetically restored or, if the B&O museum declines to do so, that AFT 1 is released to a group or organization that will take care of her in a manner befitting her historical importance.=12.0pt =12.0ptRespectfully,=12.0ptBurlington John

Date: 05/30/16 20:55
Re: AFT 1 Travesty ... Shame on the B&O RR Museum

more

Date: 05/30/16 20:56

more of the decline

Date: 05/30/16 20:57
Author: hkyman16

You and a million other posts on this very forum have said the exact same thing regarding the condition of this icon. It would seem that posts on here are "preaching to the choir".

Date: 05/30/16 20:58

more decline

Date: 05/30/16 21:01

Surely AFT 1 deserves better .....

Date: 05/30/16 21:52
Author: SP4360

Disgusting, just plain disgusting. I'm glad to have been part of the AFT and got to ride behind her.
If I ever make it to Baltimore, these clowns will not see a nickle of mine.

Date: 05/30/16 22:01
Author: kurt765

Does the museum have plenty of money and are just not doing anything tor care for some elements in their colleciton? Or are they short on money and have allocated money into other resources? I've yet to see a museum that has the resources to care for eveything in their colleciton with the quality that people always seem to demand, as if meusems were just made of money.

Date: 05/30/16 23:45
Author: SP4360

Like most, it's a pick and choose game. This loco with the history it has, should have been at the very least under a roof. 

kurt765 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does the museum have plenty of money and are just
> not doing anything tor care for some elements in
> their colleciton? Or are they short on money and
> have allocated money into other resources? I've
> yet to see a museum that has the resources to care
> for eveything in their colleciton with the quality
> that people always seem to demand, as if meusems
> were just made of money.

Date: 05/30/16 23:54
Author: DNelsonWarehouse

If people on this board want to see 2101 cosmetically restored, I think the B&O Museum would be interested to talk. However, yelling and waiving fists in the air about what a travesty it is and giving them grief about it won't get it anywhere. Saying "they're never getting a nickel from me" isn't exactly useful either. The B&O Museum, just like all other museums, has a yearly budget to meet and can only do as much as said budget allows. 2101 doesn't really fit their mission anyway. It's a Reading engine in B&O territory.

Like I said, if you really want change, go to them with a fundraising plan and some proof you can make it happen. Don't go in there telling them they're doing a crappy job and insisting they do something just because you have feelings for the engine.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/16 23:55 by DNelsonWarehouse.

Date: 05/31/16 00:19

DNelsonWarehouse Wrote:
> If people on this board want to see 2101
> cosmetically restored, I think the B&O Museum
> would be interested to talk. However, yelling and
> waiving fists in the air about what a travesty it
> is and giving them grief about it won't get it
> anywhere. Saying "they're never getting a nickel
> from me" isn't exactly useful either. The B&O
> Museum, just like all other museums, has a yearly
> budget to meet and can only do as much as said
> budget allows. 2101 doesn't really fit their
> mission anyway. It's a Reading engine in B&O
> territory.
>
> Like I said, if you really want change, go to them
> with a fundraising plan and some proof you can
> make it happen. Don't go in there telling them
> they're doing a crappy job and insisting they do
> something just because you have feelings for the
> engine

​There are several items at the museum that have absolutely nothing to do with the B&O.  An Illinois Central reefer comes to mind. A Central Railroad of New Jersey camelback is another.  The T1 does have significant history as it relates to not only Baltimore but the Chessie as well.

​Please note that I never made any threats about never getting another nickle from me.  I never said that the volunteers were doing a crappy job,  ​As for waving fists, etc, if Mr. Rowland is given the cold shoulder, what is it we can do?

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 05/31/16 02:48
Author: ClubCar

DNelsonWarehouse Wrote:
> If people on this board want to see 2101
> cosmetically restored, I think the B&O Museum
> would be interested to talk. However, yelling and
> waiving fists in the air about what a travesty it
> is and giving them grief about it won't get it
> anywhere. Saying "they're never getting a nickel
> from me" isn't exactly useful either. The B&O
> Museum, just like all other museums, has a yearly
> budget to meet and can only do as much as said
> budget allows. 2101 doesn't really fit their
> mission anyway. It's a Reading engine in B&O
> territory.
>
> Like I said, if you really want change, go to them
> with a fundraising plan and some proof you can
> make it happen. Don't go in there telling them
> they're doing a crappy job and insisting they do
> something just because you have feelings for the
> engine.
>
> Posted from Android
​Here we go again.  I have covered this story many, many times.  The whole B&O Railroad Museum is mismanaged period, meaning the wrong people are in charge.  Sure they need money like every other museum, however where do the spend​ that money?  Burlington John, did you look at their B&O passenger cars in the front yard?  Did you see the former Pennsylvania Railroad Passenger Cars that they spent money on to represent the B&O?  These are the cars they operate as their excursion train fooling the public.
​Here is the crux:  There have been people interested in redoing the American Freedom Train, and the museum management said NO​, there have been people interested in the restoration of the passenger cars, and the museum management said ​NO​.  The now defunct organization that owned the one time B&O lounge/observation car #3302 "Edward G. Hooper" donated that car along with two other passenger cars, plus all their tools, spare parts, money and investments​ to the B&O Railroad Museum, the original management promised to maintain these cars and keep them in good shape for the public to be able to learn about B&O travel.  None of these cars have been maintained and the 3302, which by the way was the rear observation car for the Chessie System Steam Safety Express Train pulled by ex-C&O 614, has been left to sit there and continue to rust away.  Trust me, some members from the group that donated the car along with some members from the B&O R.R. Historical Society and the local NRHS chapter have all been told that at this time, these cars are not in their plans right now.  Meanwhile they are deteriorating more and more every year.  The museum has money, but they spend it on other things and they waste money, like painting those Pennsylvania Passenger Cars in B&O colors to fool the public.  The current management has turned away volunteers willing to work on the equipment too.  Please believe me; as I've said it before, the management of the museum is the problem folks.
​John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 05/31/16 06:15
Author: co614

There's no question that the current condition of AFT # 1 is a disgrace and needs to be corrected. I would hope that at the very least the management of the B&O museum would put a trap over the locomotive until resources can be generated to give her a proper cosmetic restoration?? 

When I made the deal to swap her in return for the title to C&O 614 part of the transaction was our promises to each other to always maintain each engine in " good appearance repair"  and at least we've kept our side of that bargain in that the 614 is on public display at the C&OHS in Clifton Forger, Va. and being very well cared for cosmetically.

Hopefully, soon,...... the B&O museum will find the funding to start keeping its half of the bargain?

Hope springs eternal.   Ross Rowland

Date: 05/31/16 07:36
Author: NKPBernet

co614 Wrote:
> When I made the deal to swap her in return
> for the title to C&O 614 part of the transaction
> was our promises to each other to always maintain
> each engine in " good appearance repair"

That promise in writing?

Date: 05/31/16 07:37
Author: ClubCar

co614 Wrote:
> There's no question that the current condition of
> AFT # 1 is a disgrace and needs to be corrected. I
> would hope that at the very least the management
> of the B&O museum would put a trap over the
> locomotive until resources can be generated to
> give her a proper cosmetic restoration?? 
>
>     When I made the deal to swap her in return
> for the title to C&O 614 part of the transaction
> was our promises to each other to always maintain
> each engine in " good appearance repair"  and at
> least we've kept our side of that bargain in that
> the 614 is on public display at the C&OHS in
> Clifton Forger, Va. and being very well cared for
> cosmetically.
>
>     Hopefully, soon,...... the B&O museum will
> find the funding to start keeping its half of the
> bargain?
>
>     Hope springs eternal.   Ross Rowland
​Thanks Ross.  You are correct in your statement.  The sad part is that there are​ folks willing to donate money and honestly, the museum management turned them down.  The group known as RRP (Railroad Passenger Cars) that you also know, they gave them their last cars and spare parts, tools, money & investments when John Ott was in charge, and the museum was to maintain those cars, which they are not ​doing either.  A friend of mine, who was an officer of RRP has told me this several times and these people are upset and furious with the B&O R.R. Museum Management.  Your T-1 #2101 should be kept in pristine condition and on a prominent display position to tell all of its history including the fact that this engine pulled the 150th birthday celebration of the B&O Railroad in 1977 & 1978.
John

Date: 05/31/16 08:42
Author: njmidland

burlingtonjohn Wrote:
> ​There are several items at the museum that have
> absolutely nothing to do with the B&O.  An
> Illinois Central reefer comes to mind. A Central
> Railroad of New Jersey camelback is another.  The
> T1 does have significant history as it relates to
> not only Baltimore but the Chessie as well.

The CNJ camelback (as well as CNJ 1000) are there due to the B&O's indirect control (via the Reading) of the CNJ for most of the 20th century.

Tim

Date: 05/31/16 10:11
Author: rwullich

They do have the resources.  Based on a visit late last summer, I would agree it's a management issue.  As no one could (or since then) has been able to articulate any sort of plan for many of the pieces.  They seem to be wanting to narrow their focus towards B&O items as evidenced by some recent divestitures but then they go and paint up the MARC cars in a pseudo B&O scheme.

I went to their website looking for additional information on their finances, and, unfortunately, all I could locate were the public "Annual Reports" that, interestingly tout their accomplishments for each year and their total assets.   I couldn't find their IRS Form 990's but did manage to find a copy of their most recent (FYE: 6/31/015) via Guidestar.

A few highlights:  They list over $5.77m in receipts for the year. $1.79m of salaries. (That m is for Millions).  They also list $25.1 million in total assets (which includes the land, buildings, etc (~13m) and a $9.3m securities portfolio).  I'm not advocating selling the $9.3m of securities but there seems to be a lot of pieces that could use some attention and a plan of action going forward.

I'd be happy to share the Form 990 if anyone is curious.  TO won't let me attach it here.

Roy

Date: 05/31/16 11:05
Author: filmteknik

Funny thing:  Their posted mission statement does not say squat about focusing on B&O / C&O or anyone else but does speak of a regional focus.  If it is really to be about certain lines why don't they ever update their mission statement to reflect this?

Even so, AFT 1 deserves to be there because of its excursion use by the carrier (as 2101).

But as the mission statement currently stands, their GG1 deserves inclusion too as having served the area.  I guess it's a matter of "we do as we please not as we say."

I think everyone realizes there is only so much they can do.  But maybe they should be more open about the choices they make and not turn down help that is offered.  It's the attitude that has people closing their wallet, not just a few rust flakes.

Date: 05/31/16 11:28
Author: EMDX90

Why don't you go volunteer there and get your hands dirty instead of whining on an internet forum. You want something done, go do it.

Date: 05/31/16 11:36
Author: jst3751

EMDX90 Wrote:
> Why don't you go volunteer there and get your
> hands dirty instead of whining on an internet
> forum. You want something done, go do it.

You obviously have not bothered reading the entire thread, for if you had you would not have put your foot into your mouth.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1374 seconds