Home Open Account Help 376 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steam infrastructure

Date: 06/21/16 17:48
Steam infrastructure
Author: jbwest

Back in 1961 I rode a UP fan trip from Cheyenne to Ogden with the 844.  In looking at the pix from that trip, what I really enjoy are the images that show the big time steam infrastructure at various locations, like the first picture at Green River.  Turntables, roundhouses, coaling towers, oil and water facilities.   Over the years most of that kind of stuff has disappearred.  I am aware at a few spots where it survives, such as Chama and Ely (pictured). And Orbisonia.  And a bunch of other spots were bits and pieces have been either preserved or recreated, including some towering concrete coal silos.  I love the water plug at the Western Maryland station in Cumberland.  What other places have steam, and some interesting steam era facilities either original or recreated, to provide some authentic background for steam pix.

JBWX 

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/16 18:10 by jbwest.

Date: 06/21/16 17:58
Re: Steam infrastructure
Author: Cajon92

Great trio of images. In particular I like that photo of the 844 at Green River, the 'pit' area has changed somewhat from that 1961 view :-) 

Thanks for sharing,
Ryan

Date: 06/21/16 18:14
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Oooooh.....Those are beautiful photos, sir!    Very well done!
I absolutely love the photo of the magnificent and very, very
impressive UP 844 -- in her proper setting -- as you so well
pointed out.

Man, do I miss all that incredible infrastructure of the steam era.
What absolutely amazes me is the superb work that so many are
able to do on these magnificent beasts -- now! -- in spite of the
almost complete lack of the supporting physical and human
infrastructure.  My hat is off to all who keep these incredible machines
running so safely and so reliably and so well -- in spite of the fact that it
now has been more than 50 years since the end of the steam era.  Wow........

Date: 06/21/16 20:14
Author: tomstp

UP had several engine terminals that would entertain you viewing them.  I think more than any other western railroad.  Add to that the fact that John takes so good photos.

I am not much of an eastern steam fan but, I do really go over shots of their engine terminals.

Date: 06/22/16 07:15
Author: YG

Three great images!

Steve Mitchell
yardgoatimages.com 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0618 seconds