Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Steam & Excursion > 765 to Janesville, WI

Date: 06/22/16 21:10
765 to Janesville, WI
Author: kevink

I was all ready to post my photos from the 765s run to Janesville, WI on June 12 but the news of the Galesburg trip cancellation took the wind out of my sails. At any rate, here are the results of the day. My son really wanted to see the train at speed so I revised my original plan to just head north to Wisconsin for one or two spots. As it turned out, we had ample time to get back to the expressway and into Wisconsin without needing any crazy driving on my part. Very important since my daughter with her brand new learner's permit was along for the ride...
1. 765 races north on the CP/Metra main along Waukegan Road in Bannockburn, IL. There were only two other fans at this location and no pack of pacing vehicles, just a single sports car convertible. Not even sure the driver was a fan.
2. One more of 765 along Waukegan Road.

We found a little spot just north of the state line and a few miles east of Zenda. What had started out as a sunny morning was radily turning overcast. This actually helped with the westbound trip especially once the 765 was on the Wisconsin Southern tracks west of Fox Lake, IL
3. 765 rolling west

Date: 06/22/16 21:10
Re: 765 to Janesville, WI

4. Looking west as the train heads towards Zenda, WI. The skies were looking somewhat ominous to the west but the storms stayed west of Janesville as they moved south into Illinois.

I really had no plan other than to work my way west and north to a spot near Janesville. We found ourselves on Cobblestone Road west of Zenda when a horse farm presented an serendipitous opportunity.

5 and 6. Horse meet the Iron Horse. (BTW, it's challenging to get the real horses in the right spot with rods down on the iron horse)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/16 21:17 by kevink.

Date: 06/22/16 21:11

7. West of Walworth, WI at Six Corners Road.

Due to a minor navigation error, we did not get to my planned westbound location at Van Allen Road east of Janesville in time to set up a shot. I'll spare you any of those that I did get...

8. After a lunch stop at Culver's in Janesville, we headed back to Van Allen Road for the eastbound run back to Chicago.

9. After lackluster results at a couple of locations on the return trip, we came across Zenda where there was a very well behaved photo line on the east side of town where we got out last shot of 765 in Wisconsin.

While the crowds departed, I made a quick foray to the west side of Zenda to grab a couple of shots of the critter parked on the elevator track. See: http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4059058

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/16 21:26 by kevink.

Date: 06/22/16 21:11

I wanted one more attempt at 765 and headed to Fox Lake, IL. The curve at the east end of the Metra commuter storage yard looked promising although it ended up a bit more backlit that I wanted (We also had one last minute line crasher whom was promptly shouted at. In defense of the fans, she looked right at the rest of us before stepping into our shot). At any rate, 765 whistled off from its station stop in Fox Lake and quickly accelerated around the curve throwing a cloud of smoke and cinders skyward. My daughter was picking cinders out of hair the whole ride home!

Thanks to the 765 crew and host railroads. We look forward to seeing 765 next year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/16 21:32 by kevink.

Date: 06/23/16 02:16
Author: andersonb109

The horse shots are excellent. Too many times, railway photographers only want the train in their photos. You also did a good job of hiding the offending equipment at the Zenda shot passing the structure. The same could be done with the first horse shot by cropping just to the left of the tree.

Date: 06/23/16 03:36
Author: ut-1

Great work, especially like the shots with the horses.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0761 seconds