Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Steam & Excursion > Where did my Dad take these?

Date: 06/25/16 15:23
Where did my Dad take these?
Author: WrongWayMurphy

All I know is 5629 was a CB&Q pacific type.  We lived in Dallas so I am guessing
this was on a business or family trip somewhere other than Big D.  Dad wasn't a big
rail fan but he did appreciate steam.

Date: 06/25/16 15:26
Re: Where did my Dad take these?
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Sorry for picture quality but all slides in this stack were yellowed.

One other in this stack was a diesel.

The odd thing is that each slide says PERUTZ on one side and "Made in Germany" on the other

Date: 06/25/16 15:27
Author: RBMN-ENGR

Don't recognize the location, but the 5629 was an Ex-Grand Trunk Western locomotive. Not CB&Q.

Chris Bost
Leesport, PA

Date: 06/25/16 15:53
Author: HotWater

RBMN-ENGR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Don't recognize the location, but the 5629 was an
> Ex-Grand Trunk Western locomotive. Not CB&Q.

Correct. The 5600 series on CB&Q, the O5 Class, were all 4-8-4s. Dick Jensen (sp) purchased GTW Pacific #5629, added a bigger former Rock Island tender, and operated many excursions with it, back in the 1960s.

Date: 06/25/16 16:05
Author: dt8089

Could it be on one of its trips from Chicago to Galesburg?  Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/16 16:07 by dt8089.

Date: 06/25/16 16:09
Author: HotWater

dt8089 Wrote:
> Could it be on one of its trips from Chicago to
> Galesburg?  Dan

I don't think Dick Jensen ever operated any trips to Galesburg, on the CB&Q.

Date: 06/25/16 16:58
Author: RuleG

I'm guessing that the first photo was taken in South Bend, Indiana.

Date: 06/25/16 17:37
Author: LarryDoyle

WrongWayMurphy Wrote:

>
> One other in this stack was a diesel.
>
CB&Q Baldwins are more scarce than hen's teeth.

-John

Date: 06/25/16 18:43
Author: Thumper

Perutz was one of the many early colour slide films.
I think its origin was Italy however could be wrong.
Made in Germany may well have been the slide mount.
The then standard E-4 equivalent chemistry could be used
to process the film, unlike rival Agfa whose films
had to be returned to Agfa for processing.
In the early 1960's here in Southern Ontario all make
and manner of slide films appeared, including Kodak,
the yellow giant, now withered old man.
Fuji was a mountain in Japan.

Date: 06/25/16 18:45
Author: bnsfbob

LarryDoyle Wrote:
> WrongWayMurphy Wrote:
>
> >
> > One other in this stack was a diesel.
> >
> CB&Q Baldwins are more scarce than hen's teeth.
>
> -John

Nostalgic with those boys in the foreground. I grew up with the Q.

Bob

Date: 06/25/16 21:19
Author: CHOOCHOOMAN

On a B&Q trip to Garrett, IN in 1962.  Prior to the change to the larger Soo Line mountain tender.  The last shot is at CB&Q's Clyde yard.

Date: 06/29/16 14:34
Author: sierrawestern

Correct that 5629 was a GTW Pacific (sister 5632 is displayed in Durand, MI although has an all-weather cab) and that its original small 4-axle GTW tender was replaced with a Soo Line, not Rock Island, six-axle tender.  If I remember the story correctly, Irv Cofran (spelling on the last name?) who was a road foreman or roundhouse foreman on the Illinois Central helped Dick Jensen select the Soo Line tender.  Sometime in the late '60s I recall a Sunday morning visit to the Chicago and Western Indiana roundhouse at 47th Street in Chicago with my father and a railroad tower operator friend of his and seeing 5629's original tender in one of the stalls.  5629 was not there.  The Burlington Route's 5632 was there too, Jensen having purchased it in kit form when Lou Menk shut down the Burlington fantrip program.  Anybody else out there still have their "Menk the Fink" button?  I remember the roundhouse stalls weren't very deep and while the engine itself fit inside, the tender extended beyond the doors.  Don't think my father took one photo in the roundhouse that day as I have never come across anything in his collection.

The photos show the original GTW tender and I only remember two trips in the early '60s with 5629 and its original tender.  One was a trip over the B&O on Father's Day, June 17, 1962 to Walkerton, IN and back.  I don't think 5629 ever ran a trip to Garrett.  I recall one other trip in November 1961 over the B&OCT around the Chicago area.  Ran east on the B&OCT to Pine Junction just west of Gary, IN where the B&OCT joined the B&O mainline, backed west on the main to MS tower in Whiting, IN and headed south on the track from Whiting to the yard in East Chicago, IN (Whiting Junction) and headed west going back to Grand Central in Chicago on the B&OCT rails again.  Seems like 5629 disappeared from the scene after 1962 and did not appear again until late 1966 for several trips on the GTW, both out of Chicago and in Michigan, all with the Soo Line tender.  1966 through 1968 was its' fantrip heyday and it was off the grid again until a scheduled Penn Central Chicago-Logansport, IN trip in April 1971 that never ran.  The load of coal placed in the tender for that cancelled 1971 trip was still there when the engine was cut up in the former Rock Island's Blue Island yard in 1987.

I don't know the location of any of the photos and I don't think South Bend is correct for one of them.  I thought the building in the background on the engineer's side could be the Studebaker plant across the tracks from the South Bend station but the curvature of the track is not right for this location.  And the fans waiting in the foreground don't make sense.  The GTW trips to South Bend always backed west on the NYC tracks after detraining passengers and then used a connection to head south to Olivers Yard for servicing before backing east on the GTW rails to place the train back in the station.  There'd be no reason for the fans to be at that crossing as the train wouldn't go any further east.

These photos are going to make me wrack my brain looking for an answer.  One more thing to put on my bucket list.  Thanks for posting though.  I always enjoy the trips back to the 1960s Chicago steam fantrip scene.  Those were great times!         

Date: 07/17/16 09:21
Author: ghemr

In the first photo your Dad is standing next to the B&OCT at 63rd and Bell in Chicago. American Can Co. is the white building in the background. The train is heading east (geographically south) on Track #2. The freight cars are in the PRR 59th St yard......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/17/16 09:25 by CSX_ENG.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0529 seconds