Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Steam & Excursion > Fixing A Problem?-Or Is The Crew Simply Saying Goodbye To Her!

Date: 06/26/16 03:39
Fixing A Problem?-Or Is The Crew Simply Saying Goodbye To Her!
Author: LoggerHogger

Everything about this photo speaks so much about the transition from steam power to diesel.

The Western Pacific freight train assigned to carry WP 0-6-0 #161 to her final destination has stopped en route.  The train crew has taken the time to come back and visit #161 one last time.  The missing bell, headlight, whistle, builder's plates and lettering placards tells us all too well that #161 has been stricken from the WP roster and has been sold for scrap.

Why has the train crew gathered around poor #161?  Have the discovered a hot bearing that needs to be addressed?  It does not appear that way. 

Perhaps they realize this may be the only chance they will get to take one last look at the steam power they were all trained to operate on.  Had this crew previously all had occasion to operate #161 in regular service?  Perhaps. 

Whatever their reason for them to stop and visit one last time with her, they all seem to be saying their own final goodbyes to this old Friend.

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/16 04:29 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 06/26/16 04:05
Re: Fixing A Problem?-Or Is The Crew Simply Saying Goodbye To Her
Author: Finderskeepers

Thankfully sister 165 survived and is now undergoing restoration to operating condition at Portola, California
http://wprrsteam.blogspot.ca/?m=1

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/26/16 07:56
Author: BAB

Have been there several times and keep wondering when they will get shut down due to all of the oil and diesel standing on the ground. I know its all volunteer but also know what the EPA or whatever can do to someone. Has any thought gone into clean up and fixing leaking diesel engines they operate?  When there is fuel dripping off of an engine they operate doesn't look too good.
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thankfully sister 165 survived and is now
> undergoing restoration to operating condition at
> Portola, California
> http://wprrsteam.blogspot.ca/?m=1
>
> Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/16 07:58 by BAB.

Date: 06/26/16 11:38
Author: czuleget

I have seen absorbent pads placed between the rails at many museums. I think it is a wise move to do the pad placement. I think also, the contamination is from the early days of the Western pacific and will be very costly to remove. So be silent.   

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0742 seconds