Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Steam & Excursion > American Freedom Steam engine #1

Date: 07/23/16 07:18
American Freedom Steam engine #1
Author: ClubCar

In a recent discussion here on Trainorders.com the question was asked as to whether or not the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania located in Strasburg, PA would be willing to accept the former Reading 2101 to be cosmetically restored and placed on display.  Well in speaking to a friend of mine who knows someone of importance at the museum, I was told that they surely would be happy to have a Reading T-1, especially the 2101, since it represented the power that pulled the American Freedom Train all over the eastern half of our country.  Keep in mind that there are two former Reading F unit diesel engines on display at the museum and since the Reading Railroad was a major player that employed thousands of workers directly and indirectly in Pennsylvania, it would enhance this outstanding museum even more, to be able to explain the vast Reading R.R. history.  Now the two questions are, would the B&O R.R. Museum be willing to let the 2101 leave (since they are not maintaining it right now), and would groups such as the NRHS, the Reading Historical Society, and other historic groups be able to raise the needed money to transport the engine to Strasburg?
​John in White Marsh, Maryland

Date: 07/23/16 07:54
Re: American Freedom Steam engine #1
Author: RBMN-ENGR

There are no Reading F-units at the RR Museum of Pennsylvania. There are however two of them at Steamtown. I too would like to see the 2101 closer to home territory.

Chris Bost
Leesport, PA

Date: 07/23/16 08:38
Author: ClubCar

RBMN-ENGR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There are no Reading F-units at the RR Museum of
> Pennsylvania. There are however two of them at
> Steamtown. I too would like to see the 2101 closer
> to home territory.

​I'm sorry, they were there a few years ago, and I did not know that they moved them.  Thanks for letting me know this.
John

Date: 07/23/16 13:43
Author: 4-4-0LiveSteam

The 2124 this morning at steamtown.

Date: 07/23/16 19:27
Author: Mgoldman

Would the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania be willing to purchase the locomotive?

Would the B&O Railroad Musuem be willing to sell the locomotive?

It has sat a long time, but then again, slowy, and one by one, locomotives ARE being
restored at the B&O Museum.  Currently, the B&O EA is undergoing cosmetic restor-
ation, followed, rumor has it, by C&O #490.  Prior to that, the locomotives damaged
by the roof collapse have been restored.

If you are just wondering hypothetically, if fans would find the RRMPA a fitting place
for a Reading T-1, I suppose only people who live in Baltimore might have issue
with that.

Maybe a trade would be in order - NKP #759 comes to mind, though that engine did
in fact run in service and in excursion in PA.

/Mitch

Date: 07/23/16 20:04
Author: RuleG

ClubCar Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Now the two questions are, would the B&O R.R.
> Museum be willing to let the 2101 leave (since
> they are not maintaining it right now),

You are probably most capable of answering that question.  Based on your previous posts about the B & O RR Museum, you seem to have as much, if not more, knowledge of what the museum would be willing or not willing to do than anyone else on TO.

> ​John in White Marsh, Maryland

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/16 20:26 by RuleG.

Date: 07/23/16 22:20
Author: burlingtonjohn

I will be attending the AFT Crew Reunion in Portland in September. I'll ask Mr. Rowland. I would not have a problem with the locomotive going to Strasburg only if it is restored in AFT colors.

Regards,
Burlington John

Date: 07/24/16 07:09
Author: OscarManheim

I read on here once that the B&O museum has equipment rusting away.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2516 seconds