Home Open Account Help 354 users online

Steam & Excursion > The Daddy of 'em All!

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/23/16 09:55
The Daddy of 'em All!
Author: wko

This morning was the annual Denver Post Cheyenne Frontier Days passenger train from Denver, CO, to Cheyenne, WY. A lot of us, myself included, didn't think 844 would be on the train as advertised, but lo and behold, it was!

I got off work at 7 AM in south Denver, the same time the train was supposed to depart from the northeast part of town. I headed that way anyways, and was surprised that when I got onto Highway 85, there were people at every crossing, so I hadn't missed it yet! I decided to go to a spot I'd seen just south of Brighton, CO, where I figured there wouldn't be many people (and there weren't!). As I was getting set up, 844 became visible in the distance, so I didn't miss it and didn't have to wait long!

Photo 1 is the train at 132nd Ave south of Brighton.

I thought perhaps I could get ahead of the train while the tracks are away from the Highway at Brighton and Fort Lupton. I thought wrong. As the Highway came back to the tracks, I was almost exactly even with the locomotive, at the power car. And there were 2 idiot pacers in the left lane (I don't mind the ones in the right lane because, well, they're in the right lane!), not allowing anyone to get by. Therefore, I was alongside either the tool car or the power car from Fort Lupton all the way to LaSalle, CO, a distance of roughly 22 miles, going usually right at 55 the whole time. Thankfully, track speed slows down through LaSalle and the highway splits from the tracks again, allowing me to get ahead of them.

Photo 2 is going through Evans, CO, just south of the scheduled service stop at Greeley.

The train actually arrived into Greeley about 5 minutes ahead of their scheduled stop time, allowing me another chance to get ahead of it. I chose a spot we did several years ago, one where there's no crossing, so people wouldn't be tempted to join me and the engineer wouldn't be blowing the whistle. That worked; I was by myself!

Photo 3 is the train blasting out of Eaton, CO. With the roadwork and single-lane highway north of Ault, the next town, this is where I bid the train farewell. It also allowed me to get the southbound manifest that met the CFD special at Ault.

I will be heading out again this afternoon, but thought I'd share these first, then them later. Thanks for looking, hope you enjoyed!
~wko

Date: 07/23/16 10:03
Re: The Daddy of 'em All!
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

VERY nice shots!  Thanks for the on-the-scene report.  You are the very first.
(I agree that her NMars light should be put back on her.)

Nie-looking train!

(Longest ever CFD train?  I dunno.  TIA for any info.)

Date: 07/23/16 10:09

Thanks! Not on-the-scene, as I'm home now, but close! ;)

Margaret_SP_fan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> VERY nice shots!  Thanks for the on-the-scene
> report.  You are the very first.
> (I agree that her Mars light should be put back
> on her.)
>
> Nice-looking train!
>
> (Longest ever CFD train?  I dunno.  TIA for any
> info.)

22 cars this year, is par for the course. There has been 23-24 before, I think the souvenier car is missing, making it shorter.
~wko

Date: 07/23/16 10:37
Author: bankshotone

Look! Ed is only hanging out of the window in one picture!

I would have to agree with another poster, Ed's hair is alot whiter now.

Date: 07/23/16 11:56
Author: callum_out

It's going around, they just interviewed Jeff Gordon before qualifying and his sideburns are turning grey
and he doesn't even have a steam engine to look after!

Out

Date: 07/23/16 11:57
Author: Superstock

> PS: I have this to say if anyone official from UP
> reads this (or should I say "when"): PUT THE MARS
> LIGHT BACK ON!!!!! It looks downright awful
> without it.

I agree.  Please put the MARS Light back on.  It has been on the front of the engine nearly since it was new.  

If you want it too look like era 1944 (as shown in the photo leaving the ALCO factory in December 1944), then go all the way, by removing the wind wings, fancy chrome nuts on the boiler, and whitewall tires on the wheels.  Otherwise put the MARS light back on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/16 12:13 by Superstock.

Date: 07/23/16 12:35
Author: dcoursey

Man oh man, railfans truly are a piece of work. They gripe and bitch for YEARS about 844 being out of commission. Now that she's back and running, they've immediately moved on to griping and bitching about a damn MARS LIGHT? Are you kidding me? Who cares? She looks just fine without it! 

Date: 07/23/16 12:51
Author: donstrack

wko Wrote:
> PS: I have this to say if anyone official from UP
> without it.

I was told that the Mars light was not working properly, and no parts are available to repair it. FRA rules are that if any safety device in installed, it must operate. Therefore, the Mars light was removed.

Don Strack

Date: 07/23/16 12:51
Author: Btrain

MARS LIGHT!!!! BLAAHHHHHHH!!!! My life is a pile of very warm refuse with out MY train looking the WAY it should! BAAAAAAAaaaaa!!!!!!

Date: 07/23/16 12:53
Author: dcoursey

I am a railfan myself, I love the UP 844 and am happy as can be to see her in steam again....Mars Light or no Mars Light, I'll take her as she is. She was out of service for so long, and before a month or so ago, most everyone thought we'd NEVER see her run again. But here she is running the CFD train. Why can't we just be thankful for what we have now, instead of immediately moving on to bitching about minor aesthetic details?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/16 12:55 by dcoursey.

Date: 07/23/16 12:55

Dude, we are thankful, what's your point?

Out

Date: 07/23/16 12:56
Author: wpjones

I also agree the HISTORICAL mars light needs to go back on. The bald spot reminds me of something else, OH YEA the 951,949 with no nose door.
Just doesn't look right. And sure isn't Historical.
Steve

wko Wrote:
> PS: I have this to say if anyone official from UP
> without it.

Date: 07/23/16 12:59
Author: Realist

donstrack Wrote:
> wko Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > PS: I have this to say if anyone official from
> UP
> > reads this (or should I say "when"): PUT THE
> MARS
> > LIGHT BACK ON!!!!! It looks downright awful
> > without it.
>
> I was told that the Mars light was not working
> properly, and no parts are available to repair it.
> FRA rules are that if any safety device in
> installed, it must operate. Therefore, the Mars
> light was removed.
>
> Don Strack

No.  It worked fine until they fixed it.  Then it didn't
work at all.  They used the excuse that it was about
to fall off and had been neglected.

There are parts in the 814, 833 and 838 anyway .

Date: 07/23/16 13:02
Author: Tominde

Nice job getting out there and quickly getting them up.  Good shots.  Glad to see they are making the trip.  And I don't care about Mars light one way or the other.  Just keep her out on the road.  

Date: 07/23/16 13:14

Tominde Wrote:
> Nice job getting out there and quickly getting
> them up.  Good shots.  Glad to see they are
> making the trip.  And I don't care about Mars
> light one way or the other.  Just keep her out on
> the road.  
>
>  

Thanks, Tom! Glad to be able to be out there shooting such a wonderful train, and sharing for those who couldn't. This really is a big deal!
~wko

Posted from Android

Date: 07/23/16 13:25
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Just watched a video of her leaving Greeley this morning,
and, man, is she ever SQUARE!!!  Like a metronome!
Square as a die!!  Dunno who set her valves, but they sure
did a superb job!  wow.....

Date: 07/23/16 13:29
Author: jo-tower

The water tank would look better if was painted black to match the engine.
CJV in Illinois

Date: 07/23/16 13:32
Author: holiwood

at least people are not complaining about a mixmatched consist like 611 earlier this year

hollywood
NS B Line MP 74

Date: 07/23/16 13:47

You look at those UP cars in a couple of the videos and they look have an "auto show" quality finish,
you have to give the railroad credit for the condition of that equipment.

Out

Date: 07/23/16 13:48
Author: HotWater

Margaret_SP_fan Wrote:
> Just watched a video of her leaving Greeley this
> morning,
> and, man, is she ever SQUARE!!!  Like a
> metronome!
> Square as a die!!  Dunno who set her valves, but
> they sure
> did a superb job!  wow.....

Probably nobody set the valves, as they shouldn't have had to, i.e. nothing was done to them. Good old 844 was always pretty damned "square" and sharp, well as sharp as exhausts from those twin nozzles could be. Find that video/DVD of 844 pushing on the rearend of that stalled manifest train, westbound ascending Archer Hill. Nice slow speed, fully wide open throttle, pushing on the rear of that 10,000+ ton train.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0826 seconds