Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Steam & Excursion > UP 844 A time for gratitude

Date: 07/24/16 08:27
UP 844 A time for gratitude
Author: co614

IMHO we steam lovers all need to be grateful that the 844's return to service trip yesterday went well and that despite the severe misgivings of some very knowledgeable posters on here on how some of the work on her was performed at least for the inaugural trip she seemed to do fine. The real test will of course be to see if she holds up well if given an active schedule and not just a one off trip here and there. At least this first " toe in the water" chapter went well and hopefully gave the decision makers in Omaha reason to continue the program?? 

I see from a number of pictures posted from yesterday's excursion what appears to be steam exhaust under the engineers seat so perhaps he has learned from sad experience that frequent blow downs are a boilers best friend? For 844's boilers sake let's hope so. 

And although she was put through an unduly long (and in many cases unecessary) drill to get her back under steam let's celebrate the fact that Omaha didn't run out of patience and yesterday went well.

Ross Rowland

Date: 07/24/16 08:35
Re: UP 844 A time for gratitude
Author: Grande473

Glad to see the engine is back. Hopefully it stays active.

Date: 07/24/16 08:49
Author: Bob3985

Hey Ross. My exact sentiments as well. Glad toi see the ole gal back on the high iron. I had no doubt that it would run again. Was just a matter of time. I enjouyed all my years on it and 3985. Hopefully they will get a few trips in while they are working on 4014. I think Scott will see that 844 is out occasionally.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/24/16 09:13
Author: cchan006

co614 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>    And although she was put through an unduly
> long (and in many cases unecessary) drill to get
> her back under steam let's celebrate the fact that
> Omaha didn't run out of patience and yesterday
> went well.
>
>    Ross Rowland

Yeah, I can celebrate that. Thanks for stating the situation eloquently.

Not every organization has leaders who know how to serve the best interests of the organization unsupervised. I'm not sure if someone will say it, so I'll say that now. UP Steam Director J. Scott George has deliberately avoided the limelight, and my thanks go to him especially for that.

Date: 07/24/16 09:16
Author: holiwood

Glad 844 had a good trip and UP still supports the steam program

Date: 07/24/16 13:46
Author: upheritage6

It did really well
It put in a lot of work

Posted from Android

Date: 07/24/16 16:36
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

I, too, am very grateful that a went well smoothly.
I thank all who made this happen.  Thanks, UP,
for keeping the flame alive.   You made a lot of
people very happy, and gave them wonderful
memories they will never forget.  Thank you.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/16 21:15 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 07/24/16 20:28
Author: Jbarton

A sincere note of thanks as well to U.P. for a wonderful CFD train.  It looked great and was a lot of fun to photograph.

Thanks again.

Jim Barton

Date: 07/24/16 21:17
Author: Spikes

As i said before, thanks to the past and present steam crews for all their fine efforts!

Date: 07/24/16 21:25
Author: victortorgrimson

Very well said!

Whatever mistakes may have been made, we are all very fortunate that Union Pacific puts the resources into the steam program that they do!  This was a good day for UP Steam, and lets hope there will be many more!

Victor

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0385 seconds