Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Steam & Excursion > What if? 844 etc.

Date: 07/25/16 06:48
What if? 844 etc.
Author: MP4093

The only time any locomotive looked "as delivered" was at delivery. Locomotives are tools, modified as needed by the owners to perform the job required. Sometimes to the point of being like my grandpa's ax. It has had 3 new handles and a new head, but it's my grandpa's original ax. By the same token, any modification made by the owner is prototype, whether you like it or not. As example the gaudy bumblebee scheme on the narrow guage that fans hated decades ago is considered accurate and prototype because it actually ran that way, like it or not. The loss of the Mars light on 844 is just the latest in a long list of things changed on this "tool" used by UP. It's current appearance is correct for now. Love it or leave it.

Posted from Android

Date: 07/25/16 06:54
Re: What if? 844 etc.
Author: drh1est

Excellent!

Date: 07/25/16 08:46
Author: g-spotter

Exactly! This is called perspective.  While 844 has never been retired, its job and appearance have changed over time.  Gone are the glory days of 844 and its purpose designed forms--just an ambassador now.

Date: 07/25/16 10:22
Author: Realist

Agreed. They should even bring back the wooden box over the headlight.

Date: 07/25/16 12:09
Author: A-1

Realist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Agreed. They should even bring back the wooden box
> over the headlight.

I agree, the box is pretty sharp looking. As far as losing the wind wings, I don't like that or losing the Mars light. They made her distinctive looking. Lose that and the casual observer probably won't tell or care if they're looking at 3751, 844, 700, 765 or 1225. Same concept goes for the high mounted, old style headlight on OR&N 197. I personally prefer it as UP 3203, but as such where it lives, it would look too much like a miniature 700.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.036 seconds