Home Open Account Help 250 users online

Steam & Excursion > With All The Sights In This City Look Who Gathers The Most Crowd!

Date: 07/27/16 03:38
With All The Sights In This City Look Who Gathers The Most Crowd!
Author: LoggerHogger

The attraction of steam motive power goes back decades even into the era that steam locomotives were common.  This photo proves that.

The date is a sunny May 27, 1951 in the City of San Francisco.  Even though steam power is commonly used throughout the Golden State, the little 2-4-0 and her 2-car passenger train is causing quite a stir down by the Ferry Building.

The citizens of this fine city have come down to take a ride behind the wood burning relic from the Virginia & Truckee.  She is former V&T #2, the J.W. Bowker.  She was rescued more than a decade earlier from her last owner, the Hobart Mills Lumber Company of Hobart Mills, California.  She now is owned by the Pacific Coast Chapter of the NRHS.

#21 is proof positive that steam draws a crowd where ever it is located.

Martin

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/16 03:47 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 07/27/16 10:35
Re: With All The Sights In This City Look Who Gathers The Most Cr
Author: spdaylight

Anonther great photo from what must be a massive collection Martin.  What makes this photo even more interesting is the wide variety of autos from this period.  

Craig
http://www.mcmrailvideos.com/

Date: 07/31/16 08:09
Author: KeyRouteKen

Hey Martin--  Great photo.  I wonder if this was the same operation that also ran a couple of blocks up Market Street ??
And, as to ownershp, I think the Bowker is owned now by CSRM.

KRK

Date: 07/31/16 09:11
Author: KeyRouteKen

UPDATE:    On June 23, 1953 with an ancient WP Combo the BOWKER steamed up Market Street from the Ferry Building to First Street to gain publicity for the "Argonaut Bay Project" ...

The BOWKER had been in front of the Ferry Building before on the trackage of the State Belt Railroad.
January 10-28, 1938 when the Pacific Coast Chapter, R&LHS put on a huge railroad show in the vacant Western Pacific railroad waiting room at the Ferry Building. Somne 10000 people went thru the exhibit and show and thousands more inspected the recently restored BOWKER.
KRK

KeyRouteKen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Martin--  Great photo.  I wonder if this was
> the same operation that also ran a couple of
> blocks up Market Street ??
> And, as to ownershp, I think the Bowker is owned
> now by CSRM.
>
> KRK

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0346 seconds