Home Open Account Help 366 users online

Steam & Excursion > Two Fords And A Blowdown

Date: 08/24/16 19:11
Two Fords And A Blowdown
Author: walstib

My meandering summer tour rolled into Michigan this week, and I have a couple of steam-related tales to pass along.

My first stop in Michigan was at the Gerald Ford Presidential Library in Ann Arbor, where I was pleased to find American Freedom Train artifacts on display. Unlike other presidents who have a museum and library in one location, Ford is split between Ann Arbor and Grand Rapids. His museum and grave are in Grand Rapids, while the library, where his papers are housed, is in Ann Arbor. They also have a selection of stuff on display in the Ann Arbor library.

Among the AFT items are a ticket from Tacoma, and some sort of wine or liquor bottle featuring the 4449.

Next stop was Dearborn, to see the Henry Ford Museum, Rogue factory tour, and Greenfield Village. The factory tour was great, I'm visiting the museum tomorrow, and this afternoon I visited Greenfield Village.

The village was great, and I enjoyed checking out the railroad with three operating steam locomotives. It was a nice day and I ended up riding the train loop three or four times.

There is one spot on the loop where they do a blowdown on the locomotive. All I could do was laugh when the announcer explained they were doing a blowdown, and then went on to explain in some detail the importance of doing regular blowdowns on steam locomotives. I was thinking perhaps we could take up a collection here on the steam board to buy a Greenfield Village ticket for UP's Ed Dickens, so he could learn about the importance of regular blowdowns.

Date: 08/24/16 20:46
Re: Two Fords And A Blowdown
Author: MAP1024

THANK YOU for posting the ticket of the AFT from Tacoma, WA!

I have been searching for this for years. One of my earliest memories as a child was being taken by our neighbor in Lakewood, WA down to Tacoma Union Station to see the Freedom Train. I remember it was grey, raining, and I the huge lobby of TUS was crowded with people.

I have still never seen a photo of that day's train.. and I could not remember if it was 1975 or 1976, but now you've given me the date. Nov 9, 1975!!!
I was 4 years and 1 month old!!!!

WOW!
MAPAZ in Arizona.

Date: 08/26/16 06:28
Re: Two Fords And A Blowdown
Author: filmteknik

Ah, the engine once displayed as a Mason 4-4-0 (LS&MS) until it was revealed to most likely be a fake created by Ford engineers from Edison Portland Cement 0-4-0 #1.  See TRAINS October 1974.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0486 seconds