Home Open Account Help 403 users online

Steam & Excursion > Yreka Western 19 Goes Up For Sale...Again

Date: 09/18/16 09:42
Yreka Western 19 Goes Up For Sale...Again
Author: YWRR19

The paperwork has been filed with the Siskiyou County Sheriff's Office and the official date for the Sheriff's sale of Yreka Western 19 is set for Oct. 6, 2016. Inspections at 0900, and sale set to begin at 1000 at the Yreka Western shop in Yreka, CA. This was supposed to happen almost 3 years ago to the date, until the former owner filed bogus appeals in the Siskiyou County Court. This is a very unfortunate piece of news, as the 19 has been on the YW for the majority of her career. This was the first steam locomotive I ever rode behind as a child, and the first I ever worked with when I became of age to volunteer. I was just in the process of learning how to fire, before we put her in the shop for the last time after the PLA excursion on Nov. 1, 2008. It's been an extremely long wait, in hopes to see what the future holds for this locomotive. I'm torn because part of me would love to see the 19 go to a good home, be taken care of, and run. The other part has my heartstrings strained because of my deep connection and history with this locomotive. I would have never guessed 90 tons of steel would make someone so emotional. I plan to be there for the sale, and I am hoping for the best. We will see what happens.

1) My good friend Tim Stricker (sp4294) and myself in the cab of the 19.

2) 19 at dawn just outside of Montague, CA for the Balloon Fair.

Matt Starman
Greenleaf, ID

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/18/16 09:47 by YWRR19.

Date: 09/18/16 10:38
Re: Yreka Western 19 Goes Up For Sale...Again
Author: atsf121

Love the hot air ballon pic. Fingers crossed for a good owner to step forward.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/18/16 10:55
Author: Frisco1522

Hope it goes to a good home.

Date: 09/18/16 10:58
Author: callum_out

Matt, I thought the court had given possession for work done to a boiler company, any idea what
happened there?

Out

Date: 09/18/16 14:14
Author: dan

maybe they get some of the proceeds, is it ready and certified?

Date: 09/18/16 16:02
Author: YWRR19

callum_out Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Matt, I thought the court had given possession for
> work done to a boiler company, any idea what
> happened there?
>
> Out

Yes full ownership was granted to Joan Nickerson of Chelatchie Boiler Works. In order to get her money back that she was owed for the boiler work, she has elected to do a sheriff's sale of the 19.

Posted from Android

Matt Starman
Greenleaf, ID

Date: 09/18/16 16:26
Author: LoggerHogger

Let me correct this.  Ownership of #19 is still with the YW railroad.  Joan has a lien on the engine.  I put that lien on the engine for her several years ago.

The courts have confrimed that this lien is valid.  Joan is foreclosing on her lien by having the Siskiyou County Sheriff hold a sale to foreclose the lien.

Joan did not "elect" to have a Sheriff sale.  The only way for a lien holder to foreclose a lien is to have the Sheriff conduct a sale.

The buyer of at the sale will then own Joans lien position on the engine. 

Joan can bid in up to her lien amount if she wishes as she has credit for that or she could go even higher by adding cash.

That is how this lien foreclosure process works.  Here is the sale notice.

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/16 07:34 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/18/16 18:55

Martin, thanks for the clarification, it was beginning to sound like NBC could bid for the soap opera rights.

Out

Date: 09/18/16 19:41
Author: SierraRail

So, why not be honest with folks Mr. Hansen and disclose the Dollar amount of the Lein??

Date: 09/18/16 20:47
Author: McCloud25

SierraRail:
I find your post a little confusing. Martin has done nothing to be dishonest in his reply. He only explained how a sheriff's sale works. As for him representing a business owner who wants to be paid for the work they did; that is unfortunately quite normal. I didn't see any request asking the lien amount. It is a matter of public record and anyone can access that information. So, can you explain your remark? It seems I am missing something.

Brandon

Date: 09/18/16 21:04
Author: Hillcrest

SierraRail Wrote:
> So, why not be honest with folks Mr. Hansen and
> disclose the Dollar amount of the Lein??

Not defending either position here, but what difference does that make?

Cheers, Dave

Date: 09/18/16 23:07
Author: scwillis

I keep hearing JJ Jacobson intends to sequester his favorite movie engine (Emperor of the North) in Sugarcreek. Must be nice to have a $300 million vacuume cleaner. Come on Mega Millions.

Date: 09/19/16 08:55

At least it would be saved, in good hands, and rebuilt. G&W needs to buy the trackage up to TP and serve
the local industries.

Out

Date: 09/19/16 10:14
Author: mt19a

SierraRail Wrote:
> So, why not be honest with folks Mr. Hansen and
> disclose the Dollar amount of the Lein??

Ummm.....Isn't the amount listed as $264,561.59 for the amount of the lein?

Date: 09/19/16 12:11
Author: NKPBernet

McCloud25 Wrote:
> SierraRail:
> I find your post a little confusing. Martin has
> done nothing to be dishonest in his reply. He only
> explained how a sheriff's sale works. As for him
> representing a business owner who wants to be paid
> for the work they did; that is unfortunately quite
> normal.

Brandon,

I agree with you here, though no matter how good the person behind the profession (LoggeHogger) is, there does seem to be a mistrust of lawyers, and that is why SierraRail asked what he did, I suspect. There always could be more to the story as well, who knows, not my business anyways.

-Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/16 12:55 by dbesade.

Date: 09/19/16 20:46
Author: elueck

Part of being a lawyer, or a consultant or what ever involves confidential information between you and your client.  Please bear in mind that Martin may only reveal what is either public information or information that is not deemed confidential between him and his client.    In this case, the amount of lien is revealed in the court notice, and thus is public information.   This is not the only forum where I have seen readers and contributors become upset with consultants, employees, and lawyers who are unable to reveal certain information.  It is important for us readers to remember that lawyers and consultants build their reputations on their ability to both perform their job in in professional manner, and to keep confidential information entrusted to them absolutely confidential.  

Date: 09/20/16 08:24
Author: MaryMcPherson

mt19a Wrote:
> SierraRail Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > So, why not be honest with folks Mr. Hansen and
> > disclose the Dollar amount of the Lein??
>
> Ummm.....Isn't the amount listed as $264,561.59
> for the amount of the lein?

As it's listed on the paperwork scanned and posted?  Hiding in plain sight, I guess.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 09/20/16 09:50
Author: CPRR

So if I bid $300,000, and win (haha), then the lein is paid to the boilerworks, and the rest goes to the county?

Date: 09/20/16 11:14
Author: LoggerHogger

CPRR Wrote:
> So if I bid $300,000, and win (haha), then the
> lein is paid to the boilerworks, and the rest goes
> to the county?

Not to the County.  Any money paid over the lien goes to the owner of the locomotive.

Martin

Date: 09/20/16 13:37
Author: CPRR

Thanks Martin. Just out of curiosity what would the entire line go for? Estimates of course

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/16 13:41 by CPRR.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0966 seconds