Home Open Account Help 277 users online

Steam & Excursion > AFT's 40th, Family Fotos- 6

Date: 09/21/16 10:14
AFT's 40th, Family Fotos- 6
Author: BoilingMan

Continued...

Photo 22.  Steam is Steam!
Photo 23.  Down in the Engine Room.  5 Chime- check it out!
Photo 24.  Oiling around in the engine room.  The action here is less frantic than a locomotive, but no less mesmerizing.

Photo 25.  Amtrak #11 crossing behind us- I guess we stabbed them.  Oops.  (Ha!  For 32yrs I was on the receiving end of this)

More tomorrow.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/16 10:17 by BoilingMan.

Date: 09/21/16 10:14
Re: AFT's 40th, Family Fotos- 6

Date: 09/21/16 14:12
Author: WestinAshahr

And this happy group made it down to the fire room!

Date: 09/21/16 15:12
Author: co614

Thanks to Boilingman for all the great pictures. Sure was a special event and great to be with so many dedicated friends. Laurie McCormack deserves special thanks/recognition for organizing the events and doing such a great job herding this bunch of cats !!!  

Ross Rowland

Date: 09/21/16 15:22

Yes, 2016 will be hard to top! 
Good to see you again!
SR

BTW: saw Karen off  #11 @ Sacramento- got her pointed in the right direction.

Date: 09/21/16 16:27
Author: nycman

SR, thanks for your great coverage of what must have been a very enjoyable reunion, FORTY years.  Trivia question, did Ross ever get to pull the throttle on 4449?

Date: 09/21/16 16:48

Oh he must have, that wouldn't have been a big deal. Doyle ran the 2101 a few times on the East Coast when both Ross & Steve were unavailable (heck, AFT engineer was his job title- who you gonna call?!)
SR

Date: 09/21/16 16:52
Author: HotWater

nycman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>  Trivia question, did Ross ever get to pull the
> throttle on 4449?

Probably not. I'll never forget the quote from Ross in Railfan and Railroad magazine; "Coal burning steam locomotives are MUCH louder that oil burners!". That has stuck in my craw for some 40 years!

Date: 09/21/16 18:32
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

That reunion sounded like one of those once-in-a-lifetime
events.  I loved it that so many of the people who were key
in the AFT were able to be there -- except Hotwater.  Big
bummer, that.

BoilingMan --
Thank you very, very much for all those wonderful photos.
Saw some folks I have not seen for years.

Ross, sir --
Did you run the 4449 this past weekend?  Have you ever
run her?  If so, what do you think of her performance?  TIA!

I wish I could have been the proverbial "bug on the wall"
up there in Portland.  Well done, Laurie McCormack and
everyone who made that wonderful reunion happen!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/16 18:36 by Margaret_SP_fan.

Date: 09/21/16 19:41

Okay
Okay
So I just Emailed Ross- he says he ran the '49 twice during the AFT Tour. It was okay, and he gets the logistics headache created if he tried to run coal on an endevor like the AFT- but the man loves his coal fire...
SR

No, he didn't run last Friday- it was only 3.5 miles!

Date: 09/21/16 19:42
Author: co614

Laurie MacCormack deserves tons of credit as she did a superb job organizing and executing a great event. She gets an A plus for herding us cats and keeping everyone and everything on schedule. As near perfect as a human event gets.

Yes, I was honored to have run the Daylight a little during the AFT journey and admire the job Doyle and his team have done since they freed it from Oaks Park in 1974 to this day. She's a magnificent locomotive that has been treated like the Queen she is.

Yes, it's true that I strongly prefer non streamlined coal fired locomotives as that's what I grew up with and where my heart is. I like all the pipes and parts showing as to me they add to the majesty of the symphony of everything working in harmony to produce all that power. I delight in getting an occasional hot cinder on the right cheek at 80 mph as it's a reminder of where all that horsepower is coming from.

Thanks again to Boilingman for all the great pics.

Onward and upward.   Ross Rowland

Date: 09/21/16 20:35
Author: asheldrake

What a great weekend!!!......the hosts went home sunday night exhausted but very pleased....this non-AFTer was proud to meet you giants of preservation.    Arlen

Date: 09/21/16 20:50
Author: Copy19

I must say thank you to all you folks who brought the 4449 to life.   When I saw it come through Reno back in 1975? eastbound it was the first time I had seen mainline steam since 1955.   I never dreamed I would see big steam it again.   Wow.   The American Freedom Train was something to behold.  I was 33 years old, old enough to remember cab forwards  and Santa Fe  3800s and UP steam helpers in Cajon and yes, red, orange and black GS "Daylights" steaming along Valley Boulevard in the the Southland.  Seeing all you guys celebrating makes me more appreciative than ever for what you achieved. 
John Bromley

Date: 09/21/16 20:58
Author: flash34

The names of some of the more recent '49 crew members in the fire room picture are: L to R-- Tim Thompson, the wife of one of the guys (I think Mrs. Pohlpeter?), Joe Strasburg, John Pohlpeter, Mike Warren, Mark Kramer and Bill Habjan.

Date: 09/21/16 23:56
Author: SP4360

Warm water usually helps with a clogged craw :)

HotWater Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> nycman Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> >  Trivia question, did Ross ever get to pull
> the
> > throttle on 4449?
>
> Probably not. I'll never forget the quote from
> Ross in Railfan and Railroad magazine; "Coal
> burning steam locomotives are MUCH louder that oil
> burners!". That has stuck in my craw for some 40
> years!

Date: 09/22/16 17:00

Are you prescribing a craw enema?  Oh my- those are very uncomfortable.
SR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0704 seconds