Home Open Account Help 210 users online

Steam & Excursion > When It Came For The Need For Sand This Engine Had It Covered!

Date: 09/23/16 03:09
When It Came For The Need For Sand This Engine Had It Covered!
Author: LoggerHogger

A while back we covered a Great Northern Engine that had what appeared to be some of the largest sand boxes on it's front pilot deck of any that we had seen.  Well, here is one that may even top that!

Seen here is another GN mallet, this time a 2-6-6-2 stopped at Evertt, Washington in about 1910.  She not only sports the factory installed huge sand domes for the front and rear engine set, she also has two barrel-type sand bins added to the front pilot deck. 

We can only imagine how many cubic yards of sand this beast carried when all of these were full!

Martin

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/16 03:13 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 09/23/16 08:42
Re: When It Came For The Need For Sand This Engine Had It Covered
Author: PHall

Martin, take a look at the sand pipe coming off the forward sand dome. It goes to the rear of the forward engine, i.e. for reverse moves.
The sand bins on the pilot seem to handle the needs of the foward engine when going forwards. 

Date: 09/23/16 08:47
Author: LoggerHogger

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Martin, take a look at the sand pipe coming off
> the forward sand dome. It goes to the rear of the
> forward engine, i.e. for reverse moves.
> The sand bins on the pilot seem to handle the
> needs of the foward engine when going forwards. 

I saw that.  You can see on the front dome that the sand pipes used to go to the front and back of the lead engine but the front pipe now has been removed as a result of the insatllation of the cannisters on the pilot.  The rear dome still has 2 pipes for front and rear sand application.

Martin

Date: 09/23/16 11:29
Author: LarryDoyle

I'd bet that if the sanders were used for any length of time, they would use up the air and the brakes would set.

Date: 09/23/16 16:01
Author: PHall

LarryDoyle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'd bet that if the sanders were used for any
> length of time, they would use up the air and the
> brakes would set.

I thought that air was only used to open and close the sander valves and that gravity handled the delivery part.

Date: 09/23/16 20:43
Author: LarryDoyle

Sanders may be either gravity fed or pneumatic.

In either case, gravity causes sand to fall thru the nearly vertical pipe out the bottom ot the sandbox, and for this reason sand must be kept dry so it does not cake or clump.

If strictly gravity fed, shutting the sand off is accomplished with a mechanical valve which simply blocks the pipe with a gate or lever.

If pneumatic, gravity feeds sand into an inverted "U", with an air jet at the bottom to blow the sand out of the "U" and then down toward the drive wheels.  See drawing below.

-John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/16 20:45 by LarryDoyle.

Date: 09/24/16 10:41
Author: callum_out

And if the sand clogs to the right of the nozzle in the illustration you go to Plan "B", which
involves that big plug! Air or not you can quickly realize how important it was to keep the
sand dry, to a consistent size and checked prior to departure.

Out

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0466 seconds