Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Steam & Excursion > A Whistling We Will Go....

Date: 09/23/16 08:00
A Whistling We Will Go....
Author: bert14

Riding aboard The Cass Scenic RR up to meet The D&GVR Salamander, and on to Elkins, WV. late August.
Gotta just love the whistles.....

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 09/23/16 08:25
Re: A Whistling We Will Go....
Author: elueck

Good to see shay #2 back in service.

Date: 09/24/16 17:13
Author: Shay43189

Some people say they blow the whistle too much at Cass,  I disagree. Especially when it comes to that Southern bootleg hooter on #2!

Date: 09/25/16 09:48
Author: NKPBernet

Shay43189 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Some people say they blow the whistle too much at
> Cass,  I disagree. Especially when it comes to
> that Southern bootleg hooter on #2!

Yes because both locomotives on the double header have to blow their whistle for the crossing. All due respect, at what point does it become "too much"?

-Dave

Date: 09/26/16 05:40
Author: Hoggers-Son

" too much?" Naaa. Not as long as some in my generation recall our childhood at the sound of these distinctive whistles. It is music to my ears. It is my dad telling me hi....
Tom
Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/16 15:13 by Hoggers-Son.

Date: 09/26/16 07:11
Author: fehorse1

That is music to my ears!  Overdone - perhaps, but where else can we hear it on a regular basis?

Pete

Date: 09/26/16 16:57
Author: Thumper

Was last at Cass just after the mill shut down and before the local fire bugs burned the place (as much as the station which has been replaced, how many times thanks to firebugs?).
The area seems to enjoy fire, for the sake seeing things burn, ie the locomotive shop.

The whistles are old reliable methods of communicating, between locomotives and trains. The whistles "are" different, and sound different depending who is pulling that cord and
how much experience said whistle puller has.  Well remember young "Arty" operating the whistle back then, a deft hand could produce all forms of interesting audio treats.

That was then for Cass; the entire scene has changed, some would say for the better, some would say the other way.Bottom line, it has been preserved and for that alone, be thankful.

Shall probably never venture there again however enjoy these activities while you are able; we change, the world changes, and then, there is nothing.

Date: 09/27/16 03:16
Author: dan

cool look

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.053 seconds