Home Open Account Help 384 users online

Steam & Excursion > Rich Melvin retires from running 765

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/28/16 18:47
Rich Melvin retires from running 765
Author: Finderskeepers

Found in my Facebook feed that longtime 765 engineer has retired from running her after 30 years. I wish you a happy retirement Rich, you inspired me to become an engineer myself.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/28/16 18:51
Re: Rich Melvin retires from running 765
Author: Finderskeepers

This was posted on the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society page
"On September 25th, one of our engineers made his last run. Surrounded by his family and with his grandsons riding in the cab, Richard Melvin closed the curtain on 30 years of operating no. 765. Rich was involved in nearly every movement the 765 made in the last three decades and has helped establish an operating department and qualify new engineers in the process."

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/28/16 20:00
Author: patd3985

Congrats Rich!.. "Kick 'em in the clear and tie up!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/16 20:00 by patd3985.

Date: 09/28/16 20:40
Author: CPRR

Congratulations Rich. I hope that in your retirement you can spend time with family. I always enjoy reading your posts here on TO.

Highball

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/28/16 21:49
Author: krm152

To Mr. Richard Melvin, my congratulations for completing a thirty year career as engineer of #765, quite an accomplishment; also my best wishes for a well deserved, long, happy retirement.

Evidently #765 did not operate too many years before Mr. Melvin joined the team. I have some slides of #765 running during 1982. I believe this may have been its first season of operation.

ALLEN

Date: 09/29/16 04:55
Author: dpudave

Happy retirement. I hope you keep posting here. I believe one may call you Mr now. d

Date: 09/29/16 08:03
Author: callum_out

So is he going to continue running 767? Actually someone should grab him and not let him retire until he
has found a suitable successor! Man has done a hell of a job with 765, deserves to retire but nature abhors
a vacuum!!

Out

Date: 09/29/16 08:09
Author: nathansixchime

All the answers lie in the second post of this thread, which copied the statement posted elsewhere:

Finderskeepers Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This was posted on the Fort Wayne Railroad
> Historical Society page
> "On September 25th, one of our engineers made his
> last run
...Rich was involved in nearly every movement the 765 made
> in the last three decades and has helped establish
> an operating department and qualify new engineers
> in the process."

The 765 has maintained a roster of qualified engineers for several years, including two in their early 30s and another in their 40s.

Date: 09/29/16 09:13
Author: mdogg

nathansixchime Wrote:
> All the answers lie in the second post of this
> thread, which copied the statement posted
> elsewhere:
>
> Finderskeepers Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > This was posted on the Fort Wayne Railroad
> > Historical Society page
> > "On September 25th, one of our engineers made
> his
> > last run...Rich was involved in nearly every
> movement the 765 made
> > in the last three decades and has helped
> establish
> > an operating department and qualify new
> engineers
> > in the process."
>
> The 765 has maintained a roster of qualified
> engineers for several years, including two in
> their early 30s and another in their 40s.

This is even more proof of what an extremely well-run group the FWRHS is.  Congratulations Rich and huge thank-you for all that you've done!  It is not surprising that you have done a great job in helping to prepare the FWRHS for this change.

Date: 09/29/16 09:49
Author: NKP779

No doubt that Rich is a first-rate engineer.  He has been blessed with "the touch" whether it is with the 765, aircraft or even diesel locomotives.  But with two separate multi-year stints as president of the FWRHS, long time board member and officer in various positions, I have always thought his greatest value to the organization is his ability to relate to railroad operating officials.  As a former railroad official himself, he understands what they are looking for, what their concerns are, and what they expect to see in all aspects of our operations.  The advance scouting and mapping usually occur six months or more before ANYTHING moves.  His written operating plans are works of art that gives reassurance to the railroad that we know what we are doing and have all of the bases covered.  And he is no slouch with a spreadsheet, either.  Those parts of the equation might sound pretty boring, but they are critical to making things happen successfully.  

I will never foget the 2015 incident at Lafayette where he guided a blind boy around the 765 to feel the drivers, rods and coupler.

Date: 09/29/16 12:53
Author: Rich_Melvin

My thanks to all of you who have posted in this thread.

When I made my final station stop in Akron, a LONG, 30-second whistle blast echoed through the valley. There were three hands on that whistle lever, mine and my two grandsons, ages 12 and 14! It is a moment I will never forget.

When I got off the engine in Akron at the end of my last trip, the first person I shook hands with on the ground was a 30-something young man who is in training to become a 765 engineer...the oldest and the youngest meeting, so to speak.

It's our "Succession Plan" in action. There are several young men in the FWRHS Operating Department ready to step forward and fill my shoes. The mark of a truly good team is that no one is indispensable, and that's the case here. I think we have developed our Operating Department staff well enough so that my departure will be a very seamless transition. I may still be involved in some of the planning for 2017.

For now, I'm going to do as patd3985 said above, "Kick 'em in the clear and tie up!"  Then we'll go to beans.  ;-)

The Lovely and Gracious Linda and I will be traveling in this for the next few years. It's much quieter and cleaner than the 765!

Rich Melvin
Columbus, OH
My Web Site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/16 12:54 by Rich_Melvin.

Date: 09/29/16 14:16
Author: CR6079

Congrats on retirement Rich have enjoyed watching and riding behind 765 many times... But one thing, why no Nickle Plate on the side of that thing. Best wishes,Mike

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/29/16 15:34
Author: nycman

The very best to you in retirement Rich.  We have never met, but you have been an internet friend for a long time, encouraging me when I became a "born again" steam fan at the tender age of 57.  If you ever head for the Oregon coast in that great looking machine, let me know, and we will welcome and entertain you.   I treasure many of your Hopewell Production videos, and some that those other guys produced of you running and narrating the New River Train, which my wife and I also rode back in 1993.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/16 19:48 by nycman.

Date: 09/29/16 15:50
Author: raydrs

Congratulations! Many blessings to you and yours on your road trip! Thank you for all you have done for the RR community.

Date: 09/29/16 18:50
Author: MaryMcPherson

Just remember, we can always pull a copy of "Runnin' That New River Train" off the shelf and climb aboard for a ride with Rich through the New River Gorge.  Highball, and "felt that one comin'........."

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 09/29/16 18:56
Author: Rich_Melvin

Thanks, Mary.

At the risk being accused of some shameless self-promotion, you can still buy DVDs of "Runnin' That New River Train" from OGR Publishing.

The engineer in the video bears a slight resemblance to me. It was shot way back in 1991, when I was young...and skinny!

Rich Melvin
Columbus, OH
My Web Site

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/29/16 18:56 by Rich_Melvin.

Date: 09/29/16 19:39
Author: jderoo

Happy retirement Rich. Thanks for all you have done for steam preservation.

John DeRoo

Posted from Android

Date: 09/29/16 20:08
Author: nycstl

Rich is been a very interesting 25 years that I've been on the 765 crew. We have done some very amazing things, many of which people said that couldn't be done. From the late nights (or should I say very early mornings on the New River George trips, to Jeff, Mark and I pretending to wiping down your van trackside while smoking cigars as you where running the 2716 and trying to make a good impression to the railroad officials. To the 75 miles per hour deadhead trip from Detroit to Akron ohio with the 2765. Your a great guy and I have learned a lot from you and I want to thank you. My dad always thought of you as a good friend and so do I. I know you will have some great times in the Melvin Command Center, but I bet nothing will ever compare to the feel of having your hand on the throttle of that 4000 hp berk at speed pulling 35 passenger cars up the New River. Good luck, always be safe and may God bless you.

Posted from Android

Date: 09/29/16 20:16
Author: Spoony81

Rich_Melvin Wrote:
> Thanks, Mary.
>
> At the risk being accused of some shameless
> self-promotion, you can still buy DVDs of "Runnin'
> That New River Train" from OGR Publishing.
>
> The engineer in the video bears a slight
> resemblance to me. It was shot way back in 1991,
> when I was young...and skinny!

Thanks for the link Rich I just bought a copy. Enjoy your retirement
Erik

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/29/16 21:59
Author: MaryMcPherson

You're quite welcome.  It's surely worth a plug.

I first saw this show when it could be called a "new release," and I think it still stands as one of the strongest modern steam railfan videos out there.

If your 2101 footage makes it to DVD, I'll be in line!  Any older stuff gets my attention.

Rich_Melvin Wrote:
> Thanks, Mary.
>
> At the risk being accused of some shameless
> self-promotion, you can still buy DVDs of "Runnin'
> That New River Train" from OGR Publishing.
>
> The engineer in the video bears a slight
> resemblance to me. It was shot way back in 1991,
> when I was young...and skinny!

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1551 seconds