Home Open Account Help 241 users online

Steam & Excursion > dog houses

Date: 10/25/16 17:35
dog houses
Author: upheritage6

What is the point of them? Anyone have a picture if what they look like inside?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/25/16 18:04
Re: dog houses
Author: CPR_4000

They gave the head brakeman a place to ride. The other option for the head man was to ride behind the fireman in the cab.

Date: 10/25/16 18:35
Author: Spoony81

CPR_4000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They gave the head brakeman a place to ride. The
> other option for the head man was to ride behind
> the fireman in the cab.

They also doubled as an airplane for the famous WWI Flying Ace

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/25/16 18:36
Author: Auburn_Ed

I suggested that the narrow gauge railroads (D&S, C&T) fix them up a bit and SELL them on their trips.  A nice easy chair and windows............

Ed

Date: 10/25/16 19:08
Author: tomstp

Inside a doghouse there was a steam heater with control valve, windows, a seat with in most cases, leather covered straw to make it soft.  Also it had a electric light.  Some doghouses had windows that could be opened all the way, or closed.  Most just had closed windows.

On coal burners the smoke could get in and really dirty up the  person riding in it.  And on all metal ones, in the summer they could be so darn hot that the head brakeman would set on the top of the tender.

Date: 10/25/16 20:15
Author: CPR_4000

Auburn_Ed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suggested that the narrow gauge railroads (D&S,
> C&T) fix them up a bit and SELL them on their
> trips.  A nice easy chair and
> windows............

Great idea. Best place to listen to stack talk!

Date: 10/25/16 20:35
Author: LarryDoyle

Served the same purpose as coupola on the caboose, to give a vantage point for trainman to observe the train.

-Larry Doyle

Date: 10/25/16 23:25
Author: ts1457

If a freight engine was equipped with a stoker, the auger in the tender was a danger to the brakeman riding in the cab when he had to get back to the train.

I know on the Southern Railway, if it added a stoker to an older freight engine, the tender would get a dog house.

Date: 10/25/16 23:31
Author: mp109

PRR freight engines had them,bbut I ddon't rremember ever seeing somebody in one. On the Elmira branch the local freight had a whole caboose for the head brskeman, but on a crew we talked to he was in the engine. I guess he got lonely!

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0405 seconds