Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Steam & Excursion > Steamer at Iowa-Nebraska football game

Date: 11/25/16 14:07
Steamer at Iowa-Nebraska football game
Author: Copy19

I'm watching the Nebraska-Iowa football game on ABC and they showed the annual "Hawkeye Express" parked near the stadium in Iowa City.  There was a steamer on one end.  I thought Iowa Interstate had mothballed their steamer.  What's the story? 

JB - Omaha

Date: 11/25/16 14:32
Re: Steamer at Iowa-Nebraska football game
Author: callum_out

Story is that Iowa is winning-booooo!!! Missed the steamer due to the ABC/ESPN switch.

Out

Date: 11/25/16 14:58

I couldn't tell from the brief glimpse whether not the engine was under steam or coupled to the train.   Come on Huskers!

JB - sweating the game

Date: 11/25/16 15:39
Author: DKay

Go Huskers.
DK

Date: 11/25/16 16:08
Author: BCutter

Unless the really fickle finger of fate intervenes, looks like Nebraska will go down in defeat to -- horrors -- Iowa.  Has to be a sign since Missouri, the doormat of the SEC, beat Arkansas.

Bruce
Columbia MO

Date: 11/25/16 16:13
Author: dan

long cold winter for big red fans, well at least there should be steam at the college world series to thaw y'all out

Date: 11/25/16 16:54
Author: AndyBrown

Boy I don't think so John, at least we heard nothing about it locally.  That would be the sleeper of the century if they snuck that thing over from Newton with nobody knowing about it.  I was going to say it was probably some stock footage from a previous year, but I can't recall them ever using steam on the Hawkeye train.  Will appreciate seeing any other feedback.

Andy

Date: 11/26/16 06:59
Author: elueck

Sorry guys,  this Hawkeye, whose dorm was just down the street from Kinnick Stadium, could not be happier.   First Michigan, now Nebraska!

Date: 11/26/16 09:10

AndyBrown Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Boy I don't think so John, at least we heard
> nothing about it locally.  That would be the
> sleeper of the century if they snuck that thing
> over from Newton with nobody knowing about it.  I
> was going to say it was probably some stock
> footage from a previous year, but I can't recall
> them ever using steam on the Hawkeye train.  Will
> appreciate seeing any other feedback.
>
> Andy

is there a "stuffed and mounted" park steam locomotive anywhere near the stadium in Iowa City?

JB - Omaha

Date: 11/27/16 06:08

Copy19 Wrote:

> is there a "stuffed and mounted" park steam
> locomotive anywhere near the stadium in Iowa
> City?

Negatory.

Andy

Date: 11/28/16 07:45
Author: rfdatalink

I talked with a coworker of mine who works on the Hawkeye Express.   He reports that there were no steam locomotives involved or in sight during the operations.     They did start up one of the diesels that had not been used in some weeks and it was a little smokey.

Stephen

Date: 11/28/16 12:54

I'm told Iowa Interstate has a business car painted black and that might be what we saw through the trees in the TV long shot.

JB - Omaha

Date: 11/28/16 13:21
Author: Spoony81

Has the Iowa Interstate QJ's ever been at Kinnick Stadium for an Iowa game in the past? maybe they just recycled the footage. I didn't watch the game but ESPN likes to use stock footage when they do exterior shots. An example is when they do Illini basketball games in Champaign they always use a night time shot at an intersection downtown, the problem is the footage is over 8 years old because of the extensive renovations the intersection has had. They did the same thing for a Pitt Football game the other night when they showed an aerial view of Pittsburgh and they showed signs on buildings that haven't been on them in 10 years.

Date: 11/28/16 18:05

Spoony81 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Has the Iowa Interstate QJ's ever been at Kinnick
> Stadium for an Iowa game in the past?

I can't recall that one ever was.

Andy

Date: 11/30/16 10:40
Author: MILW86A

I work on the Hawkeye Express and no, no steam engine has ever, or will be used on it.

Probably a lot of smoke from the 678 blowing out the carbons is what you saw.

Go Hawks!

MILW86A

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds