Home Open Account Help 328 users online

Steam & Excursion > This Locomotive Brings Boys Of All Ages Trackside To Watch Her!

Date: 12/04/16 02:47
This Locomotive Brings Boys Of All Ages Trackside To Watch Her!
Author: LoggerHogger

Yes, before anyone says anything, this is the same train as in my post yesterday.  However, I felt this photo was just too good to put off for posting on a later day.

Northern Pacific's big Z-8 4-6-6-4 #5137 and her freight drag are powering through the small town of Mabton, Washington on August 5, 1953.  She has attracted not only Al Farrow whose Chevrolet is parked in the photo he is taking, but also a pair of young boys who have rushed over to trackside to watch the excitement as #5137 charges through town.

Who among us would not rush down to the tracks if we heard this might beast whistling her approach?

Martin

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/16 02:55 by LoggerHogger.

Date: 12/04/16 04:01
Re: This Locomotive Brings Boys Of All Ages Trackside To Watch He
Author: crackerjackhoghead

Martin,
  Feel free to post all the NP you want! With shots like that, you won't get any complaints from me.

Date: 12/04/16 06:13
Author: Frisco1522

That would have been me.  I used to hang out at the MP Maplewood depot after Frisco dizmlized and watch MP steam getting a run at Kirkwood Hill.   I could lay in bed on a still night and hear the doubleheaders for 10-15 minutes working up the hill.
That's a beautiful scene and the engine is pickin em up and layin em down.

Date: 12/04/16 13:20
Author: exhaustED

What a beast! That's a great shot, thanks for sharing!

Date: 12/07/16 20:11
Author: atsf121

Wouldn't need a bike, would run to the tracks to see that thing roll by!

Date: 12/08/16 00:19
Author: hawkinsun

What a hunk of machinery, and not a chinese part anywhere in the photo.   What I'd give to see this today.

Thanks Martin

C. Hanson
Vay, ID

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0446 seconds