Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Steam & Excursion > A week on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway

Date: 12/04/16 07:57
A week on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway
Author: andersonb109

Over the last two weeks, I participated in a 9 day photo charter on the Darjeeling Hill Railway with Tanago Tours, a German company. We had an international group with 3 American's as well as participants from Germany, Switzerland, France, Belgium, and Japan. For the first time, four restored freights cars were operated on the line. And for the first time in many years, the same train covered the entire line which has been prone to washouts and landslips during the monsoon season. Now, the entire line is again open with one service running from Darjeeling to Siliguri Junction several times per week. But it is the north end of the line from Darjeeling to Guam that sees multiple trips over the 4 mile segment each day. Known as the "Joy" train, it alternates between steam and diesel traction. Theh only reason the line continues to be repaired is due to it's UNESCO Heritage status. The line opened in segments starting in 1990 and was built primarily serve the numerous tea plantations in the area.  Following are representative of the trip.

First running through the congested street at Kuresong.  Second at Siliguri Junction Station, near the southern end of the line. Third, at Siliguri Junction shed.

Date: 12/04/16 08:01
Re: A week on the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway

More. The third photo is the Tindharia work shop that lost it's back half to do a landslip. This portion of the  line was closed for many years. The road and track currently share the right of way.

Date: 12/04/16 08:07

First. Somewhere in that photo is a train. Others are at Darjeeling Station.

Date: 12/04/16 08:14

A minor deraliment on one of the reverses. Second shows the first train to pass this area in many years. Much of the line runs along the main road between Siliguri and Darjeeling. Photos are often difficult in the cities with all the traffic. 

Date: 12/04/16 08:16

Oops, repeated the last photo. Dinner anyone?  Thanks for looking. Go now while you have the chance. Very doubtful the line will survive in tact another Monsoon season. We were very fortunate not only with sun everyday but the line fully open. 
Something not experienced by anyone in recent years. 

Date: 12/04/16 08:59
Author: africansteam

Great coverage of a wonderful railroad! Thanks!

Cheers,
Jack

Date: 12/04/16 09:40
Author: TonyJ

Photos good enough for National Geographics! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 12/04/16 12:32
Author: webmaster

Is the coal mined locally or is brought in from outside the area?

Todd Clark
Canyon Country, CA
Trainorders.com

Date: 12/04/16 13:14
Author: BobP

Luv it!

Date: 12/04/16 17:22
Author: funnelfan

Great set of images. The pic of the guy hauling coal to the locomotive gives me a pain in the neck just looking at it.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 12/04/16 21:08
Author: train671

Thanks Bruce for your great images.  Very interesting little engine.  Just glad I don't have
to haul that coal up to the engine each time.  Thanks for sharing.  Have a safe trip home.

Date: 12/04/16 21:34
Author: Earlk

Also note that probably the sa me guy rides on top of the coal pile feeding it down into the cab..
I've seen 1980's vintage films of the D&H with as many as 6 guys on the engine - 2 up front sanding the track, the coal pusher on top of the coal pile, a fireman, an engineer and one more guy who seems to just stand around and be in charge......

Date: 12/05/16 06:41
Author: Hartington

The chickens remind me of the trail in Nepal.   We stopped for the night and the proprietress asked if we'd like chicken for dinner.   We said yes because the alternative was lentils and rice (dahl-bat).   She went to a basket in the corner, pulled out a live chicken and said "this one?".   She went behind a screen, there was a squawk, and about an hour later we had our chicken.   Rather brings home to you the reality of eating meat (but it hasn't stopped me).

By the way, in the initial post I don't think it opened in stages in the 1990s!

Date: 12/05/16 18:13
Author: Harlock

andersonb109 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oops, repeated the last photo. Dinner anyone?
>  Thanks for looking. Go now while you have the
> chance. Very doubtful the line will survive in
> tact another Monsoon season. We were very
> fortunate not only with sun everyday but the line
> fully open. 
> Something not experienced by anyone in recent
> years. 

I've been trying to get there as soon as possible but cost has been an issue. How did you find the prices compared to the DHRS affiliated Darjeeling Tours outfit?

-M

Mike Massee
Tehachapi, CA
Photography, Railroading and more..

Date: 12/07/16 20:14
Author: atsf121

That would be an awesome trip, love your photos.  The "traffic" officer box in the first photo reminds me of the ones I saw on my trip to India a couple of years ago.  Really hope I get to go back someday.

Nathan

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0866 seconds