Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Steam & Excursion > Delaware's Wilmington and Western - 50th season

Date: 12/05/16 22:12
Delaware's Wilmington and Western - 50th season
Author: nhiwwrr

...is nearly coming to a close and I thought I'd just share this month's accomplishments for this all volunteer organization celebrating 50 years, know as the Historic Red Clay Valley Inc.

From November 26th through December 30th, they will have operated 108 schedule trains - 19 Santa Trains, 2 Dinner Trains and 87 Holiday Lights Trains.

As of this posting, only 55 tickets remain for sale on these scheduled trips - 26 tickets for Santa Clause trains (4-5 coach train plus 1-3 cabeese), and 29 tickets remaining for the Holiday Lights trains (PRR Doodlebug). They added 8 Holiday Lights Trains to the original schedule of 79 trips for the month due to demand and they quickly sold out.

[Fun Fact: The W&W started operating Holiday Lights trains in the mid 1980's, originally with steam loco 0-6-0T #3, long before holiday light trains were the "in thing to do". They have run them continually since. Their popularity exploded in the mid 1990's when the schedule was expanded to 20 trips over the 5 days following Christmas, which was a big deal back then!]

While 10,000 riders in a month is not a big number for such places like Strasburg, Grand Canyon and Durango & Silverton, or places that operate themed events like the Polar Express or ones who have bar cars on every trip to keep folks happy, this small organization located in metro area with a LOT more to do than just ride a train (and with great competition from surrounding tourist roads) going at it old school; it's a testament to their ability, with strong volunteer dedication and excellent community support, to produce great returns.

It's been an exciting year for them and while I don't know their overall ridership numbers for this year total, with the success of the above and their fall foliage trips, it's easy to assume they have had a very successful year. Their fall foliage trains, including mid-week trips, were very well patronized, with most trips selling out, as did their Halloween Trips which carried over 800 passengers on those 3 daytime trips.

Not everything has been perfect for them, there have been some minor mechanical issues over the year with their 107 year old 4-4-0 steam locomotive, but they continued to soldier on well. Their 109 year old 0-6-0 steam locomotive should be returning to steam in the coming year. Their equipment, IMO, is some of the best preserved in terms of overall physical condition (most of their passenger equipment is now over a century old) and of course they now have their completely rebuilt ex B&O EMD SW-1 #8408 available to pitch hit for anything they need.

There are many plans ahead for this organization. The redevelopment of the former National Vulcanized Fibre sight in Yorklyn continues, with promising results as a passenger destination for the Railroad upon its completion. I doubt the founding fathers of this organization could have ever predicted the success of this operation, or the many bumps and downright obscene mother nature driven obstacles that would be left in the road for it to traverse, but it's been a journey well traveled by the many men and women who have kept it alive, and for the hundreds of thousands of riders over the last 50 years.

If you have never visited them, make it a point. There are only a handful of tourist roads left out there that are as home spun/old fashioned as the W&W and they all deserve a visit and your support.

Oh, did I mention, they operate all these trips with volunteers?

Seriously though...check them out - www.wwrr.com

And or Donate- https://www.dynamicticketsolutions.com/wilmingtonwestern/wwrr-donation.cfm

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/16 22:57 by nhiwwrr.

Date: 12/06/16 01:36
Re: Delaware's Wilmington and Western - 50th season
Author: ClubCar

I agree 100%, this is a very nice operation over a scenic railroad.
John

Date: 12/06/16 11:37
Author: boejoe

Great complimentary piece.

Date: 12/06/16 19:45
Author: nhiwwrr

As of today, all remaining seats have been sold, they are officially sold out on all trips through December 30. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0474 seconds