Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Steam & Excursion > Sad news for Texican steam fans

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 12/30/16 09:02
Sad news for Texican steam fans
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Hope this is just temporary, but immediate termination of employees doesn't look good.

http://www.tylerpaper.com/TP-News+Local/267350/texas-state-railroadpopular-for-polar-express-train-ridescloses-unclear-for-how-long

Date: 12/30/16 09:20
Re: Sad news for Texican steam fans
Author: tomstp

Doggone shame but, not un-expected.  It seems that all of Ed Ellis steam operations do not last. But, before anyone jumps on him  at least he tried.

The Texas Parks Dept developed the railroad and dedicated tax money to it and knew at the time that state parks as a general rule do not make money. And, those who created it knew that.   But, you know what always happens with government run stuff:   It is subject to the whim of different  politicians who had nothing to do with it in the beginning and wanted the yearly money for something else. Before they made a deal with Harper all we heard was "we can't keep wasting money".  My response to that is  show me a State of  Texas Park that makes money and has a high operating cost..

Date: 12/30/16 09:28
Author: callum_out

It's too bad that the optimistic possibilities for freight never developed, would sure have helped
the bottom line.

Out

Date: 12/30/16 09:30
Author: PHall

Politicians don't care about a State Park and it's railroad. They care about the latest poll results and how they will affect their fund raising and reelection chances.

Date: 12/30/16 09:32
Author: Cjcheely

I was reading some other sources, it sounds like something is up with iowa pacific holdings, the contracted operator of the railroad.

I would imagine the railroad would find another operator

Posted from Android

Date: 12/30/16 09:32
Author: callum_out

I'm sure that's true to some extent but both ends of the railroad have well developed and $$$$ parks
attached.

Out

Date: 12/30/16 09:59
Author: Cjcheely

Hello

I was doing some quick math.

1. Based on there fair structure I figure there making just under 1 million a ticket sales.

2. Gift shop sale should be good since you keystone most of the stuff you sell.

3. Plus looking at there website they where going after the high end luxury crowd next year..Smart move $$$$

4. Plus polar express

I willing to bet it has to do with how much iowa pacific holdings has to give to the state of Texas.

At one point I was involved with tourist railroads and the company i worked was trying to become a operator of a government owned tourist train. We walked away because with % to be give to the owner was to high to make a profit.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/30/16 10:01
Author: eee

Just a seasonal shutdown, same as last year.  But we laid off the PR person and so then she put out bad information....

Date: 12/30/16 10:09
Author: HotWater

eee Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Just a seasonal shutdown, same as last year.  But
> we laid off the PR person and so then she put out
> bad information....

So,,,,,,,,can we assume that she will NOT be called back?

Date: 12/30/16 10:39
Author: march_hare

You might hope that would be a career limiting move.  Glad to hear the operation continues.  I like that line!

Date: 12/30/16 10:58
Author: displacedneb

So much fior working on the equipment during the winter.

Date: 12/30/16 11:07
Author: Hillcrest

HotWater Wrote:
> eee Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Just a seasonal shutdown, same as last year. 
> But
> > we laid off the PR person and so then she put
> out
> > bad information....
>
> So,,,,,,,,can we assume that she will NOT be
> called back?

Reading the article, I think she put all the nails in that coffin...Cheers, Dave

Date: 12/30/16 11:12
Author: WrongWayMurphy

eee Wrote:
> Just a seasonal shutdown, same as last year.  But
> we laid off the PR person and so then she put out
> bad information....

Thanks for clearing that up, many East Texans were really upset this morning !

Date: 12/30/16 11:38
Author: Worthington_S_A

The article has been updated with comments from Mr. Ellis and other IP folks, stating that Ms. Gregg was terminated and that all other seasonal employees would return.

Date: 12/30/16 11:39
Author: Cumbresfan

Notice that the title of the newspaper link in the first post differs from that of the updated article at the link. Hope the door hit her butt but good as she left.

Date: 12/30/16 12:02
Author: tomstp

Another newspaper article says 40 of 42 employees were laid off.

Date: 12/30/16 12:46
Author: elueck

Palestine, Texas city councilman Steve Presley states in the Palestine paper that 8 employees are still on the payroll.  Pressley used to be the President of the Texas State Railroad Authority.

http://www.palestineherald.com/news/updated-texas-state-railroad-not-closing/article_b1aa2016-ceb6-11e6-b6ff-c76f64b0d44e.html

Date: 12/30/16 12:55
Author: highgreengraphics

It's good to get the right news straight from the bosses' mouth on here, thanks EEE! === === = === JLH

Date: 12/30/16 13:34
Author: sptno

I hope that she also included some strong glue.  Hope she stays in that coffin and never to be let out again.

Pat
South Austin, TX

Date: 12/30/16 16:12
Author: displacedneb

One thing that is consistant, the ability of Iowa Pacific to cause very black and white reactions depending on who you talk with. Truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0604 seconds